Dynamics or Gain ?

djsnake
Go to solution Solved by fuzzfilth,

Hey everybody. How are you all ? I hope you guys fine. I have a question. Since the "Overload Protection" feature on bounce section decreases the volume a lot, I created a new project with 1 audio track and imported the track that was processed with "Overload Protection". Now my question is, in order to increase to volume to average volume level, should I just use Gain Plugin / Tool and boost some dBs or Should I make some heavy procession like Compression, Maximizing, Etc. I wonder if the track loses quality, richness in some frequencies, or something if I just add gain and boost the volume.

Changing the dynamic of a track changes its sound, whether it's for better or for worse is in the eye of the beholder. Try extreme compression settings to clearly hear the negative side effects the compression produces, then dial it back to more reasonable levels while listening, this time knowing full well what negative effects to listen for.

• Solution

First make sure you grasp the concept of Overload Protection. It says "Whatever you may want to load onto this lorry, we make sure by the time it leaves the gate it only carries as much height as it possibly can without crashing into the next underpass". By pulling into another garage and throwing yet more stuff on top of it, you're setting yourself up for at least an entertaining youtube video.

Seriously, the reason OP decreases volume a lot is because you went nuts on some levels, clipping the output in the process and OP tries to keep you from harming yourself by turning the stuff down. If you just turn it up again, then a) you will clip the output again and b) OP will say:

1726180640_Bildschirmfoto2020-05-24um17_02_03.thumb.png.adfe26f6213c6a4535cfa1129e8c20d0.png

I want to get higher volume levels without losing any richness / depth, just increase the volume.

The only way to just increase the volume is to turn the volume up on your monitoring device. Any processing you add to affect the loudness perception WILL change the sound, the dynamic, and add distortion. It becomes a matter of how much dynamic reduction and distortion you're willing to sacrifice for loudness perception. In classical music, for example, where truthfull representation without distortion is king, most producer never ever used any kind of dynamic processing, as they aren't willing to sacrifice an ounce of sound quality. Modern music genres are, obviously, another story.