How to re-create the Preview channel strip

Bebop26

I have some templates that do not have the Preview channel strip (because at the time of creation of the templates, thinking I would not need that Preview channel, I unfortunately deleted it).

Can I re-create a Preview channel strip in an existing template or in an existing project ?

Thanks !

The highest numbered Channel in the Project is always used as the Preview Channel. So first disable Project Settings>Audio>Channel Strip>Automatic Management of Channel Strip Objects, then go into the Environment and do this:

pw.gif.eecb565af786a715e176b424927cfaed.gif

Afterwards, you should enable Project Settings>Audio>Channel Strip>Automatic Management of Channel Strip Objects

Thanks for taking the time, Christian.

With your comment, I think that I understand something now, tell me if I'm right.

Since I created a template where there was no Preview channel named by this correct name (I deleted the Preview channel before creating the template), all the projects that I created with that template had no channel strip named Preview. But I always had a channel where the solo button had a red slash on it, like on this picture :

1041540945_Capturedcranle2020-05-0620_46_38.thumb.png.a8b3355c540a128b82f9108dd74076ec.png

In fact, is this TENOR TRACK a Preview channel ?

I could just name these tracks Preview and I would have a Preview channel where I do not have it anymore ?

I re-created my Template.

Incidently, I work with an Apollo Twin interface.

Now, Logic chooses to assign MON L to the input of my Preview channel when I open a new project with my this template.

I still did not experiment that Preview channel, I'm working on it and I try to get things ready !

Is it normal and correct to have MON L as the input for the Preview channel ? Do I have to make some specific settings on my Apollo for the Preview to work correctly ?

I hope that you'll understand my english ,which is bulky, and I thank you for your help.

The best to you.

If you don't have a dedicated, high numbered channel reserved for preview, the currently highest number will be the preview channel. This can be highly irritating, as this will always switch around to the channel that you last created, and will be a distorted guitar rack, then drown in reverb, then have no bass at all.

OK...

1. I have to admit that I do not understand WHERE you go, AT FIRST, to select that highest numbered channel... I can't see a place in Logic where I have NEW, EDIT, OPTIONS, VIEW...

2. In order to avoid having an ever changing channel that becomes the Preview, dp I really have to do this in every project or template, or it can be some kind of a general preference ?

Thanks for your generosity.

Wow... I admit that all this story is a mystery for me. MIDI environnment to adjust some settings related to audio samples ... ???

I'm confused, but I found the window he was Fuzzfilth was talking about. Now, I will be able to do what he explained me. I do not understand the theory foundations of all this... it's a big mystery.

After I'll do it, will it be applied to all my projects ? Is it a general setting or a project setting ?

Merci.

After I'll do it, will it be applied to all my projects ? Is it a general setting or a project setting ?

If you start from the basic Logic template, it will be there.

If you start from a template you created, you have to make sure it's there.

You have to do this to all the projects that don't have the Prelisten.

• 2 years later...
On 5/6/2020 at 11:09 PM, fuzzfilth said:

The highest numbered Channel in the Project is always used as the Preview Channel. So first disable Project Settings>Audio>Channel Strip>Automatic Management of Channel Strip Objects, then go into the Environment and do this:

pw.gif.eecb565af786a715e176b424927cfaed.gif

Afterwards, you should enable Project Settings>Audio>Channel Strip>Automatic Management of Channel Strip Objects

Hi Fuzzfilth, I tried your method, the thing is even though I disabled "Automatic Management of Channel Strip Objects" I still didn't see so many audio channels after creating a new track... I only see 3 grayed reserved Audio (like nothing happened with disabling "Automatic Management of Channel Strip Objects")

What's going on...

On 7/15/2022 at 3:56 PM, fuzzfilth said:

The handling of this has changed significantly over the last few Logic versions, so what is your Logic version ?

Hi Fuzzfilth! I tried import everything into a new session, it works! But I still want to know whether your method still working on last few version Logic. If you know how to handling with it, could you please tell me how?