Data Recovery for Crashed External Harddrive - PLEASE HELP

MikeG1117

Hi, I had an external hard-drive just crash on me. I had about 60 Logic Express 9 audio compositions on there without vocals that I hadn't bounced yet.

I'm wondering if anyone knows any Data Recovery software I can get online that restores .Logic files, Logic Express files so I can get these tracks back.

I see that there are individual MP3 files for the various instruments on the diagnostic I am running with iBoySoft but the composed Logic files themselves are nowhere to be found. It's an older computer also that I've been using just for audio production (Os X 10.8.5)

Please help.

Thank you---

Mike

You're pretty much out of luck. Logic does not use MP3 files, so these are from elsewhere, and of the many folks who seeked help on a crashed hard drive here, not one has reported to actually have got their data back in a useable state. Except the few genii who for some reason dragged their files into the Trash without emptying it and were delighted to find them there.

If you have data you can't afford to lose, use an automated backup program like Time Machine from now on. It costs nothing, as it's built into OSX for 13+ years now, and a 1TB drive is silly stupid today.

I was able to reassemble several projects, and the app, associated library files, AUs, etc., a few years back with Data Rescue 3, it took several days of work. Unfortunately some of the audio was too corrupted with some projects, some audio I retrieved from the freeze files.. etc.. Anyway, for the most part, it worked. Good luck

no I had data rescue 3 recover the projects, but several had corrupted audio regions, you could see it right in the tracks, empty sections in regions. Those were not recoverable, but some freeze files, which are also stored in the media folder, or bounce files if you store them in the project folder, were able to be utilized, not ideal, but desperate times... it was long ago, I don't remember many specifics. I even tried some more techy ways of recovering those audio files I found on line, editing headers or something, didn't work

I've, fortunately, not been in that position with Logic but I have with many other DAW's on PC but they don't store projects in the same way that Logic does and it was relatively easy to recover those. As others have said, I think you are going to be unlucky in this instance but for the future I'd definitely recommend DriveDX. I use this to keep an eye on all my drives as even though I have a Time Machine backup, I have several terabytes of photos and more of music that I'm paranoid about using. DriveDX reports on the health of drives and alerts you to when a drive starts to fail. It has on a number of occasions saved my bacon over the years including just 2 weeks ago when my Time Machine drive started to pack up. I know this is too late in this instance and I hope you can recover your data, but worth remember for the future.