Core Audio Restarting

Lordfader

Hi Guys

Working in LPX 10.4.8 on my MBP (OSX 10.3.6) and each time I take my headphones out of the their socket I get this message (please see attached), Core Audio restarts and all my instruments and plug ins reload. Im not using any external sound card just the standard OSX.

The same happens when i plug them back in again. No one else I know is getting this problem so is it a preference somewhere that i don't know about?

Has anyone else had this problem?

413763730_ScreenShot2019-04-05at11_23_56.png.cb14bfba4013413b09598b1e4f982d8b.png

Yes, because they are separate audio devices, when you pull out your headphones, that device goes away, and the system has to switch to a new audio device - and that will force Logic to restart core audio, and reload plugins.

I don't know why your devices show up like that on Sierra, inbuilt audio doesn't normally work like that - the line out and headphones port are the same device, and so you can plugin headphones in and out with Core Audio restarts.

But in your case, with the audio devices you have, you'll just have the deal with it, or find some other solution (like plug your headphones into your audio interface, so you're only using one audio device regardless).

Is this a set of USB headphones? Or are you plugging them into the audio output on your MBP?

No, I run High Sierra, and on my MBP (2011), the internal output shows as "Internal Speakers", but if I plug headphones in, that *same audio device's* name changes to "Headphones", but the audio device never changes (so there are no core audio restarts).

In you case, perhaps because of your hardware, your internal speakers and headphones seem to be two different devices that the system switches too when you plug in or remove headphones. In any case, if you are using a proper audio interface, you won't have this problem, as again a single device will handle both cases.