environment: record a simple fader movement

lingtalfi

Hi, I'm trying to record a fader movement, but my approach doesn't seem to work.

My setup is an audio track with an apple loop on it, and I've put a channel eq on it, and I try to target the third band's frequency, which reads F-2-17-xx (in a monitor).

So then in the environment I create a vertical 1 fader, and set its output to Fader, channel=2 and -1-=17, and cable it into the audio channel strip.

At that point when I move the fader, the third band's frequency moves along with it, so far so good.

Now in the doc here: https://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/10.4.7/#/lgcp5dd7884c

they seem to say:

"You don’t need any special cabling to record the data generated by a fader. All data generated by faders is recorded on the selected track when Logic Pro is in record or record/pause mode. "

So I (made the fader assignable and) created a new track for it, and assigned it to my fader object, and press record (with that track selected), but the data is never captured (I can see the red region growing, as if it would record, but at the moment I press stop, the region is gone).

Isn't that supposed to work?

What am I missing?

Note: I've been testing the same setup with a vector fader, and I was able to record the midi data (although I had other problems, but let's keep that for another post),

so my question is specifically about a simple fader of type vertical.

First, that site appears to be from 2014 and the documents seem to be describing Logic Pro 10.0.0 . Many things have changed in the mean time.

Second, Fader events are special events that cannot be directly recorded, as you found out. You need to feed the Fader into a Transformer, the Transformer needs to be set to Mode: Track Automation Splitter, and that Transformer needs to be fed directly into the Audio Channel Strip. Now you can write Automation in Touch, Latch or Write modes.

Actually, for the ones interested, I digged a little more into the subject, and here is what I discovered.

Logic pro can record the midi data generated by a fader most of the time, but sometimes it won't allow it,

depending on the output type (control, fader, faderM, ...) and the midi channel.

Basically, if the output type is fader and the midi channel is not 1, then logic won't record the midi data,

in all other cases I've tested (see test results below), it will.

Test results

-------------

Can record midi data in a midi region, with:

- output=control

----- midi channel=1 => yes

----- midi channel=2 (and supposedly other channels) => yes

- output=fader

----- midi channel=2 (and supposedly other channels) => no

- output=faderM

----- midi channel=2 (and supposedly other channels) => yes