Logic Pro X - What's new in 10.5

des99

what scam? i just opened 2 projects from 2009, and one from 2010; of course, plugins i no longer have won't be there.

but telling people to steer clear of a new version of logic based on your singular experience is pointless.

Stay away from the version if your a professional, yes I highly advise anyone in session who is getting paid to not risk using this until its 100% reliable., I stand by it, sorry,

But common, I doubt you missed abuses by tech companies limited users from repairing their own devices and even allows to use standard cables, its a scam, a scam is when a company hides what they re doing, removes threads, pays trolls to protect them and especially lie, Apps like any huge tech company rather settle with paying fines then assuming their users will know what they screw up on, do a little research and see all the class actions and fines Apple pays, after all they make like $450 million dollars an hour so why should they settle for less if they can force you to buy their accessories.

We should never be paying like 1k for iPhones and Samson galaxy's, I was not born yesterday and this version of Logic is for kids born yesterday..

again, don't get me wrong, I do appreciate making things easy but Apple could not care less if your a producer or engineer, this version is a prosumer version of Logic and GarageBand combined, I have a right to my pinion, and if you ask me, whenever companies hide dirty secrets and need help to bully the opinion of others instead of address them and instead push more devices it is more less extortion .

Edited by BritishBoxer

I love the iBook manuals. I used to view the online manual but since 10.5 I started using the iBook reader, and find it very slick. My only complaint would be that they made separate manuals for Logic, the instruments, and the effects, whereas the online manual was one single document with everything in it, which made easier to search. With the iBook I often find myself searching a manual and not finding anything only to realize I'm searching the wrong document.

same here, I organise all my manuals and books in iBooks, , very neat and im glad someone mentioned this because I thought it was only me lol

6 here.

They must have updated that. I only checked with the previous version(s). It's now 6 hits for me as well.

Oh, wait! Now this is strange: It's still only one hit in the german version, 6 in the english one. And no, there's no german words for "lead sheet". Gotta investigate a bit more...

Stay away from the version if your a professional, yes I highly advise anyone in session who is getting paid to not risk using this until its 100% reliable., I stand by it, sorry,

and we should listen to you because? am a professional, am working constantly lately (for some lovely reason), and enjoying using LX 10.5 immensely.

it's fine to have an opinion, but am sure no one on this forum (or anywhere, for that matter) put you in charge. if you don't want to run 10.5, don't. but no need to tell everyone else what they 'should' or shouldn't do.

I ran into the screenset lock problem. While the "invisible" screenset is selected execute the "Lock/Unlock Screenset", select a different screenset (any unlocked one should do), and now select the previously locked screenset.

That worked thanks!

And it seems if you do it once, it's fixed if I now want to unlock/lock any other screensets.

Looks like a bug I'll report.

Soloing a region brings me to the inner most folder I have hidden with groove templates. Can't figure that one out.

Did some testing and the Link is causing this issue. On 10.4.8 my template Link is set to Content and solo region performs properly.

10.5.0 with Link set to Content, solo region shoots you to the deepest folder level. Can get solo region to work properly if I set Link to Off.

Tried it on fresh session, without my template and it behaves like that. Can someone please confirm?

I ran into the screenset lock problem. While the "invisible" screenset is selected execute the "Lock/Unlock Screenset", select a different screenset (any unlocked one should do), and now select the previously locked screenset.

That worked thanks!

And it seems if you do it once, it's fixed if I now want to unlock/lock any other screensets.

Looks like a bug I'll report.

Found out if you have a screenset with a floating window like an Event Float or floating Environment window locked in the screenset, then you try to unlock/lock, this bug will appear.

For those that need links to the manual for Logic Pro X 10.5:

Online manual (new format):

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/logicpro/welcome/mac

That page also contains links to PDF downloads, and iBooks links:-

PDF:

Logic Pro X User Guide: Download the PDF | Go to Apple Books

Logic Pro X Instruments: Download the PDF | Go to Apple Books

Logic Pro X Effects: Download the PDF | Go to Apple Books

Thank you for posting these links. I have updated the Resources page at the top of this forum: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=97574

I have updated the Resources page at the top of this forum

Thanks - I had also added them to the first post of this thread too.

Note - the bit about the demo songs could also be updated as there are new demos since the Beck one.

Cheers David!

Is there a manual/tutorial book forthcoming for the 10.5 update? I have noticed that the hot keys among other things have been changed.

Yes, I am working on writing an updated book for 10.5, it should be out in July. What key command have you noticed changed from 10.4?

Well, I haven't had the time to really explore (currently moving out of state) but when I updated I believe it asked if I wanted to keep the old key commands or use the new ones. Either way I'm very excited to buy your book for myself and a friend who is very new to Logic Pro X!

