Both waveforms in two tracks are completely silent but look different in terms of thickness?

KikkoAndMoonman

Hello,

So I'm checking over stems and I've realised that with two tracks, though they're both totally silent (I've checked with my volume set to the max), they have a different appearance. One is thicker than the other. What's the reason? I get very paranoid that it's not totally silent and end up adding extra fades...

I262YTG.thumb.png.ceb5da74c17c77e5e35942233d61583e.png

Thanks

Kikko

Please do not use 3rd party sites to host your images, instead, in the future, upload them right here: How to attach files to your post (I fixed the image in this topic). Thanks!

As for your issue, it looks like there's some signal, perhaps just a DC offset, in the file. It's not digital silence (all zeroes). Can you tell us more about what those files are, or how they were recorded?

Please do not use 3rd party sites to host your images, instead, in the future, upload them right here: How to attach files to your post (I fixed the image in this topic). Thanks!

As for your issue, it looks like there's some signal, perhaps just a DC offset, in the file. It's not digital silence (all zeroes). Can you tell us more about what those files are, or how they were recorded?

I'm sorry! I couldn't work out how to do it; I thought I had to put the Imgur link in the brackets. Thanks for sorting/clarifying that for me.

So these are all from virtual instruments. It's strange because when I checked their tails before bouncing, it was totally quiet.

DC is silent but it's still signal. It could also be very low level signal that would be undetectable by the human ear. Like the very end tail of a reverb for example. If you want to troubleshoot this further you could cut a piece like the visible one in your screenshot, convert to a new audio file (so you don't touch the original), and try to remove DC offset or normalize (in the File Audio Editor, Functions menu). If you find DC to remove or normalize works, then the signal isn't digital silence.