Logic Pro X - What's new in 10.5

des99

Ultrabeat now displays in higher resolution on high density displays.

Cool.

Plug-ins now continue to work on computers with more than 3120 plug-ins installed.

Good to know. :shock: 8-)

All UI elements in Logic now display correctly when Logic is launched from within a folder whose name starts or ends with a question mark.

Blimey. Who says they don't do good testing, then..?

sadly that's where my problem starts, click the link on the page, it wants to open iTunes, let it, says there's nothing in UK, store, 'click here to go to US store' nothing there either..

I'm not sure why, the link takes me to the App Store (not iTunes) with a Mojave download:

mojave.png

I get this when I open the link with iTunes and App Store does literally nothing

1517085737_ScreenShot2020-05-12at14_28_58.thumb.jpg.275786be63dfc30dba2a4c492fa98ea8.jpg

how on earth do I upgrade to Mojave?

No zoom fixes, yuck!

Still, seems to be a great update. Can imagine having plenty of fun with all the new sampling options.

If anyone feels inclined: I need a quick tip for a metal compatible GPU for my cheesgrater, so I can finally update to Mojave. Due to 100% job loss (for obvious reasons), the cheaper, the better. Quality can be just as good/bad as with the stock GPU.

No new manuals yet - nothing in iBooks and no updated web manual either.

They are now all available. The release notes are now available in two formats: long https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207735 and much longer https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203718

Thanks, but those are simply release notes.

I'm talking about actual manuals - these do not appear to have been updated yet.

It looks like they've done a *great* job with Sampler and Quick Sampler - lots of Keymap-auto stuff in there, you can live sample directly into it, autosampling is in there, and the whole interface has been overhauled - lots of great workflow features.

EXS24 is dead and gone - replaced by Sampler and Quick Sampler.

I have some questions about this. What are the implications for already created songs that used EXS24?

Also, I did some auto-sampling in MainStage and was using them in ESX24 in Logic...will those still be there, just with this new "Sampler" UI?

I have some questions about this. What are the implications for already created songs that used EXS24?

Sampler is fully compatible with all EXS24 files.

Also, I did some auto-sampling in MainStage and was using them in ESX24 in Logic...will those still be there, just with this new "Sampler" UI?

Yes, they should just instead load with Sampler seamlessly.

Wow, so you're saying that Sampler will open up in EXS24 place on legacy projects? I presumed EXS24 would still exist in the legacy plugin selections - and thus open with older projects.

Edited by skijumptoes

Wow, so you're saying that Sampler will open up in EXS24 place on legacy projects? I presumed EXS24 would still exist in the legacy plugin selections - and thus open with older projects.

"We redesigned and improved our most popular plug-in — the EXS24 Sampler — and renamed it Sampler. The new single-window design makes it easier to create and edit sampler instruments while remaining backward compatible with all EXS24 files."

thanks Sascha. My machine is a 2014 iMac so doesn't fall under the unsupported list, I'm pretty sure. I'll try to download using the patcher from that site.. I shouldn't need to do all the rest of it though, from what i understand

Yeah, it's a bit strange that you can't see the Mojave download in the App Store. Until a while ago I could even get it from there with this unsupported machine (but I think the old version needed a new certificate).

Yes, they should just instead load with Sampler seamlessly.

Cool thanks...just being cautious. For any projects that are currently utilizing EXS24 configurations, will those projects, when loaded, automatically "just work" and utilize the new Sampler?

PDC side-chain bug is not fixed.
Thanks for posting that, it was the first question I had after seeing the update. New features look fantastic but that is really bad news.

Not only missing side-chain PDC but also still no plug-in delay compensation for automation. This can't be real!!!

logic-automation-pdc-broken.png

Please write to Apple and make a report: https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

Information why you can't use UAD or any other high latency plug-ins to its full extent in Logic Pro X: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145627&p=759021#p759021

Yes! Fantastic update folks.

• Quick Sampler makes it a breathe to incorporate samples quickly into your workflow.

• Drum Machine Designer has now one instrument for each pad. Can be Quick Sampler or Drum Synth or an Ultrabeat voice.

• Step Sequencer is absolutely amazing. To sequence drum hits obviously but also melodies and even automation!!

• Live Loops is a new area that can share the center of the main window with the Tracks area, or replace it fully. You can record your Live Loops into the Tracks area in real time and the Tracks area reproduces loop start/stop onto the grid. You can drag and drop Tracks area content into cells in the live loop grid.

• Logic Remote is now a fantastic multi-touch controller for live loops. If you want to trigger multiple loops at once that's the way to go.

• You can now drag and drop audio files directly onto a track header or the workspace and you'll be asked if you want to use it in Quick Sampler or Drum Machine Designer or Alchemy etc...

When will your 10.5 book be out?

thanks guys, it wouldn't have mattered how many links I use, it seems because I use FF as my main browser and it can't handle iTunes/AppStore links very well, as soon as I try it in Safari, all good!

Now I've gotta download that AND new Logic over a 3G wifi at 200KB/s.. we'll probably have the first bug fix by then!

enjoy your first night in with 10.5 :)

Reading and navigating from this Link may help You find the mojave installer.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208052

Results in the same link posted already. Can't even access the High Sierra installer anymore. Fortunately, my Mojave download is finished already, looks as if Apple really wants us to go Catalina (which I can't and, even more so, won't, even if I could - at least not for the time being).

Thanks for posting that, it was the first question I had after seeing the update. New features look fantastic but that is really bad news.

Not only missing side-chain PDC but also still no plug-in delay compensation for automation. This can't be real!!!

logic-automation-pdc-broken.png

Please write to Apple and make a report: https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

Information why you can't use UAD or any other high latency plug-ins to its full extent in Logic Pro X: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145627&p=759021#p759021

Thanks for testing Tedannemann. I was aware of your original great threat. So yea.... it's even worse than side-chain alone.