How to play all cells/scenes from start to end

kingminotaur

I'm missing something here, I want to play through all the scenes starting from the first one on left in order to the last one on right.

Without cueing each scene successively as they all play.

even though I select the scene numbers, when scene one's cell completes it loops rather than going on to next.

Sorry if it's been addressed, it seems so simple.

1554615532_ScreenShot2020-06-12at7_08_04PM.thumb.png.53d721bc5b1c5f55975599ae1f038256.png

Thanks for explaining. I'm have no familiarity with competitor looping DAWs so maybe I still don't understand.

It seems to me the next step in ease of modularity after the Arrangement feature in 10.4 would be use of live loops to play scenes and groups of scenes flexibly , sometimes one at at time,or like a verse and a chorus together repeated for a few cycles, then tried with a third pre-chorus scene in between.

I made the attached feature request (error I meant 1+ 2+ 3 in title) because I think a lot of songwriters would prefer this approach to using the Arrangement approach in the Tracks window-- because arrangement has pitfalls IIUC like if one track is locked in the arrangement option-dragging to copy a verse won't work. The full modularity of the cells in live loops would make juggling arrangements much faster if one could play along/through groups of sections without interruption, perhaps by pre-selecting the [adjacent] scenes to be played.

1862360164_ScreenShot2020-06-12at7_34_05PM.png.1ad64a87e8e6ab5aaf8aded004c7c199.png

It's not that you don't understand, it just means the feature you want doesn't exist in Logic. It would be an interesting feature though, many users have requested it over the year, like a playlist of scenes where you could list something like this:

Scene 1

Scene 2

Scene 2

Scene 1

Scene 3

Scene 1

Why not. I like the idea. It just isn't there... (yet).

Hopefully the geniuses that programmed Live Loops will grasp the utility for a songwriter.

To be able to juggle section order easily, and then listen to a partial assembly (I'm thinking 2-5 scene groups, even having to have them in order would he adequate) without fooling around with watching loop indicators would be a huge help.

1) It's way easier to record and test section meshing in Live Loops , for, say, the verse guitar-- and test its looping correctness between its end and the beginnings of possible follower sections like the pre-chorus and chorus in live loops than to do it in the Tracks window because moving chunks around with Arrange is much more error prone once you have more than 3-4 tracks.

2)For hybrid live musician/ tracked "backing" performance; It would be better to have the thing I'm asking for-- "clusters" for want of a better word--a checked group of maybe 2-5 Scenes-- where a soloist could solo with indeterminate duration/repeats over the cluster until band moved on / footswitched onward to the section after the solo.

3) Working in Live Loops has an advantage in optimal modularity, as far as avoiding unforced errors like when someone accidentally shortens a Region in tracks area. , the cells provide some insulation against mouse clumsiness.

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I stumbled upon this thread looking for this exact feature. Ableton Live has had it for years as Clip "Follow-Actions" and I'm loving learning Logic, but this is a massive shortcoming with large arrangement sets.

For example, load the Boom Bap Masher Project from the Starter Grid section of the New File dialogue and count how many different clips there are. Ten tracks by 20 clips each is 200 different loops, but what good is playing them if you have to constantly sit there clicking to keep the flow moving? There's no time to tweak knobs mapped to a controller or possibly explore more esoteric settings in an instrument if you wanted to use Logic to perform with, which if I'm not mistaken, isn't that the point of the Live Loop workflow?

So instead, imagine if every individual loop could be set to either move to the next clip (right), move to the previous clip (left), or move to any clip on that track randomly. Suddenly, this Boom Bap Masher template becomes a generative dynamic music machine that has 10 ^ 20 (100,000,000,000,000,000,000) different possible combinations of potential sound output that you could just let play while you do housework... That's arguably days of non-repetitious listening from a tiny feature add with zero human input, further empowering an artist to focus on creating more aural complexity.

I get the point about the paradigm, but it's so limiting and to not see the potential is a shame.

• Like 1

Cheers Kingminotaur. This has been functionality in Live since at least version 7.

It seems idiot simple desirable to me as well, even for someone not working with the filters and MIDI controlling layers described---

As an idiot simple songwriter, it would be SO useful to me to move a bridge back and forth , to determine "After second chorus or third?" by just dragging a column.

This CAN be done in tracks area but once you have a track locked ( I have been close to ruining tracks with 100s of hours in by NOT locking tracks) Arrangement section drags don't work any more AFAIK.

Since apple has all the money in the whole world I think they'll probably do it, and I bet some of the genius programmers use the program as well and can see the benefit.

• 1 year later...