Can any hardware controllers toggle the steps of the Step Sequencer?

stikygum

I'm wondering if there are any hardware controllers, like the Novation Launchpad or Akai Fire, that can toggle the steps of the Step Sequencer on/off. I'm not sure if this is possible and was trying to find an answer online, but don't see anyone mentioning or doing it.

I found out that Logic Remote doesn't have this ability. I have no idea why it doesn't because it would be a perfect pairing. I understand it would be cramped on an iPad mini, but quite nice to use on the iPad Pro. I hope Apple adds this to Logic Remote in a future update.

I don't believe that's possible, no. Control surfaces are more performance devices typically, not really programming or writing devices. While with MIDI you can simply record a MIDI performance onto a track, or use MIDI editors that have step input capabilities, with the Step Sequencer there are no such capabilities.

This is a feature that SHOULD end up there if its not there already. The Ableton Live and FL Studio devices were designed just for this purpose. People will want to use those with LogicPro at some point. now can it be done now? I have no idea. My guess would be no. but at some point, some OSC messages or midi messages that connect to step sequencer pattern cells would be very nice to work with those same kinds of controllers that people use with Live and FL Studio now today. I doubt it will be working now, but maybe so, but i didn't see any information about that so far and I kinda doubt it.

That's unfortunate if there still is no possibility to toggle step sequencer steps from a hardware controller. When 10.5 was released, I immediately thought Logic Remote must have that option and display the step sequencer steps to toggle on/off. But instead it seems to have every other possible random function for the step sequencer but this. Seems very strange and makes me think that it's difficult for the programs to create this functionality. I'd glad Logic Remote has those other step sequencer functions too, because I'll be using the Step sequencer quite a bit even if I hate using the trackpad/mouse a lot.

I guess I'm going to have to resort to recording my hardware sequencers into Logic and try to piece everything together or resort to using the trackpad/mouse to step sequence in Logic.

make sure to submit feature request to Apple. I'm surprised, but not shocked to hear that Apple did not include at least with LogicRemote a way to trigger the step sequencer cells...that would have been an essential feature if I were project lead. But I'm not.. ;-)

make sure to make your request known to apple (google Logic Pro feature request).

If they were to enable OSC commands for this, any number of different midi controllers, iPad software and other things could do exactly what you are desiring, but they would need to have SOME Kind of keyboard command or OSC command or midi message routing of some kind to do that. I think OSC would make the most sense. A lot of LogicPro GUI functionality is already controllable via OSC. Maybe its in there now even, but I don't know enough to know whether LogicPro automatically sends OSC commands as you use the GUI. You could try using an OSC logger to listen to see if LogicPro is sending out OSC commands as you click on Step Sequencer cells, you might be able to reverse engineer it, if its even there. I tend to think its probably not or they would have added it to LogiceRemote, as you surmised, but its worth a try.

• 11 months later...