Mac Mic Leaking Into Logic???

logic8mine
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

if you talk in fron of your mac, does the meter reflect what you're speaking? & take a screenshot of the audio preferences in logic.

if you're NOT seeing the meters reflect your talking, go into system preferences>sound... & try turning the mic down there.

are any other audio apps open?

Yes fisherking, that's what I have been describing. It's picking up any and everything in the room, including my voice if I am talking and the meters reflect it. No other apps are open except Safari. Occurs without Safari being open and as stated No input is selected in preferences...

68634050_ScreenShot2020-05-20at7_55_09PM.thumb.png.db68510ba373c880f2e620034e277f79.png

Are you running any other software at the same time?? Skype? Zoom? Anything else that might be monitoring the mic of the computer? Its probably not a Logic thing but another piece of software with "active monitoring"? I dunno just a thought

no other software... I am going to get my MAC checked out, I think...

have you rebooted? and the mic is being recorded? when you playback, you're hearing it? what happens if you change the mic level in system preferences?

Yes, it may be in the MAC or OS possibly??? There were some audio issues last night as well. Changing mic level in system prefs does reduce the level. It's a workaround. But, I still don't know why signal is present with no audio tracks or mic input selected. In new projects with empty Software Instrument tracks the level is present also.

this is beyond my expertise (as i don't use any external synths), but why is kontakt showing as an external device? where is that coming from?

The MIDI piano part was originally recorded years ago on a Kontakt instantiated track. Updating the project, I created an EI track and dragged the MIDI region onto it, the EI took on the MIDI regions orginal name...

Hey, Thanks for your help!!!

• 2 months later...

Btw, this is still an ongoing issue. Just curious as to whether it is now normal behavior that I cannot set my Input Device to None. It keeps reverting to Macbook Pro Microphone even after reboot, resetting nvram, etc.. Not currently using an audio device, just mixing at home. The MBP Mic is heard and registers level in Logic despite having no Audio Tracks.

376572920_ScreenShot2020-08-16at1_33_33AM.thumb.png.819b79f7547a34760bbbfa0b070bb52d.png

@logic8mine I've not seen anyone ask what to me seems like a logical *pardon pun* place to start. Have you looked in audio midi devices for the actual OS?. It can auto add that in and even if you tell Logic no, it may pick it up each time, even if as we know it shouldn't. Make sure audio midi devices for OSX does not have an input device in it selected.

Cheers,

Tony

Including a pic. My external instrument is not even connected by the way... Also, not playing any instrument but showing input levels

What are the settings exactly inside that External Instrument plug-in?

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Dave this is the issue. Without the Motif XS 8 connected, the External Instrument creates an unwieldy audio loop. The input has to be set to ---.

Solved!!! Thanks again

• 7 months later...
Do you have any other app to manage your audio streams on your Mac, such as Loopback for example?

Wow lol, never saw this reply. Anyway, while I purchased Looper recently, it was not installed at the time of the op. And, the issue persists. I thought I had it isolated to tracks containing disconnected external instruments, but that is not the case. It's exascerbated then but, audio signal is still passed through to empty audio regions. I'm thinking there is an issue with the audio card of the mac. The caveat is getting it dianosed would require buying a second mac, due to the unacceptable downtime.