Logic Pro X - What's new in 10.5

des99

Took a quick look at the new Logic updates notes, looks like it is really geared towards loops and beat makers/EDM kind of people.

I may be wrong of course?

I played around with it and would say that’s pretty much the deal. However that workflow can also be really useful for writing/composing. Especially for jotting down ideas (like having a simple chord progression on a guitar without having to record a region and loop it manually) and working on structure. And the sequencer will be really useful for me to program basic starting point drum parts.

That being said, I used to use Ableton for that task but haven’t used it in years. Will be nice to have some of those features in logic.

The looping feature couple possibly also be really useful for bands using backing tracks if they want to do a bit more arranging on the fly. Like when your guitarist wants to take an extended solo.

Novation has been quite clear that Catalina is the end of the line for Automap anyway.

Oh, I know. I also know I won’t install Catalina on my music machine except under gunpoint.

why? catalina & logic have been playing nice (for me) all along... and NI is on it (their plugins are not happy in LX 10.5.. yet). and i run all the OS betas (a sometimes-scary thing). but have worked thru all of it.

anyway, maybe it's just that 'new version' thing, but the whole app does feel snappier

Edited by fisherking

The first post on this forum will tell you everything you need to know (including a list of metal compatible GPU's) with regards to upgrading your mac pro to Mojave.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mp5-1-what-you-have-to-do-to-upgrade-to-mojave-bootrom-upgrade-instructions-thread.2142418/

Thanks, that was the forum post I had in mind, but couldn't exactly remember!

So, does your GPU offer a boot menu? I don't mind all too much but in case there's a choice, I rather go with a boot menu.

Ok, sorry for the slight hijack, but could anyone confirm I can do an update to Mojave from a High Sierra system not installed on an APFS formatted drive? In other words: Can the updater just update and change the file system? I really don't feel like doing a fresh install...

iirc yes, it does it automatically in the background.

The first post on this forum will tell you everything you need to know (including a list of metal compatible GPU's) with regards to upgrading your mac pro to Mojave.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mp5-1-what-you-have-to-do-to-upgrade-to-mojave-bootrom-upgrade-instructions-thread.2142418/

So, does your GPU offer a boot menu? I don't mind all too much but in case there's a choice, I rather go with a boot menu.

Generally no the metal cards don't seem to have a boot menu. There might be one from Nvidia or something, but I strongly recommend the RX580, which does not have a boot menu. Keep your old card around just in case you may ever need that for some kind of update or something.

Oh, I know. I also know I won’t install Catalina on my music machine except under gunpoint.

why? catalina & logic have been playing nice (for me) all along... and NI is on it (their plugins are not happy in LX 10.5.. yet).

and i run all the OS betas (a sometimes-scary thing). but have worked thru all of it.

anyway, maybe it's just that 'new version' thing, but the whole app does feel snappier

There are a few reasons. I do still use some 32 bit applications and while I can run those on the non-main computer it is nice not having to. I do Macs for a living and have found Catalina to not be Apple's shining moment. Because I do Macs for a living I absolutely do NOT want to do tech support when I get home. You and I are very different when it comes to adopting updates, I do it when I'm either forced to or when there is a feature that I decide I must have. Heck, my live machine is still on 10.12.6 but I expect that I will update it to 10.14.6 so I can use the newer Logic once I get my Automap replacement worked out.

I have very similar mindset as you redgreenblue, what I can say is Mojave works quite well and better performance then previous releases due to Metal more than anything i would guess. I can highly recommend Mojave. I can't recommend Catalina yet and see no reason to jump on that bandwagon until LogicPro 10.6

No, as Dewdman stated, it doesn't, but it really is no big deal. You still have access to recovery using the usual key commands, you just won't see the startup logo, also if you want to boot from a different drive, you need to do so from the System Preferences / Startup Disk. The no boot menu seems to give people pause, but I haven't experienced any drawbacks. If you absolutely need it, there's a guy that will flash your card for a fee http://www.macvidcards.com/

why? catalina & logic have been playing nice (for me) all along... and NI is on it (their plugins are not happy in LX 10.5.. yet).

and i run all the OS betas (a sometimes-scary thing). but have worked thru all of it.

There are a few reasons. I do still use some 32 bit applications and while I can run those on the non-main computer it is nice not having to. I do Macs for a living and have found Catalina to not be Apple's shining moment. Because I do Macs for a living I absolutely do NOT want to do tech support when I get home. You and I are very different when it comes to adopting updates, I do it when I'm either forced to or when there is a feature that I decide I must have. Heck, my live machine is still on 10.12.6 but I expect that I will update it to 10.14.6 so I can use the newer Logic once I get my Automap replacement worked out.

i did 15 years of mac support in nyc (alongside the music); now, i only do music. i think catalina is great, and am good with the idea of a '64bit only' architecture. i earn my living on my mac, but i enjoy the 'new' with betas, and updates... and don't mind troubleshooting when i have to. as always, tho; whatever works...

i did 15 years of mac support in nyc (alongside the music); now, i only do music. i think catalina is great, and am good with the idea of a '64bit only' architecture. i earn my living on my mac, but i enjoy the 'new' with betas, and updates... and don't mind troubleshooting when i have to. as always, tho; whatever works...

