Logic's in built tuner won't go past an A

Oblight

I've been wondering this for a while with both Logic's built-in tuner and the D'addario clip on tuner I have as well.

I have a bass that is tuned drop G# to get a nice sub bass to songs but both tuners just refuse to pick it up, the lowest I have seen it is an A. Why is this? I would understand the clip on tuners difficulty as the sensor used to pick up the frequency most likely won't be that precise. But logics one? Is there a way to get around it without having to resort to harmonics and octaves?

Thanks

In general it's more challenging for tuners to pick up on those very low notes. This is true of nearly all tuners I've used, hardware or software. It depends also a lot on the source itself, so your bass. It's probably generating frequencies that mess with the tuner's ability to analyze the pitch precisely.

Even when tuners can pick up those notes I find that tuning such low notes with a tuner doesn't yield satisfying results. Our ears tend to favor stretched tunings when low pitches need to be tuned a little lower and high pitches a little higher than what a tuner would say. My preference is to tune those low strings by ear as much as possible.

Yeah i agree, tune to a ready calibrated string an octave up is far better. If your intonation is good, you should be able to tune along the fret also (providing you don't press down to hard). Tune it open, and hold a string to review the change.

I can't even think what Drop G# sounds like on a bass, but maybe that's so low the act of tuning it to an octave up doesn't create those 'woowoow' harmonics that you need for ear.

Logic can put out a test tone too, don't forget.