favorite wrist saving "mice"

KeithJames
Go to solution Solved by des99,

Throwing my hat into the ring as I spent a lot of time trying to find the best mouse to alleviate my wrist pain.

Like the OP, I was using the Macbook trackpad in its default state. For many years it was no big deal, but last year I started to experience pain that made working on my Macbook unbearable.

As David suggested, I switched to the clickless functionality of the trackpad. This helped to a certain extent but ultimately didn't alleviate my pain.

I then tried a Logitech trackball mouse (https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Trackman-Marble-Four-Button-Programmable/dp/B001F42MKG/ref=sr_1_19?dchild=1&keywords=logitech+mouse&qid=1585916918&sr=8-19). That mouse was great and did help with my wrist pain. But the buttons designated for scrolling are not optimally placed, which made intuitive scrolling not possible. The best thing about Trackpads, etc is the easy scrolling. So I decided against this mouse.

Then I tried the Trackpad 2, a separate Apple Trackpad that connects via Bluetooth. This device is entirely clickless. But my wrist pain came back with a vengeance.

After that I tried the Kensington Trackball (https://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Expert-Trackball-Mouse-K64325/dp/B00009KH63/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3PT6CD1JTZL97&dchild=1&keywords=kensington+trackball&qid=1585917138&sprefix=kensington%2Caps%2C176&sr=8-1). This thing seems impressive because it's such a huge mouse. But the scroll ring is less than ideal, and the buttons require a lot of button pressing. Despite its focus on ergonomics, whatever pressure was being alleviated from my wrist was now being placed on my thumb due to pressing buttons.

This journey brought me to the Magic Mouse 2. Despite many articles pointing out its slim form factor as being "not" ergonomic, I found it to be the most comfortable mouse option. Shoulder/arm/wrist movement is very minimal if you turn mouse movement to its fastest. Left/right button clicking does require an actual press, but I find the movement so minimal it doesn't bother me. And sliding my fingers to scroll is brilliant.

Of course, the best mouse for anyone depends on the person and their circumstances. I guess I found the placement of a Macbook trackpad not optimal for my arm and wrist placement. These days I work on an iMac with the Apple Magic Mouse 2 and Apple Bluetooth keyboard almost exclusively for the last year or so. No pains to report.

But when I return to the Macbook to do a little web browsing using the trackpad and built-in keyboard, the irritation to my wrists and hands comes back in no time flat.

Hope this helps!

Well at least it's not 6 fingers!!! Hahaha... seriously though 4 fingers sounds a bit cumbersome. There's got to be a better way. If I can do it so can you. Not sure what is going on on your Mac exactly that would make it behave like that.

I do wish all the input device behaviors were set in one central place on the Mac rather than being split between Trackpad preferences and Accessibility preferences.

David Hi

FYI

I experimented after working on songs, if you set the 3 finger gesture in Accessibilty (so you can use the Logic fader controls,) then that cancels out being able to use it for swiping in other areas, then you need to use 4 fingers, or you dont use the Accessibilty 3 finger thing for the mixer and keep the 3 finger gesture for swiping etc,

I actually really like to be able to move the Logic faders with out clicking and dragging, and I am fine using 4 fingers for swiping in other areas. sorted, its a hard life

I definitely enjoyed your mouse history and will take a note of Magic Mouse 2 for possible future need.

I enjoyed it too!

Though I would never use the Magic Mouse 2 again, having the recharging port underneath?? whats that all about? it is a great mouse though, but I would get more pain from having to keep connecting it to recharge every few weeks, then you DO need trackpad in the meantime.

slightly off topic...

I gave up using bluetooth stuff a while back, I have my magic keyboard and trackpad permanently wired now,

Anyways, good that people can find suitable mice n' stuff.

Though I would never use the Magic Mouse 2 again, having the recharging port underneath?? whats that all about?

I agree with you 100% on the bottom facing charge port! That is pretty lame. I just keep tabs on the battery level of the mouse so I can charge it overnight.

Thanks for reading about my journey for a decent mouse :D

I would LOVE to use two trackpads. I even looked into it last night online and read some conversation about it on some help blog and the answer came back that the two trackpads would compete, not function. I didn't feel confident in that answer. Wouldn't two trackpads work at the same time? I'm very ambidextrous and having one on each side of me would fantastic.

I would LOVE to use two trackpads. I even looked into it last night online and read some conversation about it on some help blog and the answer came back that the two trackpads would compete, not function. I didn't feel confident in that answer. Wouldn't two trackpads work at the same time? I'm very ambidextrous and having one on each side of me would fantastic.

I used to have the mouse AND the trackpad, both worked together, of course theres only ONE cursor, but both trackpads would control it, with your left or right hand.

I use 2 keyboards, one is on my desk, the other on the far side of the room on a music stand with my vocal mic, I can control from either.

I cant see why 2 track pads would not function? I dont have two to try, but as i said I am using 2 keyboards now, just tried tried two mice, no problem

and I done some research, you can use multiple trackpads, mice or keyboards, understanding they all control the ONE cursor.

Yes. I've used a wired keyboard and a wireless at the same time and had no problem. Also same with wireless trackpad and a wired mouse at the same time. But haven't done two wireless, but if your keyboards both wireless worked seems same thing should be with the trackpads. I'm likely to buy a used trackpad and start using two.

Yes. I've used a wired keyboard and a wireless at the same time and had no problem. Also same with wireless trackpad and a wired mouse at the same time. But haven't done two wireless, but if your keyboards both wireless worked seems same thing should be with the trackpads. I'm likely to buy a used trackpad and start using two.

Wired or wireless makes no difference, you can have multiples of a keyboard mouse or trackpad, always only one cursor!

I have settled for my main desk keyboard and trackpad to be wired, I dont trust bluetooth connections, but the keyboard at the far side if the room for when doing vocals is wireless, at the moment, I think eventually I will get an extension for the cable and have everything wired, which I think is safer.

But as I said, wired or not or mixed wired and wireless, all work in multiples.

xchrisxtopher thanks so much for sharing, very insightful and may be useful to me if one day even the Trackpad creates too much pain for me. Not ideally placed on my MacBook, I agree, but I do like the Magic Trackpad 2 which I can place to the right of the magic keyboard.

You bet! I think this thread only proves that the ideal mouse for anyone is purely a personal decision. My experience is a combination of my preferences, workspace - and frankly - bad habits.

Seated at a desk with a decent chair, the Magic Mouse 2 appears to dissuade me from bad habits of posture. It's quite possible the Trackpad 2 couldn't negotiate with my lazy habits once I got into that flow state of not paying attention to self-preservation.

For myself, I think the ideal work set-up is the one that saves me from myself :lol: