Option to always display stereo out channel in inspector

Lazy M Beats

Hey,

I would love if one could have the option to pick what channel strip(s) you always want to appear in the inspector, especially the stereo out channel.

Right now it defaults to the following:

-If the channel strip has no bus sends, you can see the stereo out channel on the right into the inspector. This is great. I always want access to AT LEAST the stereo out channel in my inspector, at all times.

-If the channel strip has any kind of bus send, it displays the aux channel it is being sent to but DOES NOT display the stereo out channel. While it's great to see the aux channel, it is not ideal that I can't also view the main stereo out channel strip easily in the inspector. It's hard to see at a glance what effect your changes are having on the stereo out channel. I could, for instance, turn up the volume of a channel strip or aux channel and not realize that it is now clipping the main stereo out channel until I go into the mix area and see the stereo out channel.

The stereo out channel is also where I keep the majority of my referencing plug-ins (tune meter, Spectrum EQs, level meters, image meters, etc). I generally just solo instruments to reference them instead of putting them on each channel strip. Thus it would be more efficient if I always had access to opening these meters through the inspector, regardless of what screen set I am in and not having to change them.

It would be great if we could choose, select and deselect the channel(s) we want to be included in the inspector. I have enough screen real estate that I wouldn't mind having 3 channel strips or more displayed in the inspector. For instance you could have in the inspector: #1 the instrument, #2 the aux the instrument is being bussed to, #3 the stereo output. This could perhaps even include higher channel strip number options if desired. Let's say there are a couple instruments that you really want to focus on mixing or affecting in relation to each other. It would be nice to have an option to have all those desired strips displayed into the inspector so that you can see side by side, their relative volumes and plug-in chains.

I realize that I could create a specified mixer view that only includes those channels but it would be nice if I could just "check" and "uncheck" channel strips in the mixer window to add them or subtract them from the inspector view. I also realize I could create another screenset that focuses on the plug-ins on the stereo out but sometimes I just want to stay in my current screenset because I am zoomed into a particular region in my timeline. Having to go back to a previous screenset will revert me to the saved zoom position, etc.

Seems like this could be a pretty easy implementation. Not sure if anyone else cares as much as I do!

Hi Lazy M Beats,

It's already possible to dynamically display on the right side of the inspector the various channels strips you are routing to from the channel strip shown on the left:

Simply Shift-click a send slot or the output slot of your channel strip shown on the left and the right side will be updated to show the corresponding destination channel strip.

J.

Hey David,

Yes someone else actually tuned me onto the single view in a question thread. Both this and Jordi's tip are great ones!

I guess what it comes down to is me being VERY nitpicky for the sake of efficiency. I run a dual monitor system. Monitor 1 is always the arrangement area set to a zoomed out timeline view. Monitor 2 alternates, depending on the screenset, between a full screen piano roll or mixer view.

I would love to have a triple (+) inspector view option because sometimes I've zoomed in on my timeline to a particular part or region and I'm currently in my piano roll screenset. My options would be to switch screensets to my mixer view (and go to single) and lose my zoomed in position or to press X and bring up the mixer view that cuts into my arrangement area. While I can, of course, live with both of these options, I thought it would be cool if I could keep my current screenset, zoomed in position and not have the mixer cut into my arrangement window by being able to add more channel strips to the inspector view.

If I'm making an adjustments on the parameters of my instrument and that instrument is being bussed, I want to be able to see not only how it affects that aux channel it is being bussed to but also the stereo output, quickly at a glance. This is especially true because as I mentioned, I keep all my metering plug-ins on my stereo output. I like to solo instruments and pull up "insight" plug-in by izotope for instance to see where they sit in the stereo field. Where it stands now I have to hunt through the mixer window to get to my stereo out when instruments have busses.

Sure, I could make a separate screenset with all my metering plug-ins windowed up but I'll still run into the issue of losing my zoom position in the timeline when I switch over.

Again, I know it's VERY nitpicky but I would love to see a solution to this or a workflow work around. It is entirely possible that I work like a doofus and everyone else knows has a proper workflow!