Weird! X 1 0 0 Midi in/out flashing?

briansin

Hi all,

I have been using Logic with my Komplete M32 for a few weeks now. Tonight, it just happened that when I monitor the midi in / midi out part of the LCD, it keeps flashing X 1 0 0 for both midi in and midi out. This ONLY happens when I have a komplete kontrol plugin loaded (doesn't happen with Alchemy or whatever loaded). Also, it has to be in plugin mode on the KK (controlling Logic in Track mode works just fine). Also, if i record anything on this track, i get Sysex Mackie Designs events in the Event list.

I've been using this KK keyboard for a while with Logic on this mac, and have never seen this. It literally just started happening overnight. Anyone have any thoughts they could share?

Thanks

Yes, but this doesn't list any resolution. Even if I filter out the System messages from the input filters, it still records it for automation and still flashes X 1 0 0 on the Midi in / midi out part. Is there a fix for that part?

Thanks

rAC: yes, but NI is not very prompt on answering these days, i've found this forum to be much more knowledgable and informative.

David: indeed, the KK keyboards have 3 modes: midi (fine), daw control (also fine), and direct control of the Komplete Kontrol software (either standalone or as a plugin in a DAW). And yes, it's only sending these Mackie messages when it's in the mode meant to control KK (not seeing these in midi or logic control mode). But the question is why did it just start? i've been recording using KK plugins in logic for a while now, and have never seen these system messages pop up. Now, they pop up every second when i'm controlling KK within logic.

I can filter out the system messages in the midi project settings, but I still see the X 1 0 0 constantly flashing in the LCD. Any thoughts on why it would just have started happening or what I can possibly do? Why is logic seeing these messages from the KK when it's meant for the KK software? Any reason you can think of on why it woudl just have started?

Thanks

• 2 years later...

I bought an M32 recently and have also just upgraded to a new M1 MacBook Pro, and just recorded some MIDI and noticed these "X" marks in my regions, and "Mackie Designs" SysEx messages (I'll attach a screenshot of one bar of 4 notes recorded on the beat).  There's not many Google search results for this issue - if I do a search for  'M32 Logic Pro SysEx "Mackie Designs"'  then I only get three relevant and one irrelevant result - which says to me this is a rare issue.  I've been using a Komplete Kontrol S61 for a few years now on my two previous Macs and never saw this issue.

@briansin did you ever find a resolution to this issue?  I doubt it's a bug, since two years have passed since your post, if it was a bug I'd have expected NI to resolve it by now, and I'd expect to see way more hits on a Google search.  And it's interesting that I'm seeing this issue on a fresh MacOS/Logic/Komplete/NI install - everything was downloaded & set up from scratch, no use of Migration Assistant from the old Mac, the only data copied across was my Logic projects.

I guess it's not causing an actual issue?

@David Nahmani is it safe to filter out these events via Project Settings > MIDI > Input Filter > SysEx?  Or will that actually prevent the SysEx messages communicating with the Komplete Kontrol plugin?  I guess what I'm after is a way to allow them to be received by Logic but not recorded into the region.  But if this is a harmless thing that just looks weird ("X" marks in the region) and clutters up the event list, then I guess it's not functionally (or musically) detrimental?

image.png.92b86086ee008e26657e173604e9e069.png

6 hours ago, smashingly said:

@David Nahmani is it safe to filter out these events via Project Settings > MIDI > Input Filter > SysEx?  Or will that actually prevent the SysEx messages communicating with the Komplete Kontrol plugin?

If you filter out the events with a MIDI Input filter then the events will not be communicated to the plug-in. The question is, does the plug-in need to receive those events? They look like Mackie Control events, are you using the Komplete Kontrol as a control surface? 

2 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

If you filter out the events with a MIDI Input filter then the events will not be communicated to the plug-in. The question is, does the plug-in need to receive those events? They look like Mackie Control events, are you using the Komplete Kontrol as a control surface? 

@David Nahmani All I did was record some notes using the keyboard keys, I didn't touch any of the other controls.  But yes the M32 is probably configured as a control surface - I didn't configure anything explicitly though, all I did was install all the NI software, plug in the keyboard then fire up Logic, and Logic popped up a dialog box, I think it was a control surface configuration dialog.

I just noticed after changing my Control Bar display to include MIDI In/Out data, that this SysEx is appearing every 1.5-2.0 seconds, even when nothing is playing - playhead stopped, no keys being pressed, nothing happening.  See attached screen recording.

@briansin I will open a case with NI and see what they say, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up - they must have a constraint on tech staff, judging by how long it's been since the M1 was released, yet all of their products bar one are still Rosetta-only.

45 minutes ago, smashingly said:

All I did was record some notes using the keyboard keys, I didn't touch any of the other controls.  But yes the M32 is probably configured as a control surface - I didn't configure anything explicitly though, all I did was install all the NI software, plug in the keyboard then fire up Logic, and Logic popped up a dialog box, I think it was a control surface configuration dialog.

I just noticed after changing my Control Bar display to include MIDI In/Out data, that this SysEx is appearing every 1.5-2.0 seconds, even when nothing is playing - playhead stopped, no keys being pressed, nothing happening.  See attached screen recording.

It's possible for a MIDI device to send data even if you don't touch any of the controls. The data can be handhsake data, dump data, clock data, sync data, etc. Do you remember what the Logic dialog stated and what your choice was? You basically have two ways to deal with this situation: 

1. Figure out how to set up the keyboard in a mode where it's not acting as a control surface and thus not sending these messages. 
  2. Figure out how to set up the keyboard as a control surface in Logic Pro. 

Both solutions should be somewhere in the M32 manual (see 4.3.1. Setting up Apple Logic Pro X and GarageBand - page 13).

If you've dismissed that dialog in Logic Pro and want to reset it, choose Logic Pro > Preferences > General, click the Notifications button and reset that warning. 

You can also double-check the status of your control surface in Logic Pro > Preferences > Control Surfaces and in Logic Pro > Control Surfaces > Setup. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/10/2022 at 7:46 PM, smashingly said:

@David Nahmani All I did was record some notes using the keyboard keys, I didn't touch any of the other controls.  But yes the M32 is probably configured as a control surface - I didn't configure anything explicitly though, all I did was install all the NI software, plug in the keyboard then fire up Logic, and Logic popped up