EQ band frequency parameter missing our a range of frequencies when controller knob is turned

JoshJ

I’ve setup an X-Touch Mini controller to control 4 nodes in the iZotope Neutron EQ.

3 of the nodes are working as expected when I turn the controller knobs, but For some reason the high pass filtera frequency parameter is jumping from 0hz to around 500hz in one jump no matter how little I turn the assigned knob. So I can’t actually place the filter anywhere in between those 2 values. Does anyone know why this might be happening?

• 2 weeks later...
I expect the assignment value parameters are wrong. Inspect the assignments you made in the Controller Assignments window and make the wonky assignment have the same values as the oens that work properly.

Hi. I tried setting up my controller with a Logic EQ band and the frequency node moves just fine across the whole spectrum. I’ve checked all the Controller Assignment settings for that Logic EQ band and they are all exactly the same as the Neutron EQ band Assignment settings that were saved automatically when I did "Learn”.

So it would seem the problem is unique to the Neutron EQ (maybe the way Neutron is setup?). When I turn my controller knob, the EQ band node moves in increasingly larger increments the closer it gets to the bottom of the frequency range. And then when the band reaches 255Hz it immediately jumps down to 20Hz as I keep turning the knob.

This is happening on all the bands of the EQ (not just the high pass filter as mentioned). Just to clarify, the Neutron EQ works just fine when I use the mouse with it.

Do you have any other suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi David. Reporting back on this. Made a video for you. As you can see, it seems all bands are behaving similarly; only able to move through larger increments towards the bottom of the spectrum. (20, 99, 179hz, etc)

Mapping to the other parameters (input, output gain) in Neutron is working fine. As I mentioned mapping to Logics Channel EQ works as expected also.

Mapping increments issue - Logic.mov.zip

I don't like videos. If you care to explain your issue with a text description I'lll try and help.

Thanks. I included a text description in the OP and outlined the issue again in my previous post. When I link the Neutron EQ frequency parameter to a Smart Control it is skipping a bunch of the frequencies at the low end of the spectrum.

It sounds like Neutron may be expecting a 14 bit value from the controller but the controller is only sending a 7 bit value. Is it possible to set the X-Touch Mini to send 14 bit values?

Thanks ba. It is behaving the same way when I simply link the EQ's frequency parameter to a Smart Control, thus removing the X-Touch from the equation. The controller (and the Smart Controls) work fine with other parametric EQ's. Its just the Neutron EQ (my main EQ) im having this issue with

It sounds like Neutron may be expecting a 14 bit value from the controller but the controller is only sending a 7 bit value. Is it possible to set the X-Touch Mini to send 14 bit values?

Out of interest, where would I check for and edit these bit value settings for the controller?

I've had a chance to look into this and I don't think there's a solution. As far as I can tell everything is working as designed but the limitation is in a combination of the Mackie Control protocol and the way Smart Controls work. The spec for the rotary pots on the Mackie Control devices is to output values between 1 and 65. Smart Controls, from what I can tell, map whatever range the controller puts out to the range of the plugin that is being controlled. In this case Smart Controls maps 1-65 to a range of 20-20,000 (Hz). That comes out to about 314 Hz per step on the X-Touch. If you look closely as move the X-Touch pot slowly you can see that the Neutron's frequency changes by that increment. If you map a controller that puts out values from 0-127 you'll get increments of about 157 Hz per step - still not much use at low frequencies. Only if you map a 14 bit controller (which I don't believe you can do with a Mackie Control device but you may be able to if you program the X-Touch Mini yourself) will you get increments that are small enough to be useful in lower frequency ranges.

So you’re saying this is a limitation of the Mackie Control Protocol? The X-Touch Is working fine with all other EQ plugins and parameters though. It’s just the Neutron that is having this issue. And the X-Touch isn’t even in MC mode so this shouldn’t be an issue?!

I did try the X-Touch with another EQ plugin, Apple's AUPararmatricEQ, using Smart Controls and it worked the same as with Neutron. Are you using Smart Controls when you get the X-Touch to work as it should with other parametric EQs? Which other EQs did you try? If they work with Smart Controls (as opposed to directly mapping to the EQ's controls) then my theory is probably wrong and there's something else going on.

Mapping the X-Touch Mini directly to both FabFilter Pro-Q3 and Logic's Channel EQ work just fine (with no Smart Controls involved).

Mapping Smart Controls to the Neutron EQ causes the same issue as mapping the X-Touch directly to the Neutron EQ; the EQ nodes skip a bunch a frequencies whilst moving up and down the spectrum. 20Hz to 99Hz to 179Hz, etc. Frequencies get incrementally more closely grouped the higher up the spectrum you get.

Just to add, another issues seems to have arisen which I’m not sure is related to the original frequencies skipping issues I mentioned. When trying to map to a Neutron EQ nodes frequency parameter (without Smart Controls);

when I move the node it says “EQ B1 Frequency” in the Assignment Window. But as soon as I let go of the node the title of the assignment changes to "Global Dirty Flag”. When I try and subsequently touch my Controller knob after moving the EQ node, the controller knob lists accurately in the Assignment window but its not moving the node when I turn it.

I found a thread about this here. Verdicts out. Maybe this is a known issue. Some people seems to be experiencing it and some not;

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=526424&start=60

Do you have any thoughts on what might be the crux of the issues here and whether theres anything else I can test?

Thanks. Yes, I've just done a bunch of tests on all the parameters in the various modules and half of them dont map. CC values keep coming up as "No message received" and "Global Dirty Flag". I've emailed them a list. Their support is supper slow unfortunately. Thanks for trying non the less! At least I know im not going mad ;)

By the way, on the X-Touch do you know how to get your button LED's to stay on when you press them? When i press mine the LED is only active whilst my finger is suppressing the button. When I lift my finger the LED switches off. My buttons are set to Rotate in Logics Assignment window and are functioning correctly with plugins. Just cant get the LED to stay engaged.

By the way, on the X-Touch do you know how to get your button LED's to stay on when you press them? When i press mine the LED is only active whilst my finger is suppressing the button. When I lift my finger the LED switches off. My buttons are set to Rotate in Logics Assignment window and are functioning correctly with plugins. Just cant get the LED to stay engaged.

No, I'm sorry I don't.

No, I'm sorry I don't.