Is there a manual/tutorial book forthcoming for the 10.5 update? I have noticed that the hot keys among other things have been changed.

Yes the manual has been updated with all the 10.5 stuff in iBooks.

Thank you. I tend to like to flip pages when learning stuff however. I'm a bit old school/ analog in that regard.

Anybody else notice/frustrated with the new EQ controls (parametric)? The EQ is freaking awesome now, seems to have better resolution and flow, but for some reason, after I make an adjustment to the bottom half of the EQ (like for instance, dragging the width numbers on a given node, the mouse kinda "sticks" for like a 100 milliseconds and then lets go. What's annoying about this is that I like to very quickly stop and play using my space bar as I make adjustments. What sucks now is that it freezes the window for a split second and flashes white at me. I tried to explain that the best I could lol.

UPDATE:

So to make this more clear of what's happening: I can no longer press spacebar (to toggle play and pause) while I have my mouse click held down on one of the EQ nodes. Instead, the screen flashes white until I let go of the node. Was able to do this before 10.5. I know this isn't a big deal to some, but to me, it kinda is, because I'm kinda frantic when I work. LOL

Beside of the nice new features. I'm still a bit scared of installing the new update. Are there any known issues?

I had some odd issues with sync and midi notes in the piano roll showing up in random places not on their assigned notes.

I trashed my preferences and - so far - those issues went away. I don't have a ton of custom settings so this isn't a huge thing for me.

BUT after I trashed my prefs, I noted some distinct changes to my interface that were NOT there before.

S and M on each channel have been replaced with a speaker icon and a headphone.

The mixer at the bottom is better aligned and the window default resize perfectly shows the fader/pan AND track name.

I'm certain there are more changes I haven't noticed yet, but I've found that trashing the preferences was an improvement.

Beside of the nice new features. I'm still a bit scared of installing the new update. Are there any known issues?

I had some odd issues with sync and midi notes in the piano roll showing up in random places not on their assigned notes.

I trashed my preferences and - so far - those issues went away. I don't have a ton of custom settings so this isn't a huge thing for me.

BUT after I trashed my prefs, I noted some distinct changes to my interface that were NOT there before.

The mixer at the bottom is better aligned and the window default resize perfectly shows the fader/pan AND track name.

I'm certain there are more changes I haven't noticed yet, but I've found that trashing the preferences was an improvement.

Ahhh, nice! I may try this actually! I'm using a very old preference file. I also noticed that when I open new plugins, they keep snapping to the bottom right of the screen; some of them I can't even see the whole plugin window, until i drag it up. Maybe this will help that.

Ahhh, nice! I may try this actually! I'm using a very old preference file. I also noticed that when I open new plugins, they keep snapping to the bottom right of the screen; some of them I can't even see the whole plugin window, until i drag it up. Maybe this will help that.

i'm experiencing the same thing, have been wondering about it. let us know what happens when u trash the pref file (am letting someone else be a guinea pig for a change!)...

i'm experiencing the same thing, have been wondering about it. let us know what happens when u trash the pref file (am letting someone else be a guinea pig for a change!)...

Okay I deleted my prefs and rebooted everything. Had to go through the whole menu to fix stuff, butttt, it appears to be working more stable now. Not sure about the display thing; I don't experience that problem anymore as I've moved up to an Ultrawide. As far the EQ thing, I've just accepted that it's probably not gonna change. Meh, oh well.

I'm still having MAJOR issues with Drum Machine Designer. When I try to perform from with my Arturia Keyboard or my Roland SPD-30, the Midi is writing about an 1/8th note late. I'm in LowLatency mode, restarted Core Audio, have no sample delay set, 128 is my buffer size. When I perform I hear everything in perfect sync but I see that the midi notes are not lining up on the beats. When I pay back, they are off grid by about an 1/8th note. Doesn't happen with other keyboard patches.

Anyone else?

I'm still having MAJOR issues with Drum Machine Designer. When I try to perform from with my Arturia Keyboard or my Roland SPD-30, the Midi is writing about an 1/8th note late. I'm in LowLatency mode, restarted Core Audio, have no sample delay set, 128 is my buffer size. When I perform I hear everything in perfect sync but I see that the midi notes are not lining up on the beats. When I pay back, they are off grid by about an 1/8th note. Doesn't happen with other keyboard patches.

Anyone else?

Check you plugin compensation settings under General I think

I’m still surprised they haven’t added grid line showing through waveforms yet. Hopefully they add this simple but yet effective feature. They have it in the editor window why not in the main arrange window.

Have you sent Apple a feature request for that?

The more people that do, the more likely it is you'll see it in an update.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html