Novation SL MKII

xmacvicar

I just bought one of these today and I understand that using Catalina it's not possible to use the auto map software however it does state on apples site that logic shows that this thing is set to automatically work when discovered. That being said nothing works on this thing so what is the point of Apple showing that it's set to auto work when in fact doesn't? Does anyone have any tips or insight to what may be wrong in the confirmation?

Yes, if you want to control Logic without writing your own templates.

Novation stopped working on updates to Automap a few years ago.

Not completely accurate, they’ve been doing updates all along, mostly to keep it available for Cubase. I doubt we’ll ever see a 64 bit version. I can’t get it to work on any version of Logic past 10.4.4 on my main computer but did get to work on one of my secondary machines. That is one of the reasons I’ve stuck with 10.4.4.

But even without Automap the SLII is still a very fine controller for Logic. I don’t use it much for editing plugins, I’ve been making standard templates for that. I mostly use it for Key Commands, which most of not all of those would be available as CC commands anyway, and if/when I totally give up on Automap I will likely replace it with Keyboard Maestro. I’ll miss some feature but most of those will be replace by Logic Remote.

Download the editor, it makes creating templates pretty easy.

Ah, not sure about this. I have an SLMkIII and it works with LPX. Panning, track choice, muting and soloing, of course record stop and start. I am however still on High Sierra. Not sure what Auto Map is - a separate program?

Completely different creature. Automap acted as a layer between the hardware and Logic and allowed for very easy assignments of controls. It worked better than a lot of the nay sayers say it did but wasn’t perfect.

A couple of key differences between the SL2 and SL3 functionality is being able to assign key commands and in non-Automap templates you can program sysex to controls. But the SL3 doesn’t need a software layer in between, so that’s a good thing.

Download the editor, it makes creating templates pretty easy.

I've gotten pretty far tonight reading the manual and playing with it. However I am still hitting some serious walls I cannot figure out.

Where do you download the editor? I checked novation site but do not see anything of the sort. Will it work on a 64 bit Mac? (Catalina)

I am not sure if you can help me, but here are some things I cannot figure out - at all (STUMPED):

1. Clicking transport button (according to documentation) means I can use these as regular transport buttons in Logic. This is not true. These do not work by default, and if I try to learn the transport commands from Logic with transport button enabled, it does not work. Turn OFF transport button, I can now learn the assignments in logic. Weird.

2. My biggest hang up now is the button state. For example, I assigned CYCLE on/off to a regular button on this controller. The only way to get it to work properly is to set the button to "momentary" - each press will enable/disable cycle. However, in Momentary the button does not inherit the usual "ON / OFF" status of the button light like you would expect. If you set the button to "Toggle" - the on / off light status works exactly like you would expect, however, you now have to press the button 2x each time to get the cycle to turn off and on. This is true of other buttons as well. It is like there is no compromise between the two :( Maybe there is something in LOGIC I can set so that I can maintain toggle in the SL MKII for the button light on/off status, but only have to press it once to enable and once to disable?

The transport buttons would only work with the lighted up transport button on the controller if Automap were working, so this is expected behavior.

The SL2 editor never left Beta, which is strange. There is a link for it at their site, you didn’t look in the correct spot.

http://beta.novationmusic.com/releases/sl_mkii/

I imagine it won’t work in Catalina, I haven’t upgraded any of my music machine to it and won’t until I have to for various reasons.

For cycle and other toggled commands assign both the On and Off states, then you don’t need to hit it twice.

For cycle and other toggled commands assign both the On and Off states, then you don’t need to hit it twice.

Interesting. In the key commands I just simple chose to assign Cycle Mode to a button. If I were to do as you suggest, is that a different option such as Cycle Preview On/Off? I ask because....

Earlier when assigning the cycle command to a button, I tried both clicking, and also clicking twice (as per an old forum post I found in my research). I do see that when you are learning commands and you press twice, a different value appears - I thought this would solve the issue but it does not. Performing a two button press in the learn sequence does not solve my prior explained issue.

• 6 months later...

xmacvicor- I’m having the same issues.

set the button to "momentary" - each press will enable/disable cycle. However, in Momentary the button does not inherit the usual "ON / OFF" status of the button light like you would expect. If you set the button to "Toggle" - the on / off light status works exactly like you would expect, however, you now have to press the button 2x each time to get the cycle to turn off and on.

I read in the manual last night that “learned controllers and smart control assignments are automatically setup to provide feedback” - meaning that the midi you send from a controller is sent back to the controller to update the display on said controller to update what is displayed (LEDs, LCD Text etc.) Maybe we can get Logic to tell the SL MKII what state it’s in?

I am hoping to program separate ZONES in the controller assignment window for each bank of encoders, knobs, faders & buttons and switch MODES to control mixer, channelEQ and smart controls. Anyone have this kind of experience in the controller assignments window? :lol: :mrgreen: