Chords into piano riff

3ple

Not directly related to Logic, but since I use Logic to make music, it is hahaha

Anyone knows of any plugin that reads midi chords and automatically creates a piano riff?

I'm not a piano player, but I have chord progressions that I want to use.

I don't want an arpeggiator, because that won't sound like someone playing it.

Any suggestions, besides asking someone to actually play it? :P

I can't think of a plug-in that does that for you but I would spend the time listening to piano riffs in the genre you're interested in, and recreating the pattern manually in the Piano Roll. Maybe I'm crazy but I think that's the fun part about producing music. You get to sharpen your ears by listening to work produced by others while being analytical about what they did, then in turn you sharpen your skills by trying to emulate said work, which is bound to be frustrating because it doesn't sound as good, which in turn make you go back to listening, this time hearing new details you didn't hear the first time, going back to the drawing board with your increased awareness, etc. Now I realize I don't know what conditions under which you're working or how pressed for time you may be.

In this case, it's more like a workaround for beats that I'm producing on a daily basis.

I just need to make it sound a bit more human, but without too much time spent on it, because the idea is to produce something quick.

I've done that work you mentioned in the past and yes, we end up learning a few things, for sure. For my own songs I usually ask a friend of mine and that not only is faster, but he also brings new ideas and ways of playing it that I probably wouldn't think of by doing it myself :)

If there's no plugin like that, I guess I will have to build one hahaha

I'd fiddle around with things like the arpeggiator and "swing." I'll bet that you could get pretty close.

Hmmm... Is there any tool in Logic that would let you select chords and transform them, algorithmically, into a sequence of discrete notes (which would replace the chords), corresponding to what an arpeggiator does in real time but generating an actual fixed sequence of notes? Ahh, the programmer in me is already starting to write a macro ...

(The "chord" would be an input providing a set of notes, which the macro would then distribute, "arpeggiator style," across a specified number of measures in the same or in a different track. Which sounds to me like a useful something that somebody has probably already done ...)

You can get arps that play back based on a MIDI pattern to give a 'natural' sound, one of the free ones does - can't remember if it's BlueArp or not? But they depend on the quality of the MIDI loops you put into them

Also the EZ products do just this with their pattern engines and built in grooves/styles. (EZ keys etc) - Would be best for your requirements i think?

Also, a long shot, but if you have a Yamaha MOTIF/Montage/MOXF/MODF etc. they have a ton of pattern based arps that you can enable and play straight into Logic live. Cubase has this built in too but i guess that's the Yamaha influence.

Maybe I'm crazy but I think that's the fun part about producing music. You get to sharpen your ears by listening to work produced by others while being analytical about what they did, then in turn you sharpen your skills by trying to emulate said work.

As a performer/player i agree with you, but more and more people enjoy just the art of producing, and so are happy to let plugins (Replacement instrumentalists) do the performance legwork and it advances them to become far more creative in a composition/producer domain in a shorter timespan.

Outside of Logic, DAW's that support chord tracks and the real time manipulation of MIDI data via pattern based arps/player styles are well loved features.

It's just as an old school producer would do with real musicians in the studio - you don't need to know how to play an instrument to guide someone on how well it sounds/fits the source material - Software developers are enabling solo producers to to do this with the likes of EZ Keys/Superior Drummer etc.

One day we'll probably have Jimi Hendrix plugins combined with Flea on bass and Will Ferrel on drums (Or the guy that looks like him lol). Maybe we'll also get a Nahmani plugin to aid us with technical issues eh? haha

I'd fiddle around with things like the arpeggiator and "swing." I'll bet that you could get pretty close.

Hmmm... Is there any tool in Logic that would let you select chords and transform them, algorithmically, into a sequence of discrete notes (which would replace the chords), corresponding to what an arpeggiator does in real time but generating an actual fixed sequence of notes? Ahh, the programmer in me is already starting to write a macro ...

(The "chord" would be an input providing a set of notes, which the macro would then distribute, "arpeggiator style," across a specified number of measures in the same or in a different track. Which sounds to me like a useful something that somebody has probably already done ...)

Using the arpeggiator has a problem. It keeps playing note after note. We need rests, short notes, longer notes, full chords that play here and there. That’s why I think a plugin would be the only option.

Regarding your idea, I’m not sure I fully understood what you mean, but are you saying like an arpeggiator where you can pick the notes you want it to play instead of being stuck to the usual up down, random, etc?

You can get arps that play back based on a MIDI pattern to give a 'natural' sound, one of the free ones does - can't remember if it's BlueArp or not? But they depend on the quality of the MIDI loops you put into them

Also the EZ products do just this with their pattern engines and built in grooves/styles. (EZ keys etc) - Would be best for your requirements i think?

Also, a long shot, but if you have a Yamaha MOTIF/Montage/MOXF/MODF etc. they have a ton of pattern based arps that you can enable and play straight into Logic live. Cubase has this built in too but i guess that's the Yamaha influence.

Yes! The EZKeys is exactly what I am looking for. At least, from what I saw on a video. Thanks for the tip!

Now 2 questions, if you know how to answer them:

1 - Once I have my chord progression and riff created, can I just drag and drop the MIDI so I can use another sound?

2 - Is it possible to import a MIDI file with someone else playing a piece and it will analyze and use it as a custom pattern? (Hope it makes sense).

Thanks again :)

Yes! The EZKeys is exactly what I am looking for. At least, from what I saw on a video. Thanks for the tip!

It will be perfect for your needs - trouble is you may find yourself wanting more MIDI packs - because honestly. they're so good at their intended job. BUT, a big plus is that it's all MIDI data so you can further manipulate and add your own swing/transposes etc.

I've stripped out only the bass notes for example, and put them into synth instruments. And extended the higher notes into pads. etc.

1 - Once I have my chord progression and riff created, can I just drag and drop the MIDI so I can use another sound?

Yes you can and, (if the DAW supports it) also re-route live to another plugin too, but drag and drop MIDI is very simple and probably the best option for Logic as re-routing not so straight forward.

2 - Is it possible to import a MIDI file with someone else playing a piece and it will analyze and use it as a custom pattern? (Hope it makes sense).

And yes again, this is easy to do and you can drag from timeline too. From memory it's not as nuanced as Superior Drummer is though. If you've ever used that you can take pre-existing loops/styles and actually slide the complexity level and/or increase/decrease a certain drum hit OR tap out basic rhythms.

I'm sure you can play directly into the plugin too and it will analyse the performance as a loop.

I've only got the EZ Classic Electrics, as i love EP's. It's also a shame none of the EZ collection are on offer as i picked that up for about $60 a while back. They do come on sale quite frequently.

One other thing, the chord wheel is excellent too for compositions, as the inversions match up to how a real pianist would play.

It will be perfect for your needs - trouble is you may find yourself wanting more MIDI packs - because honestly. they're so good at their intended job. BUT, a big plus is that it's all MIDI data so you can further manipulate and add your own swing/transposes etc.

I've stripped out only the bass notes for example, and put them into synth instruments. And extended the higher notes into pads. etc.

Yes you can and, (if the DAW supports it) also re-route live to another plugin too, but drag and drop MIDI is very simple and probably the best option for Logic as re-routing not so straight forward.

And yes again, this is easy to do and you can drag from timeline too. From memory it's not as nuanced as Superior Drummer is though. If you've ever used that you can take pre-existing loops/styles and actually slide the complexity level and/or increase/decrease a certain drum hit OR tap out basic rhythms.

I'm sure you can play directly into the plugin too and it will analyse the performance as a loop.

I've only got the EZ Classic Electrics, as i love EP's. It's also a shame none of the EZ collection are on offer as i picked that up for about $60 a while back. They do come on sale quite frequently.

One other thing, the chord wheel is excellent too for compositions, as the inversions match up to how a real pianist would play.

I started playing with it and wow, so many possibilities. And the sound of the Upright Piano, for what I’m doing now, is just perfect. And yes I can always use other sounds, but to work on an idea, it’s a really good sound.

Yeah I will eventually tweak the melodies, chords, etc, but as a starting point it’s just perfect. And once I have the main idea done and then tweaked it my way, if I want a real pianist to play the final version, at least it’s there already. If necessary at all hahaha

You really have no idea how much I needed this! Really appreciate your reply and tip. Game changer 100% :)