Easy Way (one click) to Toggle Metronome On and Off?

danielsykes

Is there a way to set up the metronome so that you can turn it off completely with one click?

The way it is for me now is that it defaults to only being on when I record. But when I click the metronome icon it toggles on/off the metronome during playback. To turn off the metronome during recording I have to right click (or long click on the little arrow at the bottom) and then deactivate click during recording.

The behavior I would much rather have is that the default is metronome on during recording and by clicking on the icon it toggles the metronome on or off entirely.

And then turning on metronome during playback (far less used option) could be toggled on/off through the right click (or long click or control click menu).

Is there any way to set up this type of behavior?

Thanks!

K is the keystroke is it not?

For whatever reason I'm just never comfortable with workflows that involve key commands so I never really use them.

99% of the time I prefer using the mouse so that's why I'm always looking for the simplest method of doing things involving mouse clicks.

I guess I'll try this though. Thanks.

The metronome has an on/off setting during playback, and another during recording. So let's say it's on during both playback and recording, you have to turn it off during playback and then again during recording if you want it off in both modes.

I see.

I guess there's no way of doing what I would like which is simply disabling/enabling all metronome functions in any state with just one click.

So for example I like to have the default state be "click while recording" only but I would like to be able to turn this metronome function off with one click while the playhead is stopped.

I feel like every other DAW I have used had a simple on/off button for all metronome functions but who knows its been awhile.

I guess there's no way of doing what I would like which is simply disabling/enabling all metronome functions in any state with just one click.

Unfortunately that's correct, there is no way of doing that.

So for example I like to have the default state be "click while recording" only but I would like to be able to turn this metronome function off with one click while the playhead is stopped.

I can't think of a way to do that unless you're in Pause/Recoding mode.

Use templates, and/or K key.

What exactly do you mean by use templates?

I mean I do use templates but I do not see how that would help here.

To be clear the reason I'm looking to find the most simple process for this is because I would like to setup a template and workflow where the Smart Tempo is set to AUTO and since that mode is heavily dependant on whether the metronome is playing or not, I would like the easiest way to keep the metronome in "click while recording" mode and then toggle that on or off quickly before recording (depending on whether I would like to set the tempo or follow it).

I guess key commands are my only hope.

Unfortunately that's correct, there is no way of doing that.

I can't think of a way to do that unless you're in Pause/Recoding mode.

Thank you David.

Wait, it looks like the K key command just behaves the same way as clicking with the mouse anyway. So it still doesn't do what I want. It's just the key command version instead of mouse clicks.

Oh well, I guess I will just have to deal with the right click menu when doing this.

Life goes on. :wink:

Do a long click on the Metronome button and select Simple Mode. Now Click is always off or always on depending on the state of the button, regardless of Record- or Play-status.

I feel like I tried that and it didn't work as expected. But I will try again. Thanks!

EDIT: I see, it still clicks for a count in I see now. That was confusing me before and I just thought the function didn't work.

This may work ill try it out.

Do a long click on the Metronome button and select Simple Mode. Now Click is always off or always on depending on the state of the button, regardless of Record- or Play-status.

In simple mode the Metronome is never always off. It's either always on, or on only during count-in in Record mode.

@danielsykes to understand the Metronome behavior I suggest you open the Metronome settings (File > Project Settings > Metronome) and experiment with the various settings.

I beg to differ:

It's not clear what you're doing on your .gif but just press stop, turn the metronome off, and start a recording. In Simple mode, you'll hear the metronome during the count-in.

Not in that case because it looks like he has count in off altogether.

That's the problem with Simple mode is that count in is a completely seperate function.

So that would have to be toggled off seperately. So we have once again firmly left the realm of one click.

Count-In is always off here. Click starts at bar 1, music starts at bar 2.

The task was to make the click come and go with one mouse-click. If he does not want a metronome yet still wants a count-in, yes, he can click on that too.

Edited by fuzzfilth

Logic's default behavior is to have a 4 beat count-in. My count-in is always on, so I hadn't even considered the behavior with the count-in off.

But I just tried it with Smart Tempo in AUTO mode and it apparently does fit the bill, automatically toggling the Smart Tempo behavior from KEEP to ADAPT depending on the (now single) Metronome state.

Logic's default behavior is to have a 4 beat count-in. My count-in is always on, so I hadn't even considered the behavior with the count-in off.

But I just tried it with Smart Tempo in AUTO mode and it apparently does fit the bill, automatically toggling the Smart Tempo behavior from KEEP to ADAPT depending on the (now single) Metronome state.

Yes it's technically workable but it's a bit of a compromise because when you are going to record in ADAPT mode because you would like to play with a free tempo, it is a bit annoying to hear the count-in in a (presumably) different tempo.

And I like to keep the count in on by default because I often record in cycle mode as I mentioned before.

Anyway, such is life.

What would really be the best solution for me is if you could just add individual buttons for 'click while recording' and 'click during playback'. Then you could just toggle the one function you're actually dealing with at a time.

I mean there's like 20 different versions of the stop button that you can add, why not 2 for the metronome (3 if you count count-in).

Anyway maybe Logic 13 will add this absolutely vital "feature".

What you can do is click the Metronome: during recording to toggle the Metronome state during recording, or during playback to toggle the Metronome state during playback.

Sometimes I press Record just so that I can toggle the Metronome state during recording then stop the recording before the count-in is over.

this won't work at all when recording in cycle mode (which I often do).

Dude, you seem to like to be complicated...

- Deactivate 1234 Count-In

- Go to Project Settings > Recording

- Activate Record Pre-Roll, set it to 3sec

- Enable Cycle

- Hit Record

- Look Ma, silent preroll into Cycle Recording

But I guess this does not correctly make your studio lights blink in time when passing over a tempo change right at the Cycle start if you're on an uneven track number and the bar number is not divisible by 3.

this won't work at all when recording in cycle mode (which I often do).

Dude, you seem to like to be complicated...

- Deactivate 1234 Count-In

- Go to Project Settings > Recording

- Activate Record Pre-Roll, set it to 3sec

- Enable Cycle

- Hit Record

- Look Ma, silent preroll into Cycle Recording

But I guess this does not correctly make your studio lights blink in time when passing over a tempo change right at the Cycle start if you're on an uneven track number and the bar number is not divisible by 3.

Your smug cynicism is really unwarranted since no one is forcing you to participate in this thread.

I asked a simple question. David gave me a simple answer long ago (the thing I was asking about cannot be done).

Since then I've been entertaining ideas about compromises and workarounds.

Yet you keep insisting you've perfectly solved the problem when you haven't.

And for some bizarre reason you seem put out by the fact that your methods aren't perfect solutions for my particular case and workflow.

None of it is such a big deal really. If the thing I wanted to work would work it would save me a tiny bit of time and annoyance every once in awhile. Not the end of the world.

Anyway, I thank you for your contributions.

Don't know why you got such an attitude about it but oh well, no big deal. Good luck with the rest of your day.