Switching between 10.4.8 and 10.5?

keyboardist1

I am currently on Logic 10.4.8 and would like to update to 10.5. My issue is that I work regularly with a client who is in 10.4.8 and is likely to not upgrade. We send logic projects back and forth. My question is, can I have a local copy of both 10.4.8 (for my client projects) and 10.5 for my new productions. If not, will a 10.5 project open I. 10.4.8 if I’m not using any of the “new” features. IE live loops, etc.

If neither of these two options are possible, is the new “sampler” backwards compatible with EXS24? meaning if I have an instrument can Allee instrument created in 10.5 will that open in EXS24. I think I know the answers to all these questions ( as in, NO to all) but wanted to ask someone who is already on 10.5, so I can figure out how to maximize my workflow for personal and client sessions.

Yes, you can have both installed (this is good practice, in fact, to evaluate a new version without losing your existing version), and yes, 10.4.8 will open a 10.5 project (although it will give you a warning).

I'm not sure offhand with the sampler thing, as the new samplers have a lot more stuff than the EXS24 did, and I haven't tested this as yet.

I am currently on Logic 10.4.8 and would like to update to 10.5. My issue is that I work regularly with a client who is in 10.4.8 and is likely to not upgrade. We send logic projects back and forth. My question is, can I have a local copy of both 10.4.8 (for my client projects) and 10.5 for my new productions. If not, will a 10.5 project open I. 10.4.8 if I’m not using any of the “new” features. IE live loops, etc.

Theoretically yes, but me personally I would be a little nervous about the two versions of LogicPro accessing the same preference files. Some people are saying it seems to work fine though. Make sure you compress your 10.4.8 LPX before updating so that you can roll back, but if you really want to be complete you'll also compress all the logic preferences and Application Support files too. or maybe it will work fine going back and forth. (shrug). let us know! but back it all up first.

If neither of these two options are possible, is the new “sampler” backwards compatible with EXS24? meaning if I have an instrument can Allee instrument created in 10.5 will that open in EXS24. I think I know the answers to all these questions ( as in, NO to all) but wanted to ask someone who is already on 10.5, so I can figure out how to maximize my workflow for personal and client sessions.

I just opened a quick sampler preset in EXS24, using Mainstage. So yes...EXS24 can read the QSampler presets, and I presume Sample presets too. It must ignore the settings that are new and it doesn't know anything about. (knock on wood).

That being said, if you create a project in LogicPro 10.5 using instances of Sampler or QSampler, and then try to open the project in logicPro 10.4.8, the older version of LogicPro is going to complain that the Sampler/QSampler plugin doesn't exist. It doesn't know anything about it. You could manually put instances of EXS24 onto tracks and then load the Sampler/QSampler presets into them one by one...

Yes, you can have both installed (this is good practice, in fact, to evaluate a new version without losing your existing version), and yes, 10.4.8 will open a 10.5 project (although it will give you a warning).

I'm not sure offhand with the sampler thing, as the new samplers have a lot more stuff than the EXS24 did, and I haven't tested this as yet.

Ok, thanks des99. This is good news. Are you or anyone aware of the process for having both installed at same time? (I've never done that before). I have compressed one version to potentially roll back if I've had to in the past, but haven't concurrently run two versions at same time. Do I need to compress my existing version before I download and install 10.5? Thanks for any answers, just want to do it correctly the first time. Regarding my client sessions in 10.4.8, I figure if worse came to worse, I can just bounce all tracks as stems in 10.5 before handing off a session to be opened up by client in 10.4.8.

Theoretically yes, but me personally I would be a little nervous about the two versions of LogicPro accessing the same preference files. Some people are saying it seems to work fine though. Make sure you compress your 10.4.8 LPX before updating so that you can roll back, but if you really want to be complete you'll also compress all the logic preferences and Application Support files too. or maybe it will work fine going back and forth. (shrug). let us know! but back it all up first.

1. Will do on compressing before update

2. will do on compressing preferences and application support files. (just to be safe and have a backup if needed)

I just opened a quick sampler preset in EXS24, using Mainstage. So yes...EXS24 can read the QSampler presets, and I presume Sample presets too. It must ignore the settings that are new and it doesn't know anything about. (knock on wood).

That is good news as well as I'm a heavy MainStage user and was curious about that as well. I can totally understand that MainStage would ignore andy of the "new" parameters. (At least till MainStage update comes out, which hopefully won't be too long after)

That being said, if you create a project in LogicPro 10.5 using instances of Sampler or QSampler, and then try to open the project in logicPro 10.4.8, the older version of LogicPro is going to complain that the Sampler/QSampler plugin doesn't exist. It doesn't know anything about it. You could manually put instances of EXS24 onto tracks and then load the Sampler/QSampler presets into them one by one...

Also, regarding the previously installed "library" do I need to fully compress the entire 10.4.8 library? or will 10.5 share the existing 10.4.8 Library?

Not trying to come off as a "noob" as I've been using Logic since v7, I just haven't been faced with this type of scenario since the with from Logic 9 to 10.

At that time, I did have both copies running concurrently, but that was a while ago now and it was a pita.

I wouldn't bother backing up the content library you can always redownload that again if it gets messed up in some way. But if you really want to be backed up, you should backup Preference plists, patch files, channel strip settings files, and all the rest. In all likelihood they should be ok...but never know...nobody has a written garauntee that you can go back and forth.

Do I need to rename the Logic 10.4.8 prior to download and install?

and of course if your machine is backed up with TimeMachine then you don't have to do anything, the Time Machine backup can always be used to get it all back if you have to. In that case, just back up the LogicPro App bundle, by compressing it. Then install the update, and then you can uncompress the old LPX and save it as a different name. You could theoretically go back and forth. And honestly it should be fine...we are just talking about safety here just in case. But me personally I am a little nervous about mixing and matching preference files more than anything.. but some people are saying it works fine...so...

yes

Copy and rename "Logic Pro X.app" to "Logic Pro X 10.4.8.app".

Update to 10.5, which is what "Logic Pro X.app" will be now.

Now you can choose which you want to run by running whichever app you want - it's as simple as that.

If you are concerned about preferences and other "personal" things you could create a second user account on your system and use that one to specifically work on Logic 10.4.8 projects. Put the 10.4.8 copy of Logic in the new users area. You can even set Logic 10.4.8 as a login item, opening it on login.

Note - you cannot run two copies of Logic at the same time, even if they are different versions.

Back up your preferences if you are really paranoid, but there's really nothing special required here. I've had as many as 8 or 9 different versions in the Apps folder on occasion.

Gotcha. So I did back the preference files and plists just in case, made a logic app copy and renamed it Logic Pro x 10.4.8, then proceeded with the download. jsut got it, so still downloading the additional content. After that will open up a few projects, check them, then open a few up in 10.4.8 and see where I'm at. Really appreciate the feedback, advice and support. You all know how these things go. Just not wanting it to interrupt my workflow.