Logic Pro X - What's new in 10.5

des99

no New way to remove Effects ??? or Off Effects ? you have to select one by one.. then remove?...

I'm not sure what you are referring to, but in the channel strips there are new commands to remove all plugins and also other options.

remove effects that are OFF.. maybe by a command.. or a faster way to remove effects.. without having to right click... then-- click in "remove effect"..

maybe just select it and drag it out of the channel strip setting "frame"... like removing Pedals... from the Logic Pro X "PedalBoard." effect.. I don't know something..

faster easier.. or a simple command. to remove all OFF effects.. in the channel strip settings.. selected.

remove effects that are OFF.. maybe by a command.. or a faster way to remove effects.. without having to right click... then-- click in "remove effect"..

maybe just select it and drag it out of the channel strip setting "frame"...

There is a key command for "Remove Bypassed Plug-ins".

To remove select plug-ins, sometimes what I do is I move a plug-in to a slot on another channel strip (could be the right channel strip in the Inspector, or another channel strip in the Mixer). Then I move another plug-in on top of that same one. Keep doing that until you've removed all the unnecessary plug-ins. You end up having a single plug-in to click then choose "No Plug-in" rather than several.

remove-plugins.gif.c1cfffbe20e8be76c2d7ff80d53c63bc.gif

so...... if you have a midi region.. you can't select step sequencer ? you have to convert the midi region first ???????............ HAHAHAHA ¡ what ?.... those things.. that just don't make sense at all. and if you want to get back to piano roll you have to convert that midi region again?...... what ??.... come on.. where is the common sense?

sorry you cannot even convert a midi region to a pattern region.... dam.... even worst.

how is that illogical or an issue?

pattern display is not compatible with piano roll, piano roll is fully open so conforming it to pattern makes no sense, they also behave absolutely differently.

i see absolutely 0 issues with that. i'm happy i can go pattern to midi to edit further, but other way around is a completely non-issue for me.

Thanks for posting that, it was the first question I had after seeing the update. New features look fantastic but that is really bad news.

Not only missing side-chain PDC but also still no plug-in delay compensation for automation. This can't be real!!!

logic-automation-pdc-broken.png

Please write to Apple and make a report: https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

Information why you can't use UAD or any other high latency plug-ins to its full extent in Logic Pro X: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145627&p=759021#p759021

Hej,

I can replicate the failing sidechain-PDC. That's really a bummer. It should be fixed. I have send my feedback to apple.

But I'm not able to replicate the automation discrepancies you are describing. I tried many different plugins, automated parameters INSIDE plugins, bounced that track and did a null-test with this bounced track and the automated one. It nulled. So, this seems to work. Or am I missing something?

It's a good update. Some of the stuff I will use, I'm sure. But I'm still missing a few important features, all mixing-features:

- naming busses/auxes and seeing that names in the mixer (without using the permanent I/O-setting)

- drag-and-drop sends

- batch-renaming

- plugin-search

etc.

All the best,

Jan

I think this is an exciting moment for all of us regardless of wether or not these new features will drastically change our creative process. These features have been A LONG time coming, I remember using the sampler in garage band on my iPad around five years ago... Im sure they were frantically trying to get these features out. which modern producer enjoyed not having a sampler and using the piano roll to sequence drums. They knew they were behind.

Even with that they managed to make major improvements with this update across the board. Now that these major features have been added (which we all knew would come), it feels like LPX just turned a major corner, where they no longer have to play catchup with the competition. Meaning the future can now be on their terms, and who knows where that will go.

so...... then........ if you have a Old Project.. with a Normal Midi Piano Drum Regions.. for Drums.. and you Want to convert that Midi Region to.. Pattern region YOU CAN'T ? what ???????.. I wonder What does Apple Logic Pro X Theme has in their MINDS ? when they do UN-Logic Things like this ??????.... hahahaha ..... amazing.... For Logic Pro X Theme.. is Always ONE STEP forward..... and 2 Steps BACK .. ¡ always with their "NEW features" hahaha.... no words.. man these guys are.. forget it.

ONE STEP forward..... and 2 Steps BACK. ¡ hahaha.

The piano roll is much finer in resolution then the new pattern editor. It is not a realistic expectation to have a classical piano player’s performance automatically converted from the piano roll to the new pattern editor with all the perfect imperfections, slow downs etc.

I never understood people who were unable to sequence drums in the piano roll. Apple watered the piano roll down for those people. ( the resolution etc). Now the new generation can have fun easier. This is why you can convert from pattern editor to midi editor but not the other way around.

