Audio dropout Logic 10.5 and Catalina

NeilT82

I’m running the latest Logic Pro on a 2020 MacBook Pro that has Catalina. I’m using 3rd party plugins that are all up to date compatible and authorized. I’m getting random drops in audio. They last about 1/2 a second. Is anyone else experiencing this?

There’s been a few threads like this recently. I’m out of ideas for you - although it could be helpful to know your RAM, disc connections, MIDI connections, audio etc eg what you’ve setup and how. Does it happen when your interface is disconnected ie relying on the Mac’s IO only? Does the Console give any clues as to what’s happening?

It's doing it on multiple songs and I will try to play with just built in audio. I feel like it's something with my 3rd party plugins even though they are all current and authorized. I'm using Sound Toys, Waves and Izotope plugins. I have a video of it happening on my iPhone but it won't let me upload it to here. Anyone know the format it should be to upload video here?

Thank you guys for taking time to reply!

Here are my specs.... LPX 10.5.0

2020 MacBook Pro- 1.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

MacOS 10.15.4- 16GB RAM

Duet Apogee

Apogee doesn’t think it’s an issue with them since bounces and Spotify play without issues. I talked to Apple for a couple hours and they couldn’t figure it out either. We did find out that my CPU % is hitting over 110 for a 1 minute song that is mainly using 4 alchemy tracks, 1 sampler track and some vocals and loops. They thought that could be causing the drops. My Mac is not even 1 week old and should be able to handle that. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks guys.

Hi,

May be you could go back to the start and look at Preferences/Audio

Look at buffer, sample rate, latency etc.

Also look further down the menu and see if your Mac is optimised for Playback and live tracks (multi core) or live tracks (single core)

It may help

Regards

Rodney

Hi Neil,

If you are mixing then don’t be afraid to increase your buffer size from 512 to 1024 or greater.

I would also consider changing Threads from automatic to eight. This may help to spread the processing over the four cores.

By opening up the customisation view up in the top screen and selecting CPU HD display, it is possible to see how Logic is using your processing cores. You would be aiming for a setting that uses all the cores. Logic may only be using one core which may account for the drop outs as well.

Hope this helps

Rodney

Thanks for that info Rodney! After doing more troubleshooting I really think it’s the Apogee Duet that I’ve been using for over 6 years. I cannot get it to drop audio unless I’m running through the Duet. I’m glad it’s not my new Mac!