Browse Legacy effects strips on an instrument track

fatherom
Go to solution Solved by Jordi Torres,

Hi all,

I'm a relative Logic noob, hope this is an easy question/answer.

If I'm on a track that contains a loop (an audio track) and I bring up the library, I can go to Legacy -> Drum Transformers and choose "Aqueous" for example.

But when I click on an instrument track, the library changes to a list of sounds, not a list of effects bundles. I realize I can copy the channel strip setting from my audio track, but I want to browse/surf all the Legacy effects bundles and audition them, one by one, on my instrument track, relatively quickly. How do I do this?

Thanks,

Chris

• Solution

Hi Chris,

The behavior you're seeing is the expected one, Logic's Library being contextual and all.

However, if you want to have access to audio channel strip settings while having a software instrument track selected, here's a way to achieve it:

Create a symbolic link in your user's instrument channel strip settings folder that points to the factory audio track channel strip settings. To do this open your Terminal (Applications/Utilities) and enter the following:

ln -s /Library/Application\ Support/Logic/Channel\ Strip\ Settings/Track ~/Music/Audio\ Music\ Apps/Channel\ Strip\ Settings/Instrument

The factory audio track channel strip settings will now also be available from the Library, when selecting a software instrument track, under User Channel Strip Settings:

1407065631_Screenshot2020-03-21at18_43_11.thumb.png.971de41e9428472708f2615a723cdcc5.png

J.

ln -s /Library/Application\ Support/Logic/Channel\ Strip\ Settings/Track ~/Music/Audio\ Music\ Apps/Channel\ Strip\ Settings/Instrument

I just want to be sure: are the different slashes and the spaces in the command line above correct? My guess is the forum may have messed up the formatting of the command line you posted. Thanks again.

Edit: never mind, I see what's going on there (the escaped spaces)

Edit: never mind, I see what's going on there (the escaped spaces)

Exactly.

By the way this is how it's formatted for you by the Terminal when you drag and drop each path onto the Terminal window (which is a cool trick). Typing it manually is a bit of a drag.

On the other hand you could type them manually and use double quotes to avoid having to escape the spaces, but in this particular case you would need to either leave the tilde out of the quotes or type the full path instead.

So:

ln -s "/Library/Application Support/Logic/Channel Strip Settings/Track" ~/"Music/Audio Music Apps/Channel Strip Settings/Instrument"

or

ln -s "/Library/Application Support/Logic/Channel Strip Settings/Track" "/Users/username/Music/Audio Music Apps/Channel Strip Settings/Instrument"

J.