Chord names in Logic

DSKcomposer
Go to solution Solved by fuzzfilth,

I have heard, as I did not start using Logic until Logic Pro X, that Logic used to have a feature whereby it would tell you the names of the MIDI chords being played after they are recorded. (I know I can see them as I play them)

Is there a way for the Score editor to list the chords? Or any other way I can have the chords show as they are played?

Thank you.

I have heard, as I did not start using Logic until Logic Pro X, that Logic used to have a feature whereby it would tell you the names of the MIDI chords being played after they are recorded. (I know I can see them as I play them)
It used to be in older versions (LP9, I think), it was a Global track called the Chord track. But not anymore. It was apparently buggy to a point the dev team decided to simply remove it.

Is there a way for the Score editor to list the chords?
You would have to enter them manually. Either via the Chord Grid selector, or from the score partbox

Or any other way I can have the chords show as they are played?
As you mentioned they are showing in the LCD as you play them.

Besides you may find this LPH topic on that subject interesting...

It used to be in older versions (LP9, I think), it was a Global track called the Chord track. But not anymore. It was apparently buggy to a point the dev team decided to simply remove it.

Is there a way for the Score editor to list the chords?
You would have to enter them manually. Either via the Chord Grid selector, or from the score partbox

Or any other way I can have the chords show as they are played?
As you mentioned they are showing in the LCD as you play them.

Besides you may find this LPH topic on that subject interesting...

Thanks - all that IAC stuff is above my pay grade

You're welcome. Why won't you at least try the suggestion that Atlas took the time researching for you ? If you'll get stuck we can help you further.

Well, from reviewing it, it appears that you need an external MIDI controller to accomplish the result

I do not have an external MIDI controller so I cannot even try it

• Solution

You need to follow each step in the post:

- Activate the IAC port in the Audio MIDI Setup utility . (If you don't do this, there will be no IAC port to select)

- In the Environment, cable a MIDI instrument object from the software instrument channel strip that is playing chords you want to see. (In Logic's Environment, create a MIDI Instrument from the New menu. Cable from the Software Instrument to the MIDI Instrument (I wish people would consistently follow the signal flow with their descriptions instead of confusing everyone even more))

- Set the port to IAC as shown in the attachment. (The port of the MIDI Instrument, that is)

- Disable the Record Enable button on the track to prevent a MIDI feedback loop. (Or simple select another track to achieve the same)

You need to follow each step in the post:

- Activate the IAC port in the Audio MIDI Setup utility . (If you don't do this, there will be no IAC port to select)

- In the Environment, cable a MIDI instrument object from the software instrument channel strip that is playing chords you want to see. (In Logic's Environment, create a MIDI Instrument from the New menu. Cable from the Software Instrument to the MIDI Instrument (I wish people would consistently follow the signal flow with their descriptions instead of confusing everyone even more))

- Set the port to IAC as shown in the attachment. (The port of the MIDI Instrument, that is)

- Disable the Record Enable button on the track to prevent a MIDI feedback loop. (Or simple select another track to achieve the same)

Well, I went to the Audio MIDI Setup

Opened the IAC window and clicked the "Device is online box" and clicked "Apply"

Created a new software instrument track in Logic

But, I have no idea how to "cable"

Thanks for trying

mi.gif

Thanks I will try to get this to work :)

I set it up -- it affected the sound (distorted it) and only caught maybe 2 out of the 6 chords in the region

I think I might have to get Scaler

I appreciate all the suggestions and efforts - just did not work for me

Edited by MorphineNoir

mi.gif
mi.gif

I hope i'm not hijacking this thread, but i've never used the environment window in this manner. Is a "port" pretty much the same thing as a buss but for hardware? I'm currently having issues with midi CC using a software instrument track and my Midi Monitor shows that my unrecognized hardware has a different source listed compared to my other hardware which has midi cc working. Is there a way to manipulate the port on a software instrument track in this manner?

edit- nevermind. i found my solution which had nothing to do with ports.