Very slow rendering of BIP.

AndyS
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

_bip, importing, glueing and joining per track, David.

The file is created, but doesn't get drawn for ages. The progress bar in the Control Panel indicates that an overview is being created. Talking of which, Logic has taken to re-drawing overviews for files created the previous day each time I fire up a project. Surely these have already been committed(?)

This is 10.4.6. haven't tried it in 10.4.8 (which has the panning bug :roll:, hence 10.4.6).

I've only tried it on this particular project. I still have over 500 GB on the internal SSD. Everything (bar Apple essentials) is stored on external SSD drives. One drive for projects and files, another for plugin libraries, a third for additional resources. Having said that, the Project SSD is down to 58 GB. Still more than enough to provide links to files, and this project is a simple bouncing affair (just audio files.). Against that, its a 48 kHz project, and I'm having to work on the much hated (with reason) MacBook Pro 2015 T2 chip. Same machine that has the never-ending CoreMIDI problems.

Totally new project – The file you see was imported from the EXT SSD that holds all files. Logic, as you know, imbeds markers and signature in bounced files. I merely click 'yes' instead of 'no' at the import prompt. Nevertheless, I'll do another one, this time importing an unconnected file. (Have to finish up something first - impatient client :roll: ).

Working normally on my failsafe Admin account. So something to do with the current account, clearly. Suggestions? Reinstalling Logic 'again' is time-consuming, and a major hassle, and has rarely solved anything for me in the past. Can't use the secondary account, since it becomes a plug-in authorisation hell.

One possibility: I keep version of Logic zipped up in Applications (for just such problems). Do you know whether this creates problems for macOS? They are renamed (i.e., 'LPX1048' for Logic Pro X 10.4.8), but obviously share the same resources.

No need to consider reinstalling. As you noticed, it's overkill and rarely solves anything. In any case if it's a user account issue, it's not tied to the app package itself.

instead, try deleting your Logic preferences (which are unique to that user account).

One possibility: I keep version of Logic zipped up in Applications (for just such problems). Do you know whether this creates problems for macOS? They are renamed (i.e., 'LPX1048' for Logic Pro X 10.4.8), but obviously share the same resources.

No, this doesn't create any problem.

Thanks for clarifying that, David. Yes, I'd considered the ol' Preference trashing chestnut. How deep does that reach (i..e, will I have to spend a day re-authorising plug-ins?). If it's just things like shortcuts (which are backed up anyhow), or user defaults (easy enough to redo) then no worries. Of course, I can always make a backup of the preference file. It's more simple curiosity really.

Are we talking about: ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic10.plist (since there are several). ?

• Solution
Are we talking about: ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic10.plist (since there are several). ?

Yes, that's the one.

No, it shouldn't affect plug-in authorization, only the preferences you've set under Logic Pro X > Preferences. Like you said, don't actually trash the file, just quit Logic, move the preference file out of the Preferences folder for example on your desktop, restart your Mac and Logic.

Caveat. Trashing prefs has files rendering correctly, but now I have the pan pot bug back again – the very thing I as trying to get away from in 10.4.8. How does anyone mix without pans that ... well... 'pan'.

Seems there's never any joy ever Logic. It just 'doesn't' work.

I'll swap my Deluxe Stratocaster, Les Paul, and house keys in exchange for the will to live! Any takers? :| :shock:

Sorry to hear! I haven't experienced this pan bug myself. :shock:

Cue: "I was born under a bad sign.... ".

Definitely the worst of the bugs – a DAW without panning is like a bike without wheels. Actually, no – that's an Exercise Bike, so it's still useful. :mrgreen:

Doesn't seem to be that common (unlike the CoreMIDI issue – the elephant in the room that Apple continues to ignore :roll:).

A restart sometimes solves it.

Definitely the worst of the bugs – a DAW without panning is like a bike without wheels.

Does this happen to you in 10.4.8?

Yep... both the panning problem, and the eternal wait for CoreMIDI to fire up (though likely unconnected).

I'm back in 10.4.4. So far no problems (other than CoreMIDI).

Strange, not happening here in 10.4.8 with Mojave.

I suspect it has everything to do with the combination of Logic and this particular laptop build: MacBook Pro (2015) T2 chip.

Although I have no problems at all with the latest version of Pro Tools (can you smell the irony?)

Update.

The preference trashing worked for a while, but the slow rendering is back again. Seems to be a purely graphical thing. The file plays back even though it's visually 'blank'.

Exporting a file as soon as it's bounced in place – while still waiting for the overview to be drawn – and opening it in Quicktime shows the file to be fine.

Therefore it appears to be a purely graphical glitch.

Strangely, most of my bugs have graphical elements, both on my studio machine and on the (2018 T2) MbPro.