Audio Files Time Stretching When Flex Pitch Is Enabled

HeatherB
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hey everyone,

I've had a look on several forums and have been unable to find anyone with the same problem I'm experiencing. I'm currently recording some vocals for a friend. When I record the vocals and listen back to them they are in time, however, while editing the files, the waveform suddenly shifts and my file becomes time stretched. It isn't time stretched consistently so some bits are slower than others. The majority of the time it's occurring when I enable Flex Pitch (I'm not using Flex Time at all) as I can see the waveform move as soon as I enable it; it doesn't move back to its original form once Flex Pitch is disabled.

If I want to undo this, I can sometimes get the original file back by deleting all of my edits up until the point I recorded it but mostly I'm just having to delete the file and start over. I've been using Logic for years and haven't changed anything recently in my setup nor have I updated anything; I'm not sure why this is happening now but it's driving me crazy!

I'm using Logic 10.4.8 and a MacBook Pro early 2015 (10.13.6).

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Thanks both for your responses!

@Atlas007 I discovered the file was changing no matter what Flex mode is activated. The waveform alters upon the analysing of the audio file rather than at the point Flex is turned on which is why I didn't notice the problem also extended to other Flex modes. Having said that, bouncing in place did work - with this being a vocal arrangement its just a bit of a pain to bounce in place every single region!

@David Nahmani this solved it! I'm unsure why the wrong tempo data would have embedded in the file considering the vocals were recorded after the tempo had already been mapped out. I think the tempo in Logic might be acting up as I had a few other problems.

Long story short, I actually did end up bouncing everything in place afterall as I was also getting loud pops every time the tempo changed (it changes a lot!). I bounced all the files in place, removed all tempo information and SMPTE locked them. I then deleted the project tempo changes and gave the project 1 tempo throughout. This means that although the project tempo no longer matches the files, there are no pops appearing and I don't have to worry about any other tempo-related issues.

Thanks again!