Logic keeps reconnecting to my midi keyboard and turning it on/off automatically

JoshJ

Logic keeps throwing out the following dialog messages. My midi keyboard (Alesis VI61) subsequently keeps switching on and off automatically. It's lights flashing as if I’ve just manually switched it on. This is happening ever 20 seconds or so without me touching the keyboard. I contacted Alesis about this and they told me to test it on another DAW. Tried it in Reason and it works fine. No issues at all. Has anyone got any ideas? 50% of the time I try to use the key board it doesn't trigger midi;

"Changed number of MIDI inputs/outputs

Now 0 inputs and 1 output are available."

"Changed number of MIDI inputs/outputs

Now 1 input and 3 outputs are available."

Its connected to a powered usb hub. But Ive already tried connecting directly to the mac and it still keeps disconnecting. I've tried connecting. Ive tried a new usb lead. As i said, it works perfectly with Reason hence Im wondering if it has something to go with Logic

Its connected to a powered usb hub. But Ive already tried connecting directly to the mac and it still keeps disconnecting.

Tried different ports on the Mac? Not all ports can supply the full power. If you can, have you tried powering the keyboard via a power supply?

As i said, it works perfectly with Reason hence Im wondering if it has something to go with Logic

It's possible, but not necessarily true - it could be behaving the same way, it's just that Reason doesn't care, or doesn't alert you when MIDI ports come and go, like Logic does. So the problem may be identical in Reason (and any other app), it's just that Reason isn't complaining about it.

The root cause though is that something is reporting MIDI ports coming and going on the system, which sounds like a system issue, which is why I suspect the USB power in the first instance.

Yes I've tried different ports on the Mac. Any Logic isnt just reporting Midi ports coming and going, the keyboard is actually disconnecting and connecting on its own account. Meaning i press the keys and nothing comes out of the speakers. This problem does no occurs in Reason. The keyboard worked fine for ages with Logic also

I know of no way that Logic can command a keyboard to turn itself off.

I suggest the following:

• Buy a powered USB hub, connect your computer to the hub, and then connect the keyboard to the hub. This will ensure that, if the device is expecting the USB to supply power, the power will be there because the hub will supply it.
  • "Don't expect the USB to supply power." If the device can be plugged-in, do so.
  • A "UPS box" (uninterruptible power supply ...) is good for stabilizing power to just about everything.
    • Be sure that the wall socket actually has an earth-ground that is actually wired up, and that there aren't too many other things on that circuit. "Under-voltage" and "ground loops" can be hard to diagnose, and they can play hell with electronics. Call a licensed electrician: they've got the diagnostic tools.
    • Exactly the same thing can be the root cause of unexplained "hum" and "noise."

[*] Well, it seems to me very possible that your keyboard is broken ...

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...