And I'm glad you are always there to be our canary.

No, as Dewdman stated, it doesn't, but it really is no big deal. You still have access to recovery using the usual key commands, you just won't see the startup logo, also if you want to boot from a different drive, you need to do so from the System Preferences / Startup Disk. The no boot menu seems to give people pause, but I haven't experienced any drawbacks. If you absolutely need it, there's a guy that will flash your card for a fee http://www.macvidcards.com/

Its important to point out here the following: the high sierra updater included a firmware update for certain Models. and Mojave cannot be installed without first installing High Sierra because of that. You can't skip High Sierra.

Secondly, High Sierra update required you to have a video card with a boot menu, while Mojave does not. Mojave also included a firmware update for some models, but they knew many people would be using required metal cards without a boot menu, so t hey made sure the update, including the firmware, can take place without a boot menu. I suspect that in the future, a boot menu will not ever be necessary because of that, but its still not a bad idea to keep your old pre-metal video card around just in case. Like Stevo said, you don't need boot menu for recovery mode or anything else like that.

When might you need it? Nobody has a crystal ball about the future, but let's say in the future some third party hack might be needed to keep a cheesegrater working beyond Catalina and who knows maybe some kind of firmware update that you need to see the boot menu to do it. (shrug). the short of it is that I doubt we will ever need to see the boot menu again, but there is always that slight chance of maybe so, so keep your original video card in a box somewhere just in case until you get rid of the older model that came with a pre-metal card. But most likely you will never need it.

I ran benchmarks before and after updating from Sierra to Mojave and Mojave was 20-25% higher scores. I am very very pleased with Mojave and can highly recommend it for anyone that has been dragging their feet. Trust me...I am not an early adopter...

Oh My God. I've spent most of my free time over the last 2 months on a quest to modulate FX parameters on an audio channel with a step sequencer. Investigated Thesys, iOS sequencers, rewiring Ableton...

Most recently, I've been pretty deep down the Reaktor 6 rabbit hole and in fact came within an inch of dropping $200 on it *just last night*.

Now Logic does it natively. This armageddon is really looking up!

SIAP, but from Native Instruments:

Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Massive X, Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes,

The NI Team

AFAIK, High Sierra and later switch to AFPS automatically if they see an SSD.

Well, my current system drive *is* an SSD and the disk tool still says it's vanilla Mac OS Extended (journaled) formatted.

Well, I installed High Sierra a while back on 4 or 5 computers with an SSD, and the installer put AFPS on it automatically. Some were fresh installs, some were updates. I let it do its thing.

Its important to point out here the following: the high sierra updater included a firmware update for certain Models. and Mojave cannot be installed without first installing High Sierra because of that. You can't skip High Sierra.

Secondly, High Sierra update required you to have a video card with a boot menu, while Mojave does not. Mojave also included a firmware update for some models, but they knew many people would be using required metal cards without a boot menu, so t hey made sure the update, including the firmware, can take place without a boot menu. I suspect that in the future, a boot menu will not ever be necessary because of that, but its still not a bad idea to keep your old pre-metal video card around just in case. Like Stevo said, you don't need boot menu for recovery mode or anything else like that.

Yes, good to point out. You need to follow the instructions on the Macrumors forum to the "t". You need certain boot rom & firmware updates to avoid problems. I'm crossing my fingers my firewire Duet will still work on Mojave, but I will definitely have a clone of HS on a separate drive if I have problems.

I'm testing out Quick Sampler and having trouble getting the MOD Matrix to respond to midi messages. It seems like the midi is getting into Logic but Quick Sampler is not responding. For example I assigned a CC # to control pitch and nothing is happening. Is someone else willing to test?

Thanks for posting that, it was the first question I had after seeing the update. New features look fantastic but that is really bad news.

Not only missing side-chain PDC but also still no plug-in delay compensation for automation. This can't be real!!!

logic-automation-pdc-broken.png

Please write to Apple and make a report: https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

Information why you can't use UAD or any other high latency plug-ins to its full extent in Logic Pro X: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145627&p=759021#p759021

This is really unfortunate. This is the one main issue (or series of issues) that has driven me to start considering cubase after years in logic. Anyone have any guess as to why this is not. being addressed? Must be some under-the-hood not really possible stuff going on (?)

its always possible, but may not be "easy". There was quite a long list of bugs fixed in this release, so that is cool, but I am also quite disappointed to not see more fixes related to extremely crucial things related to PDC, AU3, articulation sets and other things. these issues have been open for years and many people have submitted bug reports about it too. So I'm as disappointed as you are. Edited by Dewdman42

This is really unfortunate. This is the one main issue (or series of issues) that has driven me to start considering cubase after years in logic. Anyone have any guess as to why this is not. being addressed? Must be some under-the-hood not really possible stuff going on (?)

Maybe they were too busy getting 10.5 out of the door. Now that's out, some additional fixes might get taken care of.

Yes, it's probably not trivial.