Logic Pro X - What's new in 10.5

des99

I'm still having MAJOR issues with Drum Machine Designer. When I try to perform from with my Arturia Keyboard or my Roland SPD-30, the Midi is writing about an 1/8th note late. I'm in LowLatency mode, restarted Core Audio, have no sample delay set, 128 is my buffer size. When I perform I hear everything in perfect sync but I see that the midi notes are not lining up on the beats. When I pay back, they are off grid by about an 1/8th note. Doesn't happen with other keyboard patches.

Anyone else?

Check you plugin compensation settings under General I think

That's EXACTLY what it was. Depending on the instrument I need to with turn Plugin Compensation on or off, and turn Low Latency Mode on or off. It's a combination of those, no one setting seems to work globally. Thanks, been three days in the making!

Check you plugin compensation settings under General I think

That's EXACTLY what it was. Depending on the instrument I need to with turn Plugin Compensation on or off, and turn Low Latency Mode on or off. It's a combination of those, no one setting seems to work globally. Thanks, been three days in the making!

Ha! No worries! Yeah, this one had me scratchin' my head a couple years ago. I noticed it happens with a couple of Logic's plugins. I don't use those anymore, so I mostly just keep it on "All" and have the plugin compensation for everything. Haven't had too many sync issues since though. Glad it worked for ya. A small note: if you have plugin compensation on, be careful when you're making stems that need to be accurate down to the sample; you might have to turn off plugin latency for exporting if you do that.

BUT after I trashed my prefs, I noted some distinct changes to my interface that were NOT there before.

S and M on each channel have been replaced with a speaker icon and a headphone.

The mixer at the bottom is better aligned and the window default resize perfectly shows the fader/pan AND track name.

I'm certain there are more changes I haven't noticed yet, but I've found that trashing the preferences was an improvement.

Wht you describe looks like Logic being in basic mode. You could try to return to advanced mode in the Advanced preferences.

I’m still surprised they haven’t added grid line showing through waveforms yet. Hopefully they add this simple but yet effective feature. They have it in the editor window why not in the main arrange window.

oh no!!! really?

everybody seems to be focussed on new instruments mainly but is 'paste replace' working properly by now?

thanks!

BUT after I trashed my prefs, I noted some distinct changes to my interface that were NOT there before.

S and M on each channel have been replaced with a speaker icon and a headphone.

The mixer at the bottom is better aligned and the window default resize perfectly shows the fader/pan AND track name.

I'm certain there are more changes I haven't noticed yet, but I've found that trashing the preferences was an improvement.

Wht you describe looks like Logic being in basic mode. You could try to return to advanced mode in the Advanced preferences.

YES! I have always had advance preferences turned on for the past however many tears. Since I trashed my prefs it came up in the default.

Just my quick thoughts after 2 days of usage before going back to 10.4.4:

-It fixed the glitch of 10.4.5+ where it would crash whenever I tried to record in projects of 100+ MB. This was a glitch that a senior adviser literally said the technicians were "stumped" about.

-The editor doesn't take a super long time to open when I press E. This is an improvement.

-In the Flex editor, it defaults to snapping all the notes to the C major scale when you try to move them. This seems dumb. I had to turn this off every time I started working again.

-In projects over 100MB, it starts to take 4-5 seconds to save on my MacBook Pro Mid 2012 (16 GB RAM). One time Dr. Cleaner said I was up to 99% CPU. This is the main reason why I've switched back to 10.4.4 until I get a new laptop. I feel like 10.4.4 handles Flex better than all previous versions, although still not without maddening issues.

man...... step sequencer is ...... just.. NOT very logic.. there are no tools ¿ to select some notes..? to repeat them....

and if you need to change the velocity why not just use the mouse select and drag up or down?

you have to select FIRST the option "velocity/value" hahaha. man.... why does apple make thing so Complicated ?.. with something very simple ? ..... why so many CLICKS ? and so many steps to do something simple ?. I just don't get it.. and you can't just select from a Midi Region.. into.. step sequencer.. it is like.. something NEW ?.. that has nothing to do with Midi ?... what about .. recording some drum midi notes.. and then use the step sequencer or.. ??.... man.. so many years waiting for this .. and APple just do it all wrong.. and complicated.. as hell.... it is NOT logic and simple.. at ALL ¡ useless.. for V-Drummers.. or programing Drums with "Points".. no tools ?.. and that thing to change the velocity of a note.. you have to do something before that?..... what what???....... to change the velocity of a "HIT" you have either choose "Velocity/Value" FIRST.... then.. use the Cmd.. while Click with the mouse?...... and.. any way forget it...... the Apple THEME for Logic Pro X lives in Mars... very complicated people.. UNlogic and Not Simple at all. 4 steps to do 1 thing....... even Fruity Loops from 2002.. is better than THIS "thing" called -Step Sequencer- it is a mess. a unfinished mess.

