Reversed scrolling on faders in 10.4.8?

zemelb

I recently updated to LPX 10.4.8 and Catalina, and am now realizing that somewhere along the way Logic reversed how it responds to scrolls on faders and aux sends. It used to be that when i scrolled down on my mouse, the fader would move down, and when i scrolled up it would move up. Now it's reversed - if I scroll down on the mouse, it moves the fader up, and vice versa.

Anyone know if there's a setting to switch this back? As far as minor annoyances go, it's high up on the list.

Hi zemelb,

System Preferences > Mouse > check "Scroll direction: Natural"?

J.

Should have clarified this is ONLY happening on the faders and Aux sends. Nowhere else on the computer. Natural scrolling is turned off in system preferences. This seems to be an issue specifically within logic and specifically on the faders and Aux send "knobs", scrolling in the arrangement window and mixer window is all normal.

Do you have some kind of mouse replacement software like USB Overdrive, Steermouse, or the Logitech mouse software?

You can change the way the mouse behaves, even on a per-app basis. It's possible that you had configured this different to how it is now (or had something installed that now isn't?)

Ok. I see the same behaviour (High Sierra, LPX 10.4.8), with the mouse scroll wheel on the inspector channelstrips.

Scroll direction: Natural - but I use Steermouse which reverses some things but leaves other alone (for legacy reasons which I'm not getting into for now - I think for me it's to keep the trackpad operating "Naturally", but reverse the scroll wheel behaviour which in natural mode operates the reverse to how I'd like).

With Steermouse off, and Natural mode on, the faders/pans etc scroll in the direction I'd expect (Natural mode - scroll the wheel down, fader goes down). Natural mode off, scrolling wheel down, fader goes up.

Natural mode on, steermouse on, I get the same behaviour as Natural mode off - scrolling down makes fader go up (as I have Steermouse reverse some things).

In any case, for regular folks, Natural mode should scroll the fader as expected. As the OP has Natural mode off, you get this behaviour. Turn Natural on to switch it (and this is the mode Apple want you to use in general.)

If you *don't* want regular Natural mode, but *do* want the faders to move from the scroll wheel as expected, you can use Steermouse to control the behaviour of just one of those components.

Turn Natural mode on and get used to the new modern way of scrolling? (it's a bit of a pain at first, but it won me over in a short period of time, and I think it's the better way of doing things in general).

You can also use regular dragging for faders, and you can also use a three-finger drag mode to do the same thing if you enable it.