Logic Balance Level Mystery

ew1

I got a minute and a half into the video and still had no idea of your problem, other than you saying if you pan (balance) a stereo signal fully right, you were annoyed you could only hear it in the right channel...

It's best for everybody if you could just clearly and succinctly describe your problem in words, without requiring people to go a watch a video. Video can be useful supporting evidence, but please describe your problem in words, so people with similar problems can search and find it, and we can more helpfully respond...

Thanks!

I started watching this video and honestly it's excruciating for me. During the first 35 seconds I've learned exactly nothing at all about what you're trying to do or what your issue is. I generally open a thread on this forum and quickly scan through the text and within only seconds I can tell what the issue is and start formulating a quick answer or ask for details if I need them.

This only goes to show why I cannot stand the video as a medium for users explaining their issues on this forum. Other reasons for using text and not videos are listed there: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=148520&p=777878#p777878

I appreciate that in some cases video might be the better medium and I was willing to give it a chance here (I generally don't even bother answer video questions) but truly it doesn't seem like this is the case here. If you want our help, please take the time to formulate your question by text.

I know you've been around this board for a while so it's certainly not my intention to alienate you, so I hope you understand. Thanks!

Judging what you did and how based on a 1 sec snippet of a mono smartphone recording showing only 15% of what's actually necessary is tough, but hey, challenge accepted.

There's a couple things going on, let's weed out this before we get to a better solution.

1. You route your stereo track to the Stereo Out and to a mono bus at the same time. If you pan the track (which is in fact actually just balancing LR) you will hear the left side through the Stereo Out coming out the left speaker plus the left side through the bus coming out both speakers. This results in the left channel panned halfway left. Don't use a Send for that, route the output to that mono bus instead.

2. Since we didn't get a chance to actually listen to your source in stereo or view the actual waveform, all we can do is guess and this frame shows that your peaks in fact are substantially louder on the left side:

691942950_Bildschirmfoto2020-06-22um15_41_55.png.851e36089e3be55b57b29a6eea5de010.png

So yeah, your source is louder on the left.

In the future, if you want to listen to a single side of a stereo Region, do a long click on the channel's mono/stereo selector and choose Left.

And - oh yeah, drop it with the videos, it doesn't help...

Wow!

Every other thread I've started on this forum (of which there have been quite a few) has featured an issue that I have carefully taken time (an hour or more in some cases) to put into words in the most clear and concise way I possibly could, doing my best to be unambiguous because I don't want anyone to waste unnecessary time trying to understand what I'm trying describe.

In many of those cases, my opening post has lead to members asking more questions due to them being confused about what I wrote or how I've worded a particular sentence. Along with the helpful responses, I've received plenty responses along the lines of "what are you actually trying to do here?", "too long, didn't read", "you haven't made yourself clear" and "you need to show your screen" etc.

For a change I decided to cut out the communication issues that written text can result in and actually speak and film my screen thinking that this would maybe save you all the trouble of having read a s#!+ load of text and figure out what I was actually trying to describe.

Furthermore, if you didn't at least watch the whole video, don't get angry at the fact that it's not in the format you consider appropriate for this forum. Maybe videos are frowned upon, but if you listen to what I'm saying the issue is pretty clearly explained. I

I made a video because I thought it would help and make things easier for you! I was trying to be conscientious, as I always do.

I made a video because I thought it would help and make things easier for you! I was trying to be conscientious, as I always do.

That's really nice of you, and I appreciate it. However, that's not working for our forum, and I've explained why. No big deal. Can you understand the points I've made in the link I shared, which explain why it's not working for this forum? Here's the perfect example of something that wouldn't be possible if we used video instead of text: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40235&p=784552#p784552

I'm more concerned with figuring out WHY this problem is occuring becuse I want to make my undrstanding of Logic isn't flawed.

Your Stereo Out is slamming hot, hence you cannot see that your left side is louder than the right, which has been pointed out already.

It's definitely not Logic's fault.

That's really nice of you, and I appreciate it. However, that's not working for our forum, and I've explained why. No big deal. Can you understand the points I've made in the link I shared, which explain why it's not working for this forum? Here's the perfect example of something that wouldn't be possible if we used video instead of text: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40235&p=784552#p784552

Yes I can and I won't post a video again. Thank you.

BTW ew1 maybe it's unfair that I criticized your video only because I am personally getting frustrated at many of the videos I'm seeing and at the video medium in the way it's used nowadays, and because for the reasons I linked to, it's not the medium I want people to use on this forum. For that, please accept my apologies.

BTW ew1 maybe it's unfair that I criticized your video only because I am personally getting frustrated at many of the videos I'm seeing and at the video medium in the way it's used nowadays, and because for the reasons I linked to, it's not the medium I want people to use on this forum. For that, please accept my apologies.

That's ok David. I'm not mad. I understand. Also, please understand that I in no way take this forum (a free resource with a wealth of information) for granted. It doesn't have to be free but it is and I take that into account whenever I post. There have been quite a few times that I have posted just to say how much I have learned and to express gratitude.

Edited by ew1

I'm more concerned with figuring out WHY this problem is occuring becuse I want to make my undrstanding of Logic isn't flawed.

Your Stereo Out is slamming hot, hence you cannot see that your left side is louder than the right, which has been pointed out already.

It's definitely not Logic's fault.

Actually that's not the case. I've examined the levels of both sides of the source matrial and they are equal.

When the hard-left-balanced signal is sent from the source material stereo track to the mono aux track, the level that the aux track detects is louder than when the hard-right-balanced signal is sent from the source material stereo track to the mono aux track. However, the left and right sides of the source audio are equal.

Also, the Stereo Out is in fact not receiving audio from both the source material stereo track and the aux track at the same time. The Stereo Out is only receiving audio from the aux track. I know this because I have the aux track soloed and when I mute the aux track, the Stereo Out receives no audio. This means the Stereo Out is not receiving audio from the source material stereo track when I have the aux track soloed.

EW1,

I would suggest using BX_Solo (Free Utility at Plugin Alliance) to accomplish what you wish to do, i.e. hearing L, R, Mid or Side in your headphones, in Mono. Very simple and straight-forward, click what you want to hear and there it is.

If you want to accomplish the same thing in Logic, go to the Mono Bus your are sending your main audio track to, and hover over the Mono Icon, under that you will see Mono, Stereo, Left, Right, Surround. If you want the levels to match your source track you will need to select either R or L under your Bus depending on which side you want to hear. If you are just panning Left and Right on your main audio track I think your Pan Laws are where you are seeing the difference in volumes. Either of the above solutions should give you what you are looking for. Hope this helps.

Regards

Regards

EW1,

I would suggest using BX_Solo (Free Utility at Plugin Alliance) to accomplish what you wish to do, i.e. hearing L, R, Mid or Side in your headphones, in Mono. Very simple and straight-forward, click what you want to hear and there it is.

If you want to accomplish the same thing in Logic, go to the Mono Bus your are sending your main audio track to, and hover over the Mono Icon, under that you will see Mono, Stereo, Left, Right, Surround. If you want the levels to match your source track you will need to select either R or L under your Bus depending on which side you want to hear. If you are just panning Left and Right on your main audio track I think your Pan Laws are where you are seeing the difference in volumes. Either of the above solutions should give you what you are looking for. Hope this helps.

Regards

Regards

Thanks for the response Mark.