Logic swapped my Alchemy patches for those in another open project. Why? How?

saddlemeyer227

I just lost a lot of work.

Frankly I'm boggled at how this could have happened. Project A and Project B shared nothing in common except that I briefly had them open simultaneously last night. They were not project alternatives.

Opened Project A this morning and ALL of my Alchemy tracks were set to the presets I had modified in Project B. How!?

The rest of my tracks (3rd party instruments) were unaffected (as far as I can tell).

I've never experienced anything like this in any DAW.

I'm terrified. Do I need to go through all my projects and save every modified Alchemy patch as a user preset?

Why would this happen?

Is this a known bug? Please tell me this was user error and will be easily-avoidable in the future.

Obviously from now on I'll never have more than one project open at a time...

Frankly I'm boggled at how this could have happened. Project A and Project B shared nothing in common except that I briefly had them open simultaneously last night. (...)

Unfortunately you've just answered your own question, listing both the reason for the behavior you got and the solution. :(

Frankly I'm boggled at how this could have happened. Project A and Project B shared nothing in common except that I briefly had them open simultaneously last night. (...)

Unfortunately you've just answered your own question, listing both the reason for the behavior you got and the solution. :(

So this is known behavior? I wasn't dragging, dropping, copying or pasting between the projects. I simply realized that I needed to make a quick change to Project B.

Ableton doesn't allow simultaneous open projects, perhaps this is why. I just assumed that it was a feature - not a bug - in Logic.

Is that the recommendation then? Never open multiple projects?

-Edit- I see you answered that last question - thanks :)

Edited by saddlemeyer227

odd one, but perhaps because 2 projects were open at once. meanwhile, import from the other logic project; you can copy over the alchemy tracks from project B, and fix project A. still...yikes.

I think perhaps I didn't fully explain the situation. The projects are unrelated - it's patch settings that are lost. There's nothing to import :(

Actually one more quick question - I don't actually need to save every change I make to an Alchemy preset as a new user preset do I?

Can I reasonably trust that the "one project at a time" solution will keep my work safe?

odd one, but perhaps because 2 projects were open at once. meanwhile, import from the other logic project; you can copy over the alchemy tracks from project B, and fix project A. still...yikes.

I think perhaps I didn't fully explain the situation. The projects are unrelated - it's patch settings that are lost. There's nothing to import :(

yes, but you can import from another logic project (plugins, content, etc); so you can open project A, "import logic projects" under the file menu, import the alchemy tracks from project B, and perhaps move the regions from the original track to the new one with the correct sound.

a little finessing to do, but you can get back what you had.

yes, but you can import from another logic project (plugins, content, etc); so you can open project A, "import logic projects" under the file menu, import the alchemy tracks from project B, and perhaps move the regions from the original track to the new one with the correct sound.

Apologies, I think I'm a little confused. The "switch" was one way - Project B Alchemy patches overwrote Project A Alchemy patches. There's nothing from Project A in Project B to import. The track content is completely different.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you - it's early, I haven't had my coffee and am frenetically trying to recreate these sounds :)

Actually one more quick question - I don't actually need to save every change I make to an Alchemy preset as a new user preset do I?

No you don't.

Can I reasonably trust that the "one project at a time" solution will keep my work safe?

Yes, the known issue stems only from opening multiple projects at the same time in Logic (it's one of the reasons for the alert you get when opening a project while one is already open).

Apologies, I think I'm a little confused. The "switch" was one way - Project B Alchemy patches overwrote Project A Alchemy patches. There's nothing from Project A in Project B to import. The track content is completely different.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you - it's early, I haven't had my coffee and am frenetically trying to recreate these sounds :)

no, my apologies. when you said 'swapped'... that's a 2-way thing. but i get it (also posting pre-coffee!)