I love the new Step Sequencer, but I agree that things could definitely be improved. Being able to set the velocity of each step by dragging up and down in it, should really be the default without first having to click "Velocity" button. I would also love to see more features for randomisation, for example being able to set individual steps to "random velocity" but each with an individual Min/Max range.

I tried using the Step Sequencer to automate plugins, and automating Bypass for a plugin is not very intuitive - I expected that an On step would mean Plugin On, and all empty steps mean Plugin Bypassed, but it doesn't work like that, you have to enter steps for Bypass after the On steps, to turn it off again. Not very slick, and not very clear visually.

Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the note or kit piece name in Step Sequencer....and you have a velocity, tie, etc. sub-lane for each step that you can drag vertically.

Click the + icon on the "header" of each lane to add further parameter sub-lanes.

Similar vibe with Bypass - click the + icon above the header list to create a new automation/plug-in parameter lane, then click the disclosure triangle to the left of the newly-created lane to display the Bypass automation lane...works like the velocity lane for notes...drag it vertically to turn bypass off/on....for corresponding steps.

I agree that this could just be a bi-polar toggle event in the Bypass lane, but it is what it is....and the automation lane needs to be used.

You can draw in any lane by dragging horizontally/vertically like Hyperedit....and can reset/initialise step values by Option-clicking them.

You can create a "Chance" lane to create random values by setting a range (of variance).

dr.cleaner is a terrible thing; google it, then google how to uninstall it.

you're going back to an older logic because saves take '4-5 seconds' to save? is it that urgent to save a few seconds there?

if it were me (and it's not, lol), i'd go with new features, options, fixes... over it taking a second or 2 longer to save a file.

Will do, thanks for the warning.

you're going back to an older logic because saves take '4-5 seconds' to save? is it that urgent to save a few seconds there

if it were me (and it's not, lol), i'd go with new features, options, fixes... over it taking a second or 2 longer to save a file.

Logic 10.4.4 takes 0-1 seconds to save, and I save probably about every 15 seconds out of fear of crashing. Lots of the things I record are difficult so I do not want to lose anything lol! So having a 4-5-second save on Logic 10.5 slows my workflow speed down by like 30%. And I'd rather not have to change my saving habits.

I don't need any of the new features—at least yet—and Flex Pitch seems to work about the same in 10.5 (other than the silly default to the C major scale), so I think I'll stick with 10.4.4 until I get a better computer.

Oh and the lag in opening the editor with "E" in 10.4.4 isn't a problem, since I've used Keyboard Maestro to assign "E" to "click the Editor button", which opens up the editor immediately.

Will do, thanks for the warning.

you're going back to an older logic because saves take '4-5 seconds' to save? is it that urgent to save a few seconds there

Logic 10.4.4 takes 0-1 seconds to save, and I save probably about every 15 seconds out of fear of crashing. Lots of the things I record are difficult so I do not want to lose anything lol! So having a 4-5-second save on Logic 10.5 slows my workflow speed down by like 30%. And I'd rather not have to change my saving habits.

I don't need any of the new features—at least yet—and Flex Pitch seems to work about the same in 10.5 (other than the silly default to the C major scale), so I think I'll stick with 10.4.4 until I get a better computer.

Oh and the lag in opening the editor with "E" in 10.4.4 isn't a problem, since I've used Keyboard Maestro to assign "E" to "click the Editor button", which opens up the editor immediately.

i do command-S constantly as well, habit. and consciously after creating any new, important parts.

what mac are you on? sounds like a hard drive issue (or not). you could do some diagnostic things (BACKUP 1st!), ie reset nvram, the smc... run first aid... anyway, whatever works, works 8-)

what mac are you on? sounds like a hard drive issue (or not). you could do some diagnostic things (BACKUP 1st!), ie reset nvram, the smc... run first aid... anyway, whatever works, works 8-)

Thanks for the suggestions! Sounds like a good idea. I use a MacBook Pro Mid 2012, OS 10.15.4, but when we bought it in 2016 we gutted it and put in a 1.02 TB SS drive and 16 GB ram. Since then I've been using it extensively with Final Cut Pro X and Logic Pro X.

