Automation modes (Latch/Touch) won't write or save data

ad202

Hello all,

A first post here as I have tried in vain to find a thread that actually addresses this. I am using Logic X Pro 10.4.8 on macOS Catalina 10.15.4

When attempting to add automation to a MIDI track via a CC controller (a knob on my AKAI keyboard) mapped to a control on an instrument in Logic (the problem exists irrespective of the instrument, but for the sake of this example I am just using a standard RetroSynth in Logic) via a Controller Assignment in the Logic interface, I cannot get Logic to actually record / write the automation data that is received during playback when the track is set to either Latch or Touch (or Write, for that matter, which I don't use but which I tested).

To clarify, the CC mapping to the specific setting in the instrument (I have CC #16 mapped to the 'Osc 1 Shape' parameter of the instrument), is being successfully passed to Logic; when I initiate playback with Automation on in Touch/Latch mode, I can see that modulation of the control knob is registered in the automation header (it picks up the details from the assignment), and moreover I can also see the grey value line in the track itself indicating the current value of that parameter setting — and this value bar moves up and down as I modulate the knob during playback, and has its intended audible effect on the instrument being played — so the signal is clearly getting through; it is simply the case that even though Latch / Touch recording is enabled and on, it doesn't actually write the data that is being received. I can modulate the knob during the whole of playback, hear the effects as I do; but nothing is written to the automation lane and future playback involves no recorded automation.

I have tried this during Playback, as is intended for Latch / Touch; I also tested in record mode. No success in either.

To confirm, Settings > Automation > Write Automation for Plug-in is ticked.

I am entirely befuddled! Thank you in advance for help.

AD

First things first: are you able to record the automation if you manually move knobs and sliders inside the Retro Synth?

Thanks for the swift interaction!

I just tried it - and no.

That's really weird...

Ok another test (trying to weed out all the options): can you manually write automation into the track using the Pencil tool, for example? And if so, will it work when you play it back?

Also, is this happening on all new projects? Try creating a different project using another stock template ("HipHop", "Songwriter", etc).

Thanks for the swift interaction!

I just tried it - and no.

That's really weird...

Ok another test (trying to weed out all the options): can you manually write automation into the track using the Pencil tool, for example? And if so, will it work when you play it back?

Also, is this happening on all new projects? Try creating a different project using another stock template ("HipHop", "Songwriter", etc).

My thanks.

Yes, I can manually write in the automation with the pencil.

No, it is not project specific - I have created several new projects to try it.

It also isn't instrument specific.

Puzzles, puzzles...

What I meant was: if you are creating new projects using the same template, it could be the template. I had issues a few months ago with one default template. That's why I was asking if you wanted to try another template, because that could also influence (or not).

Can you zip one of the projects and post it here? Let me try it.

What I meant was: if you are creating new projects using the same template, it could be the template. I had issues a few months ago with one default template. That's why I was asking if you wanted to try another template, because that could also influence (or not).

Here is a sample project (attached). It is a nonsense collection of notes, but is an example of a new project, not from a template, into which a midi track has been added and the automation won't write.

Many thanks!

BITTY.zip

Here is a sample project (attached). It is a nonsense collection of notes, but is an example of a new project, not from a template, into which a midi track has been added and the automation won't write.

Many thanks!

I was able to both write data using a controller and manually moving the knobs.

What I meant by "template" was that when you start a new project, Logic shows you the window and when you select the "Empty Project" option, for example, that's a template. There are other templates and it could be the case of one having a problem, but since I record automation, I guess there's something happening with your Logic or maybe something conflicting between Logic and the OS itself. Catalina isn't the most stable OS, from what I heard, so it wouldn't surprise me that it's another conflict.

Hope someone here can figure it out for you. Good luck and stay safe! ;)