10.5.1 is out.

Ashermusic

I remember so clearly a meeting after I had started at Microsoft. We were getting close to releasing one of the Windows operating systems, but I had full access to the bug database and knew how many bugs still existed. I expressed my shock that we would release an OS with so many open bugs. How could we?!?!? I actually thought you didn’t release software until there were zero open bug reports.

After rolling their eyes at how naive I was, they calmly explained that, for various reasons, “perfect” software of this magnitude was pretty much impossible.

It didn’t take long for me to see, first hand, just how complex software development is at that level, and the process involved in deciding when to release something.

I for one am very glad they changed their mind, and I find that it is a much more professional and mature attitude to fully disclose what stability issues and bugs they've fixed and make a list of repairs publicly available.

I am no Apple fanboy, but for this extraordinary service, go Apple. And thank you Jeff Cross for your time and effort compiling those lists. Your work is not going unappreciated.

I love these responses so much. Exactly the type of thing everyone needs to know/be aware of. Screenshotted and bookmarked 8-)

And you still can't name lanes in the sequencer for 3rd party instruments.

and no tools to select some and repeat those.. hits.. I think the sequencer is very .. outdated.. needs a update and a change..

even in the Old step Editor you could do than.. and faster... and Use any midi region.. ..

with the Step sequencer you have to start from Zero.. ?.... what?.... is logic a Midi DAW ? ..

very strange and illogical approach to this unfinished idea.. useless for me.. I prefer the piano roll..

Fruityloops 3 from the year 2000 could do more than the Step Sequecer from logic from 2020.491203751_ScreenShot2020-06-12at9_44_10AM.png.ef6942ef28d990c5eb14f09a6d4d8667.png

And you still can't name lanes in the sequencer for 3rd party instruments.

and no tools to select some and repeat those.. hits.. I think the sequencer is very .. outdated.. needs a update and a change..

even in the Old step Editor you could do than.. and faster... and Use any midi region.. ..

with the Step sequencer you have to start from Zero.. ?.... what?.... is logic a Midi DAW ? ..

very strange and illogical approach to this unfinished idea.. useless for me.. I prefer the piano roll..

Hmm, it sounds like you're expecting this to be another MIDI editor window - it is not.

As the manual begins:

Step Sequencer is inspired by classic hardware step sequencers that have rows of configurable switches or knobs used to generate repeating musical patterns.

If you're interested in step sequencers in the classic sense, it's very cool and I'd suggest playing with the things it *can* do, rather than dwelling too heavily on the things it can't currently do. You can of course leave your feedback here and to Apple if you have suggestions for improvements.

Converting any MIDI region into a working step sequencer pattern I think is not trivial for a few technical reasons. It might come in a future update perhaps, maybe it couldn't get done in time for the big release, but the thing to realise, if you don't, is that the step sequencer is not a MIDI editor, or a drum editor - it is fundamentally a generator and manipulator. FWIW I think it's pretty great, and there's a myriad of things you can do in there that you can't when you have to program every note.

If you're not interested in generative sequencers, then this feature is probably not for you. But don't dismiss it because it isn't the tool you expect it to be.

I'm also not really a step sequencer type person - I like to play in my stuff rather than set things with the mouse etc, but some of the generative, random and independent looping possibilities of it are really cool, imo, and I'm enjoying it a lot.

But no, I didn't convert my 6 minute piano solo into a step sequence pattern. Not yet, anyway...

Edited by des99

All my melda plugins are solid black gui now.

Are they old? Reddit reports V14 of Melda plugins are working in 10.5/Catalina, but V13 are blank.

14.0.2. Maybe latest ver is fixed. Need to try.

nope 14.0.7 still black gui..

Edited by xgman

Hmm, it sounds like you're expecting this to be another MIDI editor window - it is not.

ot yet, anyway...

yes.. I was waiting for this for years.. and it turn out to be .. something else.. well Midi is Midi .. step sequencer should be able do that easily and more...

and with all the features of the step sequencer.. I think Step sequencer is Good.. but it needs just 2 simple things... just 2..

able to convert midi regions specially Drum recorded regions .. with V.Drums.. or any other midi drum controller.. and 2.. just not having to choose and option and to change the velocity.. just drag up and down.. simple.. with those 2.. simple.. updates.. step sequencer is not full..... it lacks of logic... even some PLUGINS have their own step sequencer.. with More logic than this.. and to be able to rename.. the tracks.-- select some repeat.. etc.. not selection tool?.. what?..

that thing about velocity.. is so....... out of time.. and so.. old.. without those.. it is just a Step Midi Effect.. some Third party plugins have better Step sequencers..

but to have it inside of logic natively it's great.. It really needs more work. a lot. Simpler.. and Faster.

There's room for improvements, for sure. But the way you were repeatedly talking ("it's a joke") etc was unnecessarily harsh and dismissive, imo.

Send them feedback, and let's see what happens when we've all had a bit more than a week or two working with it...

I am really pleased that I have recently bought Logic in a fair price and I can tell that Apple is providing support to this product. Releasing an update so soon is indicative of their intentions. Although personally I have not been satisfied because my bug reporting to Apple was not tackled, I really like the fact that they released this update which is about some issues that I have not spotted. Maybe the stability is better because I had some random crashes/frezees with 10.5. Launching 10.5.1 was really fast on my system. Maybe a second or less slower due to the au plugin check.

On the other hand I was really disappointed that they did not fix the midi input of drum machine designer and neither did they got back at me to let me know if this is something that can get fixed. I hope they will try to address it.

Anyway I am really happy with this update!

When you report bugs, don't expect a long dialog with a developer over the issue the next day. Reports get fed into a massive system, sorted through by product guys, weighed and prioritised, and priorities are changing all the time.

You can't expect to submit a bug and get it addressed, fixed and out in a few weeks - especially when there's already thousands of bug reports in the queue in front of you, unless it's some major showstopper - and if it is it's probably already been reported and fixed and in the pipeline for release.

It's basically "report, and hope", is realistically all you can do. Do not be disappointed with this. :)

Hopefully it'll fix the weirdness that is the playhead sticking and refusing to move randomly. Pressing the space bar to try and shift it just makes the playhead jump backwards a few divisions. It's doing my head in.

That aside, it's an amazing upgrade.

UPDATE: Wooooooohoooooo!! The playhead sticking after playing one beat was a known bug and it's gone.... (*bandages head, wipes blood off wall)

yeap same here... not fixed

This is still occurring in 10.5.1 ?

This was the main thing made me go back to 4.8 - literally a show stopper.

Anybody else still see this happening?

When you report bugs, don't expect a long dialog with a developer over the issue the next day. Reports get fed into a massive system, sorted through by product guys, weighed and prioritised, and priorities are changing all the time.

You can't expect to submit a bug and get it addressed, fixed and out in a few weeks - especially when there's already thousands of bug reports in the queue in front of you, unless it's some major showstopper - and if it is it's probably already been reported and fixed and in the pipeline for release.

It's basically "report, and hope", is realistically all you can do. Do not be disappointed with this. :)

I can understand very well why and I am not really dissapointed, a better word would frustrated/pissed. However I wouldn't like to be negative in a post talking about Apple's commitment to a product. I can understand that Logic is a complex beast and there are probably hundreds of bug reporting/feature requests. I just think that for the new exciting DMD approach it is unacceptable (not LOGIC) not to be able to to handle properly DMD from an external midi sequencer. I guess other users might have similar views on other issues.

Although I know for sure that this would never really happen from a company like Apple, an explanation or even an automated answer from Apple saying that they will investigate would have kept me satisfied.

However as I said in my previous post I am satisfied from the commitment that Apple shows towards Logic.

Well all have our pet bugs and frustrations - the problem is, pick 100 Logic users and ask them and they will be 100 different things!

Apple does things they way they do things, there's not much that can be done to change that, I'm afraid. Your bug is submitted, it will be investigated, but they're not going to go out of the way to keep you informed. They will only really contact you if they need more information to help them investigate. However, I know for a fact that they are indeed grateful for bug submissions, and they do help make Logic better.

How long does this first launch take? I read the whole thread, put my daughter to bed and it is still scanning? 15 minutes and counting? No proper progress indication? Come on, Apple, that is dumb.

com.apple.audio.infohelper @ 71% CPU for ages. A bit of multthreading would help here... 1 core/thread is busy, the other 15 are basically doing nothing.

How long does this first launch take? I read the whole thread, put my daughter to bed and it is still scanning? 15 minutes and counting? No proper progress indication? Come on, Apple, that is dumb.

com.apple.audio.infohelper @ 71% CPU for ages. A bit of multthreading would help here... 1 core/thread is busy, the other 15 are basically doing nothing.

See this post here. The first launch seems to be the issue, subsequent launches seem to take the normal amount of time.

Alan

the scan process will get stuck on some plug ins. Independence, in my case. Took it out, the scan runs through and now I'm back to my normal 2 seconds to open Logic.

Don't waste your time waiting for more than 5 minutes if you have a fast Mac.

I have over 600 plug ins, I just checked. Booting Logic takes a little over 1 second.

I'm not talking about normal booting, I'm talking about a full plugin scan, the thing that 10.5.1 does on the first launch, which is what we are talking about here.

But if you can boot Logic in a second, then yes, you have a much faster machine that me... :shock:

I don't know why the plugin scan progress indicator doesn't show though, which would be helpful to show people what was going on...

When I removed the offending plug in, I saw no discernible difference from a normal boot. Maybe the rest had already been scanned?

I think a separate program called auval used to be invoked for scanning in Logic, it would run on several threads and warn you of problems most of the time. That's why I said regression.

[list=]

When I removed the offending plug in, I saw no discernible difference from a normal boot. Maybe the rest had already been scanned?

I think a separate program called auval used to be invoked for scanning in Logic, it would run on several threads and warn you of problems most of the time. That's why I said regression.

Mine just finished booting up. Took at least 30 minutes. I also have a ton of plugins and had to click a few dialog boxes. 2nd boot took around 20 seconds (2010 mac pro/ssd).

David has a great point there, was thinking very similarly this morning when testing the update, the bugs that remain and bother me a bit are possible to work around here, so I''m very impressed overall and will use this amazing 10.5.1 version happily. As a developer I'm even more impressed by the number of bugs they fixed in such a short time...