We now have tools for all genres. Have fun.

so...... then........ if you have a Old Project.. with a Normal Midi Piano Drum Regions.. for Drums.. and you Want to convert that Midi Region to.. Pattern region YOU CAN'T ? what ???????.. I wonder What does Apple Logic Pro X Theme has in their MINDS ? when they do UN-Logic Things like this ??????.... hahahaha ..... amazing.... For Logic Pro X Theme.. is Always ONE STEP forward..... and 2 Steps BACK .. ¡ always with their "NEW features" hahaha.... no words.. man these guys are.. forget it.

The piano roll is much finer in resolution then the new pattern editor. It is not a realistic expectation to have a classical piano player’s performance automatically converted from the piano roll to the new pattern editor with all the perfect imperfections, slow downs etc.

I never understood people who were unable to sequence drums in the piano roll. Apple watered the piano roll down for those people. ( the resolution etc). Now the new generation can have fun easier. This is why you can convert from pattern editor to midi editor but not the other way around.

We now have tools for all genres. Have fun.

Well it's not really about classical Piano recordings. I have 100's of midi files of drum patterns that I would much prefer being able to use inside the new sequencer from now on. It's a bummer this is not possible yet as it will limit my use of the sequencer but hopefully it will be at one point.

Can someone please confirm that they've actually removed the following key commands:

"Go to Selection Start/End" from the Audio File Editor section and are forcing you to use the "Go to Selection Start/End" from the Global Section?

I've used different commands for both sections for 25 years, that would be a kick to the nuts.

The only "Go to Selection Start/End" command is in the "Global" command section.

10.4.8 -

Command Key Touch Bar

- Global Commands

Go to Selection Start ⌃↖ 1⃣

Go to Selection End ⌃↘

- Audio File Editor

Go to Selection Start ⌃↖

Go to Selection End ⌃↘

Command Key Touch Bar

- Global Commands

Go to Selection End ⌃↘

Sorry if I missed it...but, for the new sampler in 10.5 that replaced the EXS24, are these all new samples or the same samples that were available in the EXS24? For example, would the Yamaha Grand Piano be the same sampled Yamaha Grand Piano that was available with the EXS24?

Thanks.

I specifically created a project with EXS24 as the instrument (10.4.8). Opened the project in 10.5. The instrument is now "Sampler".

All of the software instruments that use EXS24 appear to now be behaving the same (sound-wise) with no perceptible change in audio quality. EXS24 has been replaced with Sampler.

Quick Sampler: I’m kinda bummed that it exposes so few parameters as automatable.

One of my goals is to be able to control sample start/end and loop points etc on the fly, but this only seems to be possible by MIDI messages, rather than automation... Disappointing...

Other than that, it’s awesome.

The only "Go to Selection Start/End" command is in the "Global" command section.

10.4.8 -

Command Key Touch Bar

- Global Commands

Go to Selection End ⌃↘

- Audio File Editor

Go to Selection Start ⌃↖

Go to Selection End ⌃↘

Command Key Touch Bar

- Global Commands

Go to Selection End ⌃↘

I was worried that was the case. I've already sent feedback, hopefully they'll add back. I've used the below commands for ages. When I'm in the arrange I'm using keys near transport control for fast stop, start, rec. When I'm editing audio I always want right hand on mouse and left hand to navigate.

- Global Commands

Go to Selection Start + (numeric keypad)

Go to Selection End - (numeric keypad)

- Audio File Editor

Go to Selection Start Q

Go to Selection End W

You can edit key commands to be anything you want. Also if you saved a copy of your previous logic version you can revert to that, then update it again. Then when it asks if you want to use key commands optimized for logic 10.5, choose ‘no’.

Well, he wants different keycommands for the same (well, pretty much the same...) function depending on whether he's in the arrange or audio editor. Which I can perfectly understand.

So you’re complaining that you can’t do something that you couldn’t have done anyway, until 2 days ago - because it didn’t exist?

this is a great update, ableton was very old as the interface and its graphics were out of date, logic has done this perfectly while now enjoying these tremendous innovations, in the next stage We hope to add GRID modular synthesis, like BITWIG GRID and Reaktor Block, we hope that a modular design page like these will be added to the live section.

if these are added to logic live mode, it would be incredible

1.jpg.73f7dcfe3d4fa8abddee1f93b5eec3a5.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.41b81d205aed1ea04b880c88009aed49.jpg

Ok so this answered my questions, still the same! Incredible these guys are missing something so important for producers, updating for colours and loops? Nah im good with 10.4.7.

Not only missing side-chain PDC but also still no plug-in delay compensation for automation. This can't be real!!!

logic-automation-pdc-broken.png

Please write to Apple and make a report: https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

Information why you can't use UAD or any other high latency plug-ins to its full extent in Logic Pro X: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145627&p=759021#p759021

Hej,

I can replicate the failing sidechain-PDC. That's really a bummer. It should be fixed. I have send my feedback to apple.

