Does Logic "preserv" the ORIGINAL audio files?

Autorall
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

I'm editing a reference mix for my band (while we're all in isolation here, lol), but I'm so happy with the original recordings (specially the vocals) that I'm wondering here:

does Logic saves/preservs the original audio files, even after I've imported and edited those in my session?

Asking this cause I might use the original audio files I've recorded for the final mix (that will be mixed by another guy).

Thanks!

• Solution

First of all, make sure you have a backup of the original recording on some storage device that is not connected to your Mac. That way if anything goes wrong, you have a safety net. Things can always go wrong.

Now having said that, Logic doesn't "save" or "preserve" the original audio files, it just refers to them to play them back and as long as you edit the audio regions in the Tracks area, it does not touch the files, so that they should remain exactly where they are and in the state they are unless you voluntarily move them or edit them destructively for example in the Audio File editor.

So it all depends what kind of editing you're talking about.

Hi David!

Okay, I'm reading right now about destructive and non-destructive editing. I just went to check out my audio files folder and I see I hadn't make any destructive editings (didn't use the Audio File Editor), but I did use Flex Time a lot (outside Audio file editor), so I assume this feature isn't destructive, right?

I'm gonna back up all the session right now to another hard drive, so I will be sure I will have a 'safe version' for further editings.

Thanks!

I can add that if the option "Copy audio files into project" is selected in the "project settings -> Assets", Logic will work on a copy of the original file, and not the file itself. This option is activated by default it seems to me in Logic. But David is right, a backup is always necessary just in case!

Other operations, such as quantizing and pitch-correction, are also "non-destructive," which is a very nice thing.

If you find it necessary to do a "freeze" or "bounce," this will create a new audio track containing the output, while muting the input tracks that were used to create it.

- - - - -

External USB-C connected hard drives are available with ridiculously-large capacities for prices next to nothing, at any office-supply store. Simply reformat them with an Apple disk format using Disk Utility and you're on your way. Use one, connected all the time, for Time Machine backups which will unobtrusively "just happen" every hour or so. (Manually trigger another backup as frequently as necessary. Be sure Logic isn't "doing anything" while that backup runs.) Use another drive or drives for offline storage of anything that is important to you or irreplaceable. Keep it in your desk drawer or in a fire-safe.