Logic Pro X - What's new in 10.5

des99

Someone said the Step Editor is gone - but the Step Editor chapter is still in the Logic 10.5 manual in iBooks, weirdly.

The Step Editor is not gone. It's still there. You just can't access it from the same place you used to in the lower window where the Piano Roll is.

Where/how is it accessible then?

Someone said the Step Editor is gone - but the Step Editor chapter is still in the Logic 10.5 manual in iBooks, weirdly.

The Step Editor is not gone. It's still there. You just can't access it from the same place you used to in the lower window where the Piano Roll is.

Great, thanks!

I'm putting the finishing touches on my album this/next week, I can go ahead and update to this now, right?

You know actually you can, with some basic precautions:

1. In your Applications folder, control-click Logic Pro X and choose Duplicate.

2. Rename the duplicate Logic Pro X 10.4.8.

3. Update.

Could you please explain the process for going back to 10.4.8 in the event that it's necessary?

Ta

Not only missing side-chain PDC but also still no plug-in delay compensation for automation. This can't be real!!!

logic-automation-pdc-broken.png

Please write to Apple and make a report: https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

Information why you can't use UAD or any other high latency plug-ins to its full extent in Logic Pro X: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145627&p=759021#p759021

Hej,

I can replicate the failing sidechain-PDC. That's really a bummer. It should be fixed. I have send my feedback to apple.

But I'm not able to replicate the automation discrepancies you are describing. I tried many different plugins, automated parameters INSIDE plugins, bounced that track and did a null-test with this bounced track and the automated one. It nulled. So, this seems to work. Or am I missing something?

It's a good update. Some of the stuff I will use, I'm sure. But I'm still missing a few important features, all mixing-features:

- naming busses/auxes and seeing that names in the mixer (without using the permanent I/O-setting)

- drag-and-drop sends

- batch-renaming

- plugin-search

etc.

All the best,

Jan

Just a follow-up: Now I was able to replicate the automation-flaw as well. It's really apparent. The automation happens way off. Still, the resulting bounce nulls with the original automated track, but the automation is way off where it's supposed to happen.

I reported this to Apple as well. Hope, they will fix it soon. Very strange. (Will try to do it in PT and see what's happening there...)

P.S. Did the same test in PT and everything works as expected there. So, Apple/Logic-Team: Fix it!

The very first DAW I ever used was a thing called Project5 from Cakewalk (remember Sonar?). It had a really similar thing where you could drag cells into the Arrange area. I loved it. The update is a very similar workflow but WAAYYYYY better.

For an old DAW, that looks quite elegant.

If you've duplicated 10.4.8 before updating like I described then the two different apps (Logic Pro X 10.4.8 and Logic Pro X) are sitting in your applications folder, so you just double-click the one you want to open.

Thank you, David. So, will 10.4.8 open as if 10.5 never existed? Will 10.5 affect the project files in any way? Will a de-conversion of project files or anything else be necessary?

Ta

Ugh. I can’t wait to download this update. It adds SO many features I’ve been waiting for! But I’m in the middle of a project that won’t be done for a couple of weeks....ahhhhhhh

You could just use both versions next to each other, simply create a copy of 10.4.8. and move it back after the update. This has been working just fine with each LPX version.

Oh, I think it's less about potentially breaking my system and more about getting distracted from said project :mrgreen:

Thank you, David. So, will 10.4.8 open as if 10.5 never existed?

Yes however they share the same preferences file. If you change preferences while working in 10.5 then open 10.4.8 the new preferences will be used.

Will 10.5 affect the project files in any way? Will a de-conversion of project files or anything else be necessary?

Only if you save the project files in 10.5. I recommend you keep a 10.4.8 version of the file and save a new version for working in 10.5.

Sorry, David. One last question. If I open a 10.4.8 project in 10.5, then immediately Save As "Song Title (10.5)", is that enough to protect the original project? Ta

Yes. However just to be on the safe side and avoid potential pilot error I would open the file in 10.4.8 and immediately save as "Song Title (10.5)", then close 10.4.8 and open the 10.5 file in 10.5.

