Which Mac should I buy?

For 11 years I'm working with an early 2009 MacPro, which can't be updated beyond El Capitan. So for a couple of years now I'm stuck with what I have and can't update Logic nor other plugins like Kontakt etc. I have to invest into a new system and wonder what your recommendations would be.

Since my projects demand a high number of virtual instruments which need sufficient RAM (48-64GB), need multiple monitors for film scoring/editing, and multiple SSD drives for storing and for sample/streaming content, I guess a Macbook is out of the question.

The new Mac Pro is certainly something I would love to have, but the configuration I need would easily make this a $15000 investment just for the computer. That is a little too much for me right now. In my desperation I was even considering leaving Logic behind (after 30+ years) and move to Cubase on a PC, but I would rather not do that and stick with Logic.

Maybe you can give me some information about what you are working with or any recommendation would be appreciated!

Thank you!

For 11 years I'm working with an early 2009 MacPro, which can't be updated beyond El Capitan.

I have the same computer as you do. I converted it into a 12-core that runs Mojave and the latest Logic.

You have to buy two de-lidded Xeon CPUs, a metal capable graphics card, and do a motherboard firmware update to transform it into a 5,1 so it can run High Sierra and Mojave.

I put OSX Mojave on an SSD in the spare DVD bay with a mounting kit from OWC and a USB 3.0 Pcie card and a new airport/bluetooth chip to have Airdrop

All said and done the cost at current prices was around 700-800 bucks.

I don't have Thunderbolt, but don't need it at the moment.

If you need Thunderbolt a Mac Mini is the cheapest route, if you have monitors already. Buy a Thunderbolt 3 dock from OWC and your peripherals are covered.

To FelixWeb:

I was in a similar position, using an old 2008 Mac Pro that had no easy upgrade path. Anyway, I wanted more speed and power.

I bought a 2018 Mac Mini with nice specs and I'm really delighted with it. Check if you can configure one to your needs (RAM, SSD size etc) - maybe that's the efficient and budget-friendly option.

I upgraded my 1012 Macbook by doubling my RAM and having my Hard Drive replaced by an SSDrive. The drive really sped things up, and I've eliminated most of the moving parts (except for the DVD driver). It should be almost immortal. I wish I could afford a Mac Air because of its light weight, but I can't. I haven't heard anything about how an Air would handle Logic.

art Lowell said:
I upgraded my 1012 Macbook by doubling my RAM and having my Hard Drive replaced by an SSDrive. The drive really sped things up, and I've eliminated most of the moving parts (except for the DVD driver). It should be almost immortal. I wish I could afford a Mac Air because of its light weight, but I can't. I haven't heard anything about how an Air would handle Logic.

I also have a Macbook Air 2016, great with Logic, a friend of mine has one with Logic too, all great.

Thank you all for your responses! I looked at every suggestion and learned a lot about the many ways things can be done. I came to the conclusion, that for me an iMac Pro is the best way to go. It is still pricier than I would have wanted it to be, but it is also my livelihood and a good investment (I hope). I just have to work a little more :)

Again, thank you so much for all your suggestions!

FelixWeb said:
I came to the conclusion, that for me an iMac Pro is the best way to go.

Remember you're paying for a graphics card you don't need and the 2019 27-inch iMac with an i9 chip beats the 10-core base model iMac Pro.

You can't upgrade the Ram on the Pro, it's sealed shut. And you're paying a 1000 bucks more for a less powerful machine.

You can add Ram later on the 27-inch iMac and save 400 bucks from Apple ram prices.

The iMac Pro has 4 Thunderbolt ports against the 2 of the iMac. If that is the deciding factor for you worth a 1000 or more bucks, then don't listen to me.

https://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-comparison-chart/?compare=all-current-macs&highlight=0&prod1=iMacIntel083&prod2=iMacPro001&prod3=iMacIntel078

Thanks for or the additional information! Even more for me to consider. I guess 2 Thunderbold ports are fine. My audio interface is going to be the "PreSonus Quantum 2626 Thunderbolt 3". I'll gather some more info on the 2019 iMac. Saving some money is a good thing!

FelixWeb said:
I guess 2 Thunderbold ports are fine. My audio interface is going to be the "PreSonus Quantum 2626 Thunderbolt 3"

You obviously wanna use one dedicated port for the Quantum.

And if you're not using Thunderbolt external HDs you can always grab a Thunderbolt 3 Dock for other peripherals for the second port:

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/docks/owc-thunderbolt-3-dock

We use this dock at the studio with a 2019 iMac and only 1 usb port is empty!

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/owc-thunderbolt-3-pro-dock

I was reading about the 2019 iMac and I'm definitely interested, but couldn't figure out how much SSD storage is possible. I need a minimum of 3TB but better yet 4TB. Would an external SSD also be sufficient for sample streaming?.

I came to the conclusion, that for me an iMac Pro is the best way to go.

Remember you're paying for a graphics card you don't need and the 2019 27-inch iMac with an i9 chip beats the 10-core base model iMac Pro.

You can't upgrade the Ram on the Pro, it's sealed shut. And you're paying a 1000 bucks more for a less powerful machine.

I recommended the iMac Pro not because it's absolutely the most powerful iMac available (it depends on the specs you choose of course), I recommended it because as an audio machine, it's cooling system is *way* superior to a regular iMac, which is essentially laptop internals with only slightly better than laptop cooling. Remember, with iMacs, the fans are right there, in front of your face, between your monitors, and you can't move them.

Sure - if you're not doing heavy CPU projects - like tracking a band and not using many plugins, then more or less any machine will be quiet. But if you're into stressing the machine, lots of plugins, lots of VI tracks, over a long period of time, the CPU's get hot, the fans kick in.

Also - the base model of most of the "Pro" machines isn't great value, I recommend going up a level if possible. Also note the iMac Pro's are a few years old now (the regular iMacs have had a rev since then) so it might be possible to get a revision at some point, which is worth bearing in mind (these are expensive machines).

Darn! I didn't think of the fan being right in front of you. And my projects are indeed CPU hungry (full VSL orchestras, multiple instances of Electri6ity, Kontakt, BFD3 etc.). Right now my old MacPro's are in an isolation box, but that's of course not possible with the iMac. Back to the drawing board :)

It is truly challenging finding the right Mac .... lots to think about

Very true.

It takes time to research the right computer for your needs and with the right price.

You have to consider the peripherals being connected and if you prefer a computer separated from its monitor.

If you like a separate monitor, the Mac Mini is your best starting point.

If it doesn't work you can change it later, but the initial expense is not so high.