Midi keyboard recognition issue

JCcares

I've been having trouble with Logic recognizing my Motif when I open up logic or turn on my keyboard (Motif with USB out selected). Logic does this until I disconnect the USB cable after opening Logic & reconnect it & then everything works fine.Not sure why.I also updated to the latest Logic version today but it did not help.

Thanks.

Does it happen if you also open the MIDI Studio before Logic?

Thanks for the response.Im not sure what you meant by Midi Studio. I usually turn on my motif & set it to send midi signal via USB,& then I open Logic.Sometimes I do it the other way around.But still I get into this issue.

Look in the Utilities folder of your Apps, I think it’s call Audio/MIDI something when you open it From the menu at the top open the MIDI window. I asked about this as there was recently an issue with some people not getting their MIDI working unless they opened this window first - apparently it was a timing issue in coreAudio.

• 2 weeks later...
Look in the Utilities folder of your Apps, I think it’s call Audio/MIDI something when you open it From the menu at the top open the MIDI window. I asked about this as there was recently an issue with some people not getting their MIDI working unless they opened this window first - apparently it was a timing issue in coreAudio.

Thanks.I checked in the Midi Studio & everything seems connected well.But it did not seem to help.While there was no midi signal being read in Logic,the moment I disconnect I get the message that midi has changed.When I reconnect everything works fine ! Not sure why this has ben happing.

• 2 weeks later...
I also have an issue with Logic not recognizing my midi controller. I have an AKAI Max25 and an Alesis V21. I usually have to restart my computer to fix the issue. I just purchased a new 2019 mabook i9 and this computer (although as a whole it runs Logic much more efficiently) seems to have more of this particular issue. I have the custom transport window open and I'm not getting any midi in and out info coming up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
When you get the issue, try to select Logic Pro X > Control Surfaces > Bypass All Control Surfaces, and see if that fixes it?

Sorry for the delayed response.I was using a Yamaha PSR keyboard & switched back to Motif today's once again bumping into the same issue.Yes I tried bypassing all control surfaces but still didn't seem to help.I'm not sure what magic takes place when I disconnect & reconnect the USB cable! When I disconnect I get an alert on Logic saying something like Number of midi ports changed....!

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

I've been having trouble with Logic recognizing my Motif when I open up logic or turn on my keyboard (Motif with USB out selected). Logic does this until I disconnect the USB cable after opening Logic & reconnect it & then everything works fine.Not sure why.I also updated to the latest Logic version today but it did not help.

Thanks.

Which exact Logic version did you update from and to which one did you to?

The system specs posted in your signature are confusing...

Thanks.

Which exact Logic version did you update from and to which one did you to?

The system specs posted in your signature are confusing...

Sorry,I just updated my signature! I have been regularly updating to current versions.

Yes I tried bypassing all control surfaces but still didn't seem to help.

Sounds like you're not 100% certain whether it helped or not. Can you make sure?

If it does not help, can you describe a specific example of a behavior you get when you perform a certain action?

Oh I'm 100% sure it does not work.Well this is what happens.Before & sometimes after launching Logic ,I set Motif ES to transmit USB data & then when I play the keyboard nothing happens & there is no midi recognition.However when I disconnect the USB cable from the back of my Motif I get the message " Changed number of midi inputs outputs.Now 0 input/outputs available".Then when I reconnect the cable everything works fine & I am able to trigger midi with the keyboard.Not sure why the keyboard is recognized only while disconnecting & reconnecting the USB cable on the keyboard.I used an old Yamaha PSR S 710 & Logic was able to recognize it immediately.So this is exactly what is going on.I downloaded the latest Yamaha midi driver yesterday from what I could find for the ES model.( Yamaha users- If there is a current update to the Motif ES driver with I may have missed ,pls let me know)

However when I disconnect the USB cable from the back of my Motif I get the message " Changed number of midi inputs outputs.Now 0 input/outputs available".Then when I reconnect the cable everything works fine & I am able to trigger midi with the keyboard.Not sure why the keyboard is recognized only while disconnecting & reconnecting the USB cable on the keyboard.

I'm not sure but this doesn't look related to Logic, only to your keyboard, so I would contact Yamaha and ask them for help troubleshooting. Still to make sure I'm right about this I recommend you download Snoize's MIDI Monitor to help you troubleshooting.

However when I disconnect the USB cable from the back of my Motif I get the message " Changed number of midi inputs outputs.Now 0 input/outputs available".Then when I reconnect the cable everything works fine & I am able to trigger midi with the keyboard.Not sure why the keyboard is recognized only while disconnecting & reconnecting the USB cable on the keyboard.

I'm not sure but this doesn't look related to Logic, only to your keyboard, so I would contact Yamaha and ask them for help troubleshooting. Still to make sure I'm right about this I recommend you download Snoize's MIDI Monitor to help you troubleshooting.

Thanks I will check on this Midi Monitor.

• 1 month later...
Sorry to keep this on as I'm still ealing with this issue. Thought I will add a thing of interest in this pursuit:.Even though Logic does not recognize midi signals coming out of the keyboard (unless cable disconnected & reconnected), when I turn off the keyboard while Logic is on I get this message "Changed number of Midi inputs..." ! So this tells me that Logic does know that a keyboard is on but does not collect it's midi data unless the cable is reconnected.Does this mean anything?

• 3 weeks later...
Did you check in your Control Surface Setup window to see what has been installed there. Some MIDI glitches could occur and trigger undue controller installations which could cause issue...

Control Surface Setup window.png

Hmm I've never thought about Control Surface Setup.After I saw your post I clicked on Control Surface & Setup & all I see is the iPad mixer.Nothing else is found. Am I supposed to see a midi keyboard or Motif display on it ?

At this point my keyboard is turned off though.

Thanks I will check on this Midi Monitor.

You're welcome. Have you tried it yet?

Not yet.I was a bit hesitant to download it hoping the issue could be fixed internally.But I would definitely check in on that eventually if the problem persists.Regarding the Control surfaces,I don't see the keyboard on display.All is see is the iPad icon.Is that normal? Should the keyboard show up there?

There's no "should": you could set up your keyboard as a control surface — but you don't have to.

For me the next step is to check MIDI Monitor to determine whether your Mac is receiving MIDI events that Logic doesn't interpret, or whether your Mac is no longer receiving MIDI events. That app is a tiny app, it's free, it takes a minute to download and install, so it's a quick and easy test which will tell you a lot.