Can't write notes in piano roll all of a sudden????

Plastic Meanie
Go to solution Solved by Plastic Meanie,

Middle of a big project. Suddenly I can't enter midi notes in the piano roll by drawing them in. If I try a tiny note appears on the left of the midi region but it won't allow me to move it, stretch it or edit it in any way. I can play notes in from my keyboard as normal but if I try and edit these notes, move, stretch etc etc, it won't let me. All I seem to be able to do is delete the notes by highlighting and backspace.

I have restarted the mac, closed and reopened the project several times but the problem persists. Only in this project. Old projects work fine still.

Any ideas what caused this behaviour and how to solve??

Thanks

If you create a new software instrument track in that project and control-click the track, choose Create Empty MIDI Region, then double-click that region: can you pencil in new notes as expected?

No, that's the whole problem. I create a new region, anywhere on the timeline, any sort of software instrument and when I try and add some notes it just creates one on the first beat of the region as per the screengrab. 1045937152_ScreenShot2020-02-22at09_52_30.png.d0297a5e47e25acec08d67c385a6161b.png

• Solution
OK, solved by another Logic guru, Desmond, on the Sound on Sound forum. So big shoutout to him. As I suspected, it was snap behaviour: I had Snap to Grid enabled on the piano roll. Obviously did this accidentally, and it was set to bar, hence the behaviour. I see it has a keyboard shortcut Apple G so maybe I did this accidentally without noticing. But perhaps my stupidity will help somebody else who does the same thing. Apparently the reason you get the tiny notes is, according to the aforementioned: "If the note length is *shorter* than your snap value, you'll get that small note at the start - when you enter it, as you drag to the right to change its length, nothing will happen unless you get the end of the note to the next snap value, at which point the note length will visibly change. In short, the Snap to Grid is helping you both align note starts, *and* note ends." Thanks for your responses everyone. Cheers