How do I change a patch once the audio has been recorded?

codyreifsteck
Go to solution Solved by des99,

yeah, a bit confusing. have you recorded audio, or midi? if it's midi, you can change the patch to anything. if it IS audio... what fuzzflith and des99 said.

and if, for some reason, you're bouncing to audio, save the midi part (mute it), in case you do want to change the sound at some point.

but am guessing it's midi you recorded...

once the audio has been recorded

...seemed pretty clear to me. MIDI notes feeding a software synth that has then been recorded to audio.

But then, it might in fact be a bass guitar. Like, the real thing. If so, "the patch" (ie. fx pedals and plugins) can indeed be changed just like that, as David mentioned.

Hey guys, thanks for all of your responses. I think I recorded MIDI, I selected 'Software Instrument' and am using a midi keyboard to record.

The problem is when I simply select a new patch while I have the recording highlighted, it does not change the recording patch. It only changes the channel strip name.

• Solution

You mean, how do you rename a region? Use the text tool, or the region inspector.

Logic has just named your recorded region with the track name when you recorded it. It doesn't rename regions automatically if you change track names at a later date. Just select the region and rename it to what you want (eg "Bass").

The patch/sound itself is changing, if you play the track now, it will have the new sound. It doesn't matter what the region is called.

What des99 said . . .

What you recorded is called a "midi region". This region has all the midi notes you recorded.

The midi region always keeps the name of the instrument that you first used to record it, if this is an issue and you want to change the name of the midi region, you can right click and change it to anything you want "bass part into" etc.

The midi region always keeps the name of the instrument that you first used to record it

The MIDI Region is named after the track. While the track typically gets the name of the patch you're selecting in the Library, you can name the track whatever you want: double-click the name on the track header and give it the desired name. In your case I would personally name the track "Bass". Now you can record and your MIDI regions will be named Bass. You can then change the patch to whatever patch you want in the Library and the track name "Bass" will remain.

Now is a good time for me to pitch my Logic Pro X book where these kinds of techniques are very clearly covered, so that you start producing music with Logic equipped with a solid set of foundational skills.