A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

Atlas007

Re: Plugin thumbnail feature?

Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:33 pm

Danny Wyatt wrote:
Open the “Echo” plugin. At 100% you won’t see the Copy and Paste buttons.
I mean, why we need a huge on/off button? Are we all blind?
Why do we need a button that says “compare”? And others that say undo, redo, copy, paste?
Don’t we all use icons anymore? That’s a huge amount of space.
AFAIAC, Undo/Redo/Copy/Paste are basic key-commands every users should know as it is used in pretty much every software.Their presence on the GUI is a simple courtesy. If one wish to save space at all cost, there is a (dark rectangular) switch to hide that space at the top right of the GUI.

Danny Wyatt wrote:
Regarding “my” idea, it’s not just for the stock plugins. Any plugin would work. So basically a button would automatically scale any plying to 20%. The idea here is my to make it “workable”. Just a thumbnail. And then clicking it would bring it back to whatever zoom value they had before.

I also believe this would be a super simple feature to implement.
Well, perhaps not so easily then if that involve 3rd party plugins as well...
LogicX 10.5.1 ( & 9.1.8),MainStage3.4.4
MBPro 17", Core2Duo, 8G, OSX 10.12.6
MacPro, Xeon 6Cores, 64GB, OSX 10.15.5
ULN8, MOTU MIDI TP-AV, C4, MCU Pro, KorgNano, Novation SLMkII
AAS, NI, Celemony, Spectrasonics, Korg, etc...
PC, iPad3(V-Control & LogicRemote), AtariST(Notator SL), Several vintage gear

Danny Wyatt
Topic Author

Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:07 pm

Atlas007 wrote:
Danny Wyatt wrote:
Open the “Echo” plugin. At 100% you won’t see the Copy and Paste buttons.
I mean, why we need a huge on/off button? Are we all blind?
Why do we need a button that says “compare”? And others that say undo, redo, copy, paste?
Don’t we all use icons anymore? That’s a huge amount of space.
AFAIAC, Undo/Redo/Copy/Paste are basic key-commands every users should know as it is used in pretty much every software.Their presence on the GUI is a simple courtesy. If one wish to save space at all cost, there is a (dark rectangular) switch to hide that space at the top right of the GUI.

Danny Wyatt wrote:
Regarding “my” idea, it’s not just for the stock plugins. Any plugin would work. So basically a button would automatically scale any plying to 20%. The idea here is my to make it “workable”. Just a thumbnail. And then clicking it would bring it back to whatever zoom value they had before.

Well, perhaps not so easily then if that involve 3rd party plugins as well...

When you create a product or service, you should never assume that the users will know this or that. That's actually the first thing that makes some companies or products fail. You should actually assume they know nothing and if you do that, then you will be able to create something that suits the majority of users.

Now, here's the problem with what you just said: open the Echo plugin. If you have the feature activated to include the plugin undo steps, try to move a knob and then use the shortcut to undo. In my case, the plugin is gone, yet clicking the Undo button, actually goes back to the previous state. So assuming that the user knows the shortcut and will use it as it's supposed to, means nothing here...

Another thing: if it's a "courtesy" as you said and they assume we all know the shortcuts (which to be honest I didn't even know that copy/paste was possible via shortcuts on the plugin window and I've been using it since 2007, so thanks for that, actually), then using icons would be the same and it would take only 30% of the space, right?

Also: what is the shortcut to the "Compare" button? I don't think there is, so why would you have shortcuts to some buttons there and not for others?

You mention the dark rectangle. To me, that's another useless feature, because if the space was used to have smaller buttons and all of them worked, why would we need to hide that space? I've never used it and never will. It makes no sense to me. One way or another, I will always have to open it to search for the next preset, to use the compare or even use the ON/OFF button (which also doesn't have a shortcut, I believe...).

This all could be solved by having smaller buttons. I actually posted about it a long time ago:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=138435&p=710478&hilit=copy+paste+buttons#p710478

Wouldn't this be way more clean and visually easier to work with? And you could still have the shortcuts (as long as they would work... apparently the undo doesn't and if we could have the shortcuts for Compare and for the ON/OFF).

Regarding the feature with the 3rd party plugins, it would "simply" involve taking a screenshot of the plugin window, resizing it to a pre-determined size (let's say 150px by 100px), store it in the project's folder (maybe a "Thumbnails" folder) and that's it. Any developer would be able to code this easily
• Logic Pro X 10.4.6 • M-Audio Fast Track Pro 4x4
• MacBook Pro mid 2010 • macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 • 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 • 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

-----------------------------------------
Danny Wyatt (formerly known as 3ple) - Musician and Music Producer
http://www.iamdannywyatt.com (links to all my social media included)

Danny Wyatt
Topic Author

Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:10 pm

Look at this shortcut "working" as expected... NOT lol

Kapture 2020-07-02 at 7.09.01.gif
Kapture 2020-07-02 at 7.09.01.gif (475.71 KiB) Viewed 121 times
• Logic Pro X 10.4.6 • M-Audio Fast Track Pro 4x4
• MacBook Pro mid 2010 • macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 • 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 • 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

-----------------------------------------
Danny Wyatt (formerly known as 3ple) - Musician and Music Producer
http://www.iamdannywyatt.com (links to all my social media included)

Atlas007

Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:34 pm

Danny Wyatt wrote:
Look at this shortcut "working" as expected... NOT lol

Kapture 2020-07-02 at 7.09.01.gif

That problem isn't present in LPX 10.5.1...
BTW, did you check in your undo history if the plugin undo is enabled?
LogicX 10.5.1 ( & 9.1.8),MainStage3.4.4
MBPro 17", Core2Duo, 8G, OSX 10.12.6
MacPro, Xeon 6Cores, 64GB, OSX 10.15.5
ULN8, MOTU MIDI TP-AV, C4, MCU Pro, KorgNano, Novation SLMkII
AAS, NI, Celemony, Spectrasonics, Korg, etc...
PC, iPad3(V-Control & LogicRemote), AtariST(Notator SL), Several vintage gear

TripleYoThreat

Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:40 pm

Danny Wyatt wrote:

It would for the stock plugins but many 3rd party plugins cannot be resized, Waves for example. They aren't vector graphics like stock plugins so it would be an issue for them to implement. Not sure if Pro Tools or Cubase allows resizing of them, though that thumbnail feature is probably implemented from within Cubase. In which case, hm, it could be done. Just force it to 20% view, regardless of vector or proper scaling.
• Logic Pro X 10.4.0 • High Sierra 10.13.6 • Scarlett 2i2 Gen1 • Blue Baby Bottle Microphone
• i5-4690K & 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz • Z97 Gaming 7 • 8TB HDD Space (~2tb for recordings! hahaha)

I guess everyone uses these sigs to unintentionally brag lol