Sidechain third-party plug-in without sidechain option

imsleepy

Hi, I'm assuming this isn't possible but I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way to sidechain a plug-in that doesn't have the sidechain option in the top right corner of it's gui? For example, if I have the D16 Devastor 2(no sidechain option on the plug-in) on Aux Bus 1 and have several drum channels running through that Bus, is there a way to bounce those tracks individually while still hearing the overall effect of all the channels running through the plug-in without a sidechain option?

Thank you very much.

Especially with a distortion unit, there is no way to get the result of a bunch of summed signals on a single signal. Like the sound of a distorted guitar chord is totally different from the sound of six separately distorted strings mixed together.

Re the sidechaining, You could link two channels of, say a compressor, use channel 1 for signal and channel 2 for the sidechain signal. But that restricts you to mono output. You could switch that Aux to Surround for true stereo processing if you're desperate.

Thank you very much for the response. You're right, the overall effect of the Devastor would be slightly different if I was to bounce each track individually, even with a sidechain option. The Devastor has a limiter in it and most of the effect I'm after is from all the signals hitting that limiter. I was curious to see how close I could get with a sidechain hitting it, and also curious if it was possible to add a sidechain to a plug-in that didn't have the option.

I'm not really understanding what you're suggesting with your compressor idea. Like, none of it. I don't know what you mean at all, though I'm sure it's a great idea.

Thanks again

Sidechaining means triggering a dynamic device with a signal that will not be heard through that same signal path.

Hence, using a two-channel unit switched to stereo (which combines their two channels into one trigger signal) so that your bass guitar goes through channel 1 and the kick comes in at channel 2 only to duck the bass on channel 1 will effectively create sidechaining if you only listen to channel 1. You need a unit which has independent threshold settings for each channel though, else the bass guitar will cause triggering too.