Logic Pro X - What's new in 10.5

des99

Any plugin search tools?

I'm hoping for a text entry where you can type to filter matching plugins for insertion...

Only matching search is when you have the pop-up menu up typing a character jumps you to the nearest match at that level. Still have to click-hunt...

We would be very keen to bring LPXColorizer features to Logic Pro 10.5.

It supports only versions up to 10.4.8 at the moment. It’s kind of sad that we cannot work more closely with some of the Logic Pro developers, they could get inspired also from what indie developers do.

In the end, it is all about bringing value to Logic and its community of users…

I am feeling that, as a newly 60 year old grandpa rock afficionado, I was not the target demographic of this update. Another 'OK BOOMER! slap in the face by the whippersnappers.

there are so many new features, enhancements, fixes... and (as always) you use what you need... & no harm having new options to explore if you want to.

"Bah, humbug," Glenn! :D I'm not too far behind you ... (koff, koff) ... "but as for me I'm still havin' way too much fun with this music thing!" Shouldn't be too hard to find a brand-new creative way to apply "these brand-new toys" in ways that nobody-else had thought of.

After all, has anything really changed from the days when "brand-new toys" were actually physical devices? ...

Then, as now, the designers (and certainly, marketers ...) of these things "had a certain set of ideas." But then ...

Edited by MikeRobinson

I am feeling that, as a newly 60 year old grandpa rock afficionado, I was not the target demographic of this update. Another 'OK BOOMER! slap in the face by the whippersnappers.

the live loops section can be used as a very handy idea pad for both audio and midi regions :) it's a great compositional tool regardless of genre and age

just updated before checking around, including here, like an idiot. Opened a project which it had to "convert.. several track sound different, need re-EQing. Had it with this stuff, will revert and go back to my backed up projects.

what exactly did you need to convert?

i opened a bunch of older projects and didn't need to convert anything...

Also, sheesh... you guys should really finish projects before going to a new version. Always. Or expect to make some corrections. I don't care about backward compatibility nearly as much, if i open something after a year, it's likely i'm going to turn it upside down anyway. Or make prints of your finished projects (export all tracks as audio).

just updated before checking around, including here, like an idiot. Opened a project which it had to "convert.. several track sound different, need re-EQing. Had it with this stuff, will revert and go back to my backed up projects.

how old are the files you opened? i went back to 2014 files, and those opened without issue. and why would tracks sound different? are you using logic's eq's? same as the ones in the original file?

something's up, i haven't seen anything like that.

Also, sheesh... you guys should really finish projects before going to a new version. Always. Or expect to make some corrections. I don't care about backward compatibility nearly as much, if i open something after a year, it's likely i'm going to turn it upside down anyway. Or make prints of your finished projects (export all tracks as audio).

exactly. if i REALLY want the sound of a plugin i've abandoned (for example), i bounce in place.. then delete the plugin. and am happy to revise and update (basically, make better) old projects.

either way, conversion means you've opened a really-old file; are you using the same eq's? figure out what the issue is, because, in general, there should be no issue...

As a guy older than you, no it isn't a slap in the face. It's a recognition that most new Logic users come from GarageBand and/or Ableton Live and this style of composing and genre choices are where the majority are.

It would only be a slap in my face if they took away things I needed, like the Score Editor, but they didn't. They even fixed some bugs with the Score Editor.

As a guy older than you, no it isn't a slap in the face. It's a recognition that most new Logic users come from GarageBand and/or Ableton Live and this style of composing and genre choices are where the majority are.

It would only be a slap in my face if they took away things I needed, like the Score Editor, but they didn't. They even fixed some bugs with the Score Editor.

and, again, added lots of new features and enhancements... it's a great upgrade...

Maybe it's just me, but loading .exs files in the new "Sampler" when you load something like the Steinway Piano preset or 12 string guitar seemed to take forever (loading all the related .aif files, and really hangs everything up? Is it just the first time you load these or every time...

Anyone have any guess as to why this is not. being addressed? Must be some under-the-hood not really possible stuff going on (?)

I think it's far more related to making Logic appeal to a wider range of users, and to uphold Apples repertoire with more drastic looking updates.

Fixing the DPC issues really won't send any shockwaves around the DAW community, so will never be a priority. Its just modern Apple, and the game of hope that something will magically be fixed. Mainstream appeal and adding features rule.

Seeing major NI Plugins crashing further enforces where their head is with releasing software like Logic. They prioritise marketing (surprise releases being a PR vehicle for them) versus pushing pre release betas out to third party devs which would be better for end users. IMO of course.

Can you give more info about the project's last saved version, plugins used, etc. Because I'm sure there are other guys like me hesitating to update and following this topic to see possible bugs and problems.

Seeing major NI Plugins crashing further enforces where their head is with releasing software like Logic. They prioritise marketing (surprise releases being a PR vehicle for them) versus pushing pre release betas out to third party devs which would be better for end users. IMO of course.

uh... what? ALL my other 3rd-party plugins seem fine, it's just massive X here (and NI is already working on a fix). so, if all the other plugins are fine, it's an unexpected issue. i don't see any conspiracy here, just a bump in the road... something that goes hand-in-hand with software upgrades in general.

I forgot my 'satire' emoji. Still, other than the sequencer, I don't see much for me. Maybe I'll discover and appreciate the new goodies at some point, and I'm certainly not dissatisfied by what's there already. Right now, life is a bit scary, and I can't focus on anything for more than a few minutes. Besides, I need to work on my grumpy old dude routine anyway. Can anyone give me tips on seniors' discounts?

Looks like a nice update. Unfortunately for the first time since Logic v6, I won’t be on the latest version of Logic as my MP won’t run Mojave. But I also don’t see anything so far that begs me to upgrade my MP to get this version.

Can you give more info about the project's last saved version, plugins used, etc. Because I'm sure there are other guys like me hesitating to update and following this topic to see possible bugs and problems.

I'll try to address this and the other questions directed to me above, sorry I don't have more time. The project I opened after update was not "old", unless you consider the save just before update "old". And let me interject that backward compatibility, to at least one version, is a must. Unless the developer states otherwise, and we can keep more than one version installed, and investigate seemless project converions later. I have no idea if that's possible, the apple upater simply updated the only copy on the Mac. The conversion mentioned was that there was some change in how automation functioned, and that the converted file would no longer function as before in older versions of the app. There are many plugins used in this project, too many to list without spending considerable time. Of course the problem could have been anywhere, including a plugin, or this new automation, or even the new automation for one of the plugins, I don't know. I really should have waited, if I run into anything I'll post it, but troubleshooting developers work is not something I cherish any more when I'm supposed to be working, except to try to contribute here, when I can. The forum has saved my sorry *ss a lot! Reverted the app, the project and various prefs etc.. from Time Machine, need to see if I'm back to normal.