MIDI notes from external sequencer not being "seen" by Logic

spride
Go to solution Solved by JakobP,

I must be doing something obvious wrongly here.

I have several external sequencers connected over USB to my iMac running Logic Pro X (Arturia BeatStep, BeatStep Pro, Keystep). These all work fine in the following circumstances:

• Sending MIDI notes to a standalone AU instrument (e.g. any of the Arturia V-Collection, G-Force Oddity 2, either as controllers or as sequencers
    Sending MIDI notes to Channel Strips with AU instrument plugins in MainStage 3

Using MIDI Monitor I can see the MIDI note on/off data arriving at the Mac correctly and on the correct channels (5, 11, 13 and 15 respectively)

However when I send MIDI input from any of these to channels in Logic, none of the plugins sounds, and there is no green MIDI light on any of the tracks in the Tracks area. In Record mode, nothing is recorded. This happens whether I send MMC Start to the sequencers or trigger them manually (no External Sync).

File > Project Settings > Recording> Auto Demix by Channel… is checked because my ultimate goal is to record a "live" set using multiple sequencer and MIDI controller keyboard inputs.

I've googled and searched here and found nothing. What on earth am I doing wrong?

Infinite gratitude in advance

I am getting closer. If I arm every target track AND multi-select all the tracks before recording:

Every USB midi device records its output EXCEPT the BeatStep Pro, which has multiple sequencers on different MIDI channels (10, 11, 13) but the SAME USB connection. It looks a lot like Logic doesn't like this one bit, whereas MainStage and Reaper have no problem with it.

aaaand. I think I have a smoking gun, but I don't know who fired it.

TL;DR version is that Logic is using the wrong device for the BeatStep Pro.

In the Logic Environment, Clicks and Ports section, in the Physical Inputs section the entry for the BeatStep Pro is shown as Arturia BeatStep Pro OutEditor [sic], or rather "Arturia BeatStep Pro O…" as it's truncated (see screenshot).

In Reaper [1], I can see two MIDI devices, "Arturia BeatStep Pro " and "Arturia BeatStep Pro OutEditor". I can disable the latter without affecting the MIDI data received into Reaper from the BeatStep Pro which proves it's the other one, "Arturia BeatStep Pro" that is sending MIDI data.(Most Arturia devices have separable MIDI IN and OUT devices that can be on different channels).

Somehow Logic is automagically choosing the wrong MIDI device / port for the BeatStep Pro that no other piece of software does. I do not see anywhere in Logic or Audio MIDI setup where I can tell it which MIDI device to use for the BSP. Any ideas, Logicians?

[1] I can also see two "Arturia BeatStep Pro…" devices in the Audio Settings preferences in all the Arturia AU instrument standalone apps, but the Settings window is just too narrow for me to see which is the Arturia BeatStep Pro OutEditor device to confirm this. Reaper is the only thing I have that shows the whole name.

2084543379_ScreenShot2020-04-16at1_12_04PM.png.6de26ca8dc2ed9ba1b031c53c89d726b.png

Edited by spride

It's in Project Settings > MIDI > Input Filter and is global to the project - no individual MIDI devices can be selected. And it's blank. Thanks for trying to help! The real issue is Logic is picking the wrong MIDI port on the sequencer, from which no MIDI will ever emerge, instead of the "In" port aka output. [Thanks, Arturia, real obvious].