Using an external midi instrument (Roland FA-08)

Ertuyo

I want to use the Roland FA-08 as an external midi instrument in Logic Pro X.

My Equipment:

• Mac Mini

• Two studio monitors

• Roland FA-08 (Connected to Mac mini via USB A/B cable)

• Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen (Connected to Mac mini and studio monitors)

I followed the midi setup instructions from Roland itself which is pretty similar to this:

https://support.apple.com/guide/audio-midi-setup/set-up-midi-devices-ams875bae1e0/machttps://support.apple.com/guide/audio-midi-setup/set-up-midi-devices-ams875bae1e0/mac

In Logic's audio settings:

• Input device: Roland FA-08

• Output device: Scarlett 2i2

The first attachment shows how I create my external midi tracks.

My goal:

I want to record sounds from the Roland into Logic as a midi track.

My problem:

Whenever I have multiple external midi tracks, they all produce an output signal when playing the Roland.

I also can't select different sounds for each external midi track. When I change the sound of one track, all the other tracks will be using this sound.

I already tried switching midi channels, but it doesn't change anything.

Does anyone know how I can achieve my goal without the current problems?

Thanks!

create_midi_track.png.c5de836a83435e7a62a90274a3c6e3e1.png

How I create my external midi tracks.

What you describe is normal. Because all your External Instrument tracks have the same audio input (Input 1+2), they all route the same audio signal (the audio signal produced at the two outputs of your Roland) to their own channel strip.

Can your Roland output multiple audio streams at the same time? In other words, in your track dialog, where you've selected Input 1+2, can you select Input 3+4, Input 5+6, etc...?

Is there another way of achieving my goal (even if it means buying extra equipment)?

If your synth has only one stereo pair of outputs (seen as Input 1+2 in Logic Pro X) then you can stream only 1 stereo signal at a time. You could stream 2 mono signals simultaneously by panning one timbre to the left and the other to the right in your synth. Ultimately that's a limit you have to live with, unless Roland offers some kind of multi-output card for your synth. I'm a little surprised they don't have a driver allowing for multiple audio outputs so that's a question you could ask them directly as well.

Otherwise you can bounce one track and then work on another, bounce that one and move on etc...

The FA-08 is a budget instrument, so only stereo audio output over USB. When you want to mix the parts inside Logic, you have to record the audio for each part from the FA-08 independently, which is a PITA but it works.

While more and more multitimbral hardware instruments have USB audio outputs, few have enough channels to handle all the parts at once. Even the $3000+ Korg Kronos only supports stereo output over USB while it's competitor the Yamaha Montage offers 16 stereo (32 mono) outputs over USB. I hate to say read the specs and manuals before buying, but it's the only to know for sure.

Thanks for the additional info enossified.

The workaround, while a little restricting, is still workable. That's how we used to work with multi-timbral instruments, I remember doing this with my Kurzweil K2vx back in the day. I had set up an Aux set to Input 1+2 to constantly monitor the output mix of all voices on the K2vx, and used external MIDI tracks to record, playback and route each timbre's MIDI channel in the Tracks area (then called Arrange window).