When I open an existing project, it's immediately flagged as "dirty".

Save and re-open doesn't help > flagged again.

But the undo history is empty.

Anyone else having this problem?

It's like that since ages. Doesn't happen with all projects reliably, but happens all the time.

I've never seen it before, but after the update it happens "reliably" with all existing projects.

Nobody has an idea how it could be avoided?

Used it since release, updated mid project and whilst I haven’t had too much time on the new features which are all fantastic I must say it is much more solid in every way than previous version which I installed on my 2019 MP. Midi is tight again. KK and Maschine 3 tight and responsive with both now able to transport control. Things load so quickly. Duplicate a kontakt patch and baam. So quick everywhere. Gorgeous refined UI’s throughout. Just tight and solid. This is clearly needed for 2019 MP. Great job Emagic and Apple!!!

Does anyone know whether, when using a non-drum software instrument in the Step Sequencer, you can set it so it loads the notes corresponding to the key of the project automatically?

I don't believe that's possible, no.

Ahhh ok so I will have to set the notes manually to reflect the key

Thank you

I'm not sure what you are referring to, but in the channel strips there are new commands to remove all plugins and also other options.

remove effects that are OFF.. maybe by a command.. or a faster way to remove effects.. without having to right click... then-- click in "remove effect"..

maybe just select it and drag it out of the channel strip setting "frame"... like removing Pedals... from the Logic Pro X "PedalBoard." effect.. I don't know something..

faster easier.. or a simple command. to remove all OFF effects.. in the channel strip settings.. selected.

In the Mixer...or Inspector

Click the Settings menu at the top of the channel strip and choose Remove Bypassed Plugins.

Note this won't work with DMD track instruments...but works fine with other CS types.

I really hope they ad granular synthesis in a future update

Well, that's more Alchemy's domain (it's synthesis more than sampling), so you can do that there...

yeah, I know. Not really a fan of alchemy that much. Adding advanced synthesis to the sampler is the next logical step.

Are there any other pre-configured grids for Live Loops somewhere, perhaps accessible from the Library or elsewhere inside a session, besides the handful of starter grid templates presented at the beginning of creating a session? I'm asking because GarageBand iOS has many other genres to choose from when first creating a Live Loops grid (Rock, Electro Funk, etc). LPX 10.5 has a handful, but almost all of them are in the Hip-Hop/House genres. I'm just trying to see if more are available as is the case in GarageBand.

Control-click in the LL grid (on an empty space) to open a pop-up menu, then choose New Pattern Cell.

This opens the Pattern editor.

On the left there should be a Library Pane with Pattern and Template folders...have you discovered all of these?

Read up on the issues Native Instruments have been having as of late and you won't be surprised that they dropped the ball.

Well, while I agree that NIs development has been going quite downhill during the last years, there's still the question why things would work fine in previous Logic versions but not in 10.5.

Whatever the reasons might be, I'm sure it's not just one party being guilty. They should probably share some betatesters and there could as well be some communication between both companies. Has been like that back in the days - and when it comes to all such things, I'm sure it's rather Apples fault because their secrecy isn't good for any such cross-product-communications.

Read up on the issues Native Instruments have been having as of late and you won't be surprised that they dropped the ball.

Well, while I agree that NIs development has been going quite downhill during the last years, there's still the question why things would work fine in previous Logic versions but not in 10.5.

Whatever the reasons might be, I'm sure it's not just one party being guilty. They should probably share some betatesters and there could as well be some communication between both companies. Has been like that back in the days - and when it comes to all such things, I'm sure it's rather Apples fault because their secrecy isn't good for any such cross-product-communications.

there are a few other plugins struggling in 10.5, so apple changed something (which is fine with me, if it brings new features and important fixes). developers (including NI) need to get on it. this is how it's always been; logic changes, and developers (hopefully) catch up. and, personally, i think NI is kicking ass... i might get an M32, and find massive x to be a remarkable synth (now i just need it to work in 10.5)