Control-click a cell on a software instrument track.

A-ha. Thank you David, now I can see it.

That doesn't give me what I was after, unfortunately. The list of options that @oscwilde refers to are all Step Sequencer scale templates, not Live Loops templates.

As a workaround for now, I've just imported all the other LL templates from GarageBand iOS into LPX. I'd love to see some new ones in those other genres though!

So there aren't Bass, Drum & Melody folders alongside the Scale folder?

i do command-S constantly as well, habit. and consciously after creating any new, important parts

Auto-save doesn’t work for you, or you don’t trust it? I don’t anymore, other than in the end of my session and I haven’t lost anything significant in a couple of years now, auto-save catches the second last edit usually.

i do command-S constantly as well, habit. and consciously after creating any new, important parts

Auto-save doesn’t work for you, or you don’t trust it? I don’t anymore, other than in the end of my session and I haven’t lost anything significant in a couple of years now, auto-save catches the second last edit usually.

it does, actually; just habit. i had a crash recently, and auto-save rescued me. guess i can stop hitting command-S so often...

How different we all are. I constantly Command-S. It's become second nature to me. I've never trusted auto save. Doesn't necessarily say anything about the feature itself, only about how my brain works. ;)

Same here. I'm instinctively hitting command-S more or less any time I've just done something I wouldn't want to lose. If I'm typing, it's more or less after every paragraph, sometimes every sentence. It's like a "commit" operation for me - it makes something permanent - under *my* control, so I don't, for instance, save in the middle of a disruptive edit operation...

If you ask me, this is just how "pros" work...

Same as Des, it's like a commit operation for me too. If you've ever coded for a living then Cmd+S is just second nature to ensure that each module is saved when you swap between another, once that's in your muscle memory you can't help but do it everywhere.

I've even done it when using web browser and wondering why it's asking me where i want to save lol! I think it's more OCD than anything, i hate seeing 'unsaved' asterisks by filenames, freaks me out.

-It fixed the glitch of 10.4.5+ where it would crash whenever I tried to record in projects of 100+ MB. This was a glitch that a senior adviser literally said the technicians were "stumped" about.

When you are saying "projects of 100+ MB", what exactly are we talking about here? The filesize of the .logicx file? And if so, did you ever try to save the good old way using separated projectfiles and folders for anything else? Not only do I find this to be way more comfortable (as I sometimes may want to write something into my project folder from within another application, which isn't possible otherwise) but I also never, not even once, ran into any comparable issue.

When you are saying "projects of 100+ MB", what exactly are we talking about here? The filesize of the .logicx file? And if so, did you ever try to save the good old way using separated projectfiles and folders for anything else? Not only do I find this to be way more comfortable (as I sometimes may want to write something into my project folder from within another application, which isn't possible otherwise) but I also never, not even once, ran into any comparable issue.

i'm the opposite, i so much prefer saving as a package; easy to keep track of things; not easy to disrupt the audiofiles, do any damage. but mostly, it's an organization thing; i can put a project in a folder, dupe it for a remix (for example). and so on. simpl

my projects are mostly synths & vocals, so not a lot of content (i AM co-producing an infamous rock star currently, so all live recordings). but (for me), the simplicity and clarity of package saves ROCKS.

i'm the opposite, i so much prefer saving as a package; easy to keep track of things; not easy to disrupt the audiofiles, do any damage. but mostly, it's an organization thing; i can put a project in a folder, dupe it for a remix (for example). and so on. simpl

my projects are mostly synths & vocals, so not a lot of content (i AM co-producing an infamous rock star currently, so all live recordings). but (for me), the simplicity and clarity of package saves ROCKS.

So, that is all fine and dandy, but have you checked whether the problem persists once you don't save as a package?

So, that is all fine and dandy, but have you checked whether the problem persists once you don't save as a package?

me? am not having any such problem... think u mean 'xigwon'....