But I'm not able to replicate the automation discrepancies you are describing. I tried many different plugins, automated parameters INSIDE plugins, bounced that track and did a null-test with this bounced track and the automated one. It nulled. So, this seems to work. Or am I missing something?

It's a good update. Some of the stuff I will use, I'm sure. But I'm still missing a few important features, all mixing-features:

- naming busses/auxes and seeing that names in the mixer (without using the permanent I/O-setting)

- drag-and-drop sends

- batch-renaming

- plugin-search

etc.

All the best,

Jan

Are there any other pre-configured grids for Live Loops somewhere, perhaps accessible from the Library or elsewhere inside a session, besides the handful of starter grid templates presented at the beginning of creating a session? I'm asking because GarageBand iOS has many other genres to choose from when first creating a Live Loops grid (Rock, Electro Funk, etc). LPX 10.5 has a handful, but almost all of them are in the Hip-Hop/House genres. I'm just trying to see if more are available as is the case in GarageBand.

Someone said the Step Editor is gone - but the Step Editor chapter is still in the Logic 10.5 manual in iBooks, weirdly.

The Step Editor is not gone. It's still there. You just can't access it from the same place you used to in the lower window where the Piano Roll is.

Ugh. I can’t wait to download this update. It adds SO many features I’ve been waiting for! But I’m in the middle of a project that won’t be done for a couple of weeks....ahhhhhhh

You could just use both versions next to each other, simply create a copy of 10.4.8. and move it back after the update. This has been working just fine with each LPX version.

There's an issue with my komplete kontrol keyboard and the update. It appears Native Instruments is aware... they give two solutions, but neither of them work for me... They say...

1- Open Applications > Logic Pro X.

On the upper left corner of the Logic instance, click on Logic Pro X > Control Surfaces > Setup.

Select Komplete Kontrol and delete it.

Quit Logic.

Open Logic.

However, it does not respond when I click on it or delete it.

2-Quit Logic.

Delete the file located in: Macintosh HD > Library > Preferences > com.apple.logic.pro.cs

Empty the trash bin.

Open Logic with your Komplete Kontrol keyboard connected.

However, I do not find any file named com.apple.logic.pro.cs.

Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks.

2-Quit Logic.

Delete the file located in: Macintosh HD > Library > Preferences > com.apple.logic.pro.cs

Empty the trash bin.

Open Logic with your Komplete Kontrol keyboard connected.

However, I do not find any file named com.apple.logic.pro.cs.

You need to look for this file under /Users/Username/Library/Preferences.

uh... what? ALL my other 3rd-party plugins seem fine, it's just massive X here (and NI is already working on a fix). so, if all the other plugins are fine, it's an unexpected issue.

I think you missed the point i was making, where it would be better for us (i.e. the end users) if they put higher priority on bug fixes and ensuring major third party devs such as NI get better pre-release support so they (and we) don't have the carpet pulled under their feet 'out of the blue'.

Logic is a pro level app, many would argue that bug fixes and stability should be top of the list. I think as a very minimum companies such as NI should be allowed to test pre-release versions at the 'risk' of some information creeping out, but it shows where priorities are. Last time it was Komplete Kontrol wrappers that were broken and causing issues, for example.

Companies like NI could have had up to 6 weeks (Based on the screenshots that apple accidentally leaked) testing, for example.

While -you- only have Massive crashing there's a reason NI are having to scramble to fix the following post public release:-

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360011005678-Latest-update-of-Logic-Pro-10-5-could-crash-Massive-X-Crush-Pack-Mod-Pack-Replika-and-Replika-XT-en-us-

Plus this comment was in relation to why Logic team don't fix long standing major bugs such as the PDC issues, their updates are designed to have maximum splash, arrive out of the blue and serve as a sales spinner. It's what Apple do, and this shows an example of why it's not primarily beneficial to it's end users. Note that i never said it's the wrong or incorrect thing to do - it's just business, simply providing what i see as 'an' answer to the question posed.

Personally i think the update is great, the scope for additional bugs with the additional features is wide but they seem to have managed it very well, VERY pleased with it.

But for every you and i there's the non-tech savvy users who will auto update into problems.

I don't mean to entirely refute your point but the common denominator here seems to be Native Instruments.

Why is it that tutorial creators like Music Tech Help Guy and Edgar Rothermich managed to get full, highly produced, in depth material up on day one but Native Instruments was blindsided?

The tutorial creators were able to get advanced copies but major devs weren't? I doubt it. Especially when there aren't issues with almost any other developers.

Read up on the issues Native Instruments have been having as of late and you won't be surprised that they dropped the ball.