tuner Q

jpeek345

Hi,

I am writing to ask why my Logic stock tuner gives me an "A-A#"(lands on 'A') when I am testing an Eminor MIDI chord consisting of 3 'E' notes, a 'G' and a 'B'?

I tested an 'E' on a seperate tuner app and it is definitely not an 'A'.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

jpeek345

• 1 year later...
So are you two saying that depending on what waveforms the chord demos predominately...thats what the tuner will pick up even if the chord was comprised of 3 'E' notes across a three octave chord?

What they're saying is that most tuners, like Logic's stock tuner, are meant to detect the pitch of a single note at a time. If you have multiple notes at different pitches (such as a chord), the tuner may or may not detect a pitch, but will often get confused and oscillate between different readings. If the multiple notes are all the same notes at different octaves, then the tuner should detect the pitch.

There are polyphonic tuners (hardware and plug-in) that can detect multiple notes at a time, such as the TC Electronic Polytune: https://www.tcelectronic.com/product.html?modelCode=P0CKF

So are you two saying that depending on what waveforms the chord demos predominately...thats what the tuner will pick up even if the chord was comprised of 3 'E' notes across a three octave chord?

No, what I'm saying is, if you're putting an audio signal or anything other than what's it's intended to work with - a single note of a clearly defined pitch, the display or output is meaningless as what the tuner tries to lock on to is indeterminate.

If I've designed a tool to understand one voice in English, and I get ten people to shout at the tool all at once, then the tool can't do the job it's designed for, as the input is outside of the intended use case and parameters.

A tuner is designed to extract the pitch from a single note accurately, so you can tune it accurately. Anything else won't work.

And yes, there *are* Poly tuners - I use TC's Polytune, both plugin and hardware, and it's great. But again, it's not really designed to give you chord readouts, it's designed for you to strum all six strings of a guitar, and get a rough per-string readout of pitch so you can see at a glance which strings are slightly out and tune them.

If I've designed a tool to understand one voice in English, and I get ten people to shout at the tool all at once, then the tool can't do the job it's designed for, as the input is outside of the intended use case and parameters.

That's an excellent example. Try having multiple people speaking together into a voice recognition app and you can't possibly expect the readout to be accurate.