Arpeggiator problem.

Glenn L.

Hi there,

This is driving me nuts.

Here is what is happening. I instantiate the arp on a track, test to see if all notes are there before running Logic (they are), press record, and then the first note is missing. It just skips over the first slot in the arp. When I go back and try to play the chord with Logic at rest, the first note note now does not show up or play. I tried to press 'clear' but that has no effect.

Here is a pic: play is engaged.

Please help!

Thanks,

Glenn

1423839739_Screenshot2020-02-24at20_16_40.thumb.jpg.f809cc3d0535594c46c0071b17a099d4.jpg

Hi,

That is intentional. I thought one of the notes might not be playing because it started before 1111. As I said above, it doesn't do this with any other instrument. I went up and down in my template with my various VIs, and they all work as expected. I'm going to try other instruments within Sampletank and see if it isn't just Miro 2 instruments that are doing this.

I deleted the S4 instrument from my template and reinstantiated it. It seems to be working now, BUT when I play a chord, 1 of the 3 notes begins before 1111. It does this every time. I try to quantize it but it doesn't move. I have to manually drag it so that it doesn't begin during the count-in, then it works as expected. This doesn't happen with any other VIs. It's still a mystery to me why the first beat in the Arp didn't play (as shown in the pic above).

Here is a .gif of what's happening. The first 16th note seems to be getting moved to the right. I have a ticket in to IK, but no solution as of yet. Has no one seen this behaviour before? With anything?

This is what I have done:

Instantiate a Miro 2 patch in Sampletank 4 (although it does this with any patch, apparently);

Instantiate Logic's Arp;

The first time I play a triad, it works. This happens without transport engaged. As soon as transport is engaged, it reverts to this behaviour. Further, after this happens, even its resting state, the notes are getting shunted to the right.

Could someone with Sampletank 4 please try to replicate this problem for me?

Thanks,

Glenn

1948403313_S4LARP1.gif.6096e8c055a8432813c0e84a8e7f12da.gif

Hi,

Yes I know that, thanks. I was troubleshooting. If you look at my pic above, you will see that I moved the notes slightly to the right away from the grid to make sure. I seem to be having issues snapping midi notes to grid, even when quantize is engaged. I also moved the cycle bar to 2111 to be sure. Again, no help.

That's odd indeed. Can you reproduce this in a new empty project template? Try as I might with every condition I can think of, I can't get the Arpeggiator to skip the first beat. Notes off the grid, project start marker before 1 1 1 1, doesn't matter. The Arp always plays the first beat here.

I don't have the instruments you mention here. You would think the Arpeggiator being a MIDI FX just processes the incoming MIDI notes independently of the instrument that is located after the MIDI FX? But when I tried removing the instrument, the Arpeggiator no longer arpeggiates. :shock:

So when you get that behavior, if you simply replace the instrument with a Logic instrument, normal behavior resumes? And if you replace the instrument with an IK instrument again, the 'bug' comes back?

Hi David,

Thanks for having a look. I did as you suggested and opened up an empty project, instantiated S4. Now it gets stranger. It worked as it should, BUT it crashed Logic. The weirdness described above only happens with Sampletank 4 and Miroslav 2. All other VIs, including Logic's, work as expected. The only parameters that are different between my template and the empty project are the dynamics and velocity settings in the Inspector. I sent the ticket in to IK on Monday, they got back to me yesterday, but if they are opening an empty project to try to replicate the issue, then they likely won't see it. It, apparenty has little to do with Logic, as S4's internal Arp does the same thing as well. Very strange.

Again, thanks for having a look. I'm going to have a few questions about the Arp. I rarely use it, but have decided to try it. Initially, I wanted an Arped pizzicato cello ensemble to do something with over it, but....It works fine in Logic's Studio Strings. I just watched Steve Horlick's MPV tutorial on the Arp, and I can't seem to replicate properly the results he gets. That's for another thread.

I've sent my main template along with further observations to IK, but won't hear back from them until Monday, earliest. If they come up with an answer (or not) I'll let ya'll know.

Hope you have a great week-end!

Glenn

Ok, it's going on 4 AM here. I was tidying up old templates, getting rid of the obsolete ones. I decided to try one of my old LP9 templates, which after converting to X, seems to function normally with S4 and the arp. So, I've decided to rebuild my main template with the new, converted one. There seems to be some bug in the templates that I set up directly with LPX, or some setting that is causing this issue. The LP9 template was very basic, so there's quite a lot of work to do. Knowing me, I'll be up until dawn sorting this out. And I still won't be finished. :roll:

Tech is great, except when it's not. :?

Not really arcane. I have very limited knowledge of the inner workings of VIs, and how to trouble shoot them.

I simply, after trying and trying with Sampletank 4, and the latest Miro 2 (within Sampletank 4, but the Arp also did the same thing when Miro 2 was instantiated independently) went to the previous version of Miro 2, in which the Arp works as expected, and then I went back to Sampletank 3. Miro 2 works as expected within and without S3, as well as other S3 instruments, with a couple of weird exceptions. However, the S4 GUI is scaleable and more elegant, S3 not. I only bought the SE edition of S4 during one of their sales, so I haven't laid out a lot of cash, and don't use what S4 SE came with, anyway. I've removed S4 from my computer and my templates for the time being. It was suggested (today) that certain folders were in the wrong place, but when I tried to move them to the right place, S4 SE just showed the S4 SE instruments, with everything else, S3 (which includes S2 and its add-ons Sampletron, with the 'Strawberry Fields' flute that I love, which is in my main template, Samplemoog, etc), Miro 2, Syntronik, unavailable. I've asked for further instructions on how to rectify this, and perhaps getting this correct will finally prove to be the fix, but for now, things are working according to my needs, and I don't need to stress anymore over getting this solved completely.

That's about it, really. I had assumed when I bought S4 SE that I had pointed the relevant folders to the right place (otherwise I wouldn't have had access to their contents). Apparently not. And while I can understand why this might cause the crashes, it doesn't explain the weird Arp behaviour that you've seen. So this was 'a' solution, not 'the' solution. An acceptable work around, I guess.

Further...ehm...news.

Had a remote session with someone from IK, who basically came in and cleaned up the folder structure which was causing Logic to crash. However, the Arp problem persists in Sampletank 4, but I found a workaround that may serve my needs well enough. Running the Arp without record or play engaged, and using capture mode, I can get the arpeggiation down into the piano roll. Yay. The project file with the malingering Arp has been sent to IK for review by the developers. So, pretty much as I said above, really. Logic's Arp will only work when play and record are engaged in Sampletank 3, Miroslav 2 performs as expected alone or within Sampletank 3, but not 4.

So, I prefer to use capture anyway. I'm a relative newbie to Arps, and I can see how fun they are and their potential when the notes are laid down to manipulate at will. Mwahahahaha.