New VCA fader bug?

chrissmithmusic93

My mix template has 6 VCA faders (Drums>Bass>Gtrs>Keys>LeadVox>BV - in order 1-6) preset, so when I import my mixes, I just route everything through the appropriate VCA faders and start mixing. If I need to make new VCA's for strings, horns, synths etc, I'll add them afterwards as my work tends to be mostly organic stuff lately.

Today, importing the stems for a new mix into my template, I assign my Drums to their Drum VCA, no problem. Next, I go to the bass tracks to assign them to the Bass VCA, I click 'Bass' in the VCA list... and it somehow selects Gtrs VCA?! I assign my Guitars to 'Gtrs' and it instead assigns them to BV. It won't let me change them afterwards either. I don't recall ever having this issue in the past.

In the meantime I have deleted my VCA's and made new ones from 'create new VCA for selected track' in the menu, and it works fine. For this mix, no problem. For future mixes? I have a few projects coming in that I'll need my template to work for.

Has anyone come across this? I find the routing in Logic Pro clunky at best, but i've not had it be this stubborn in the past.

• 10 months later...

Hi, I have the exact same problem. I have found a workaround that it's annoying but it worked for me. I am using the latest Logic Pro Version in Big Sur, for your reference. So here it is: (I did this all while the mixer window is open)

- Create a new Audio track. I know there are other options, but I just used New Track (the (+) button) then Audio

- Go to the VCA box on the track (since the track is new it should be empty) and select New VCA Fader...

- That should send you to the latest VCA you created, and maybe change its name too, but don't worry about that for the moment. At this point, there should be a VCA track highlighted

- Go to the Mixer Options and select Create New VCA Fader

You should have a new VCA track. If you try to create a New VCA Fader again using only this latest step or using any other menu option, it doesn't work (at least for me). The only way that I could make it work was to repeat the entire process from the creation of a new audio track. I believe it doesn't work either if you for example create 5 empty tracks and try to do this 5 times. You have to create each audio track and then immediately continue with the VCA fader part, and then repeat from the top as many times as VCA tracks you need. When you are finished, simply delete your empty audio tracks.

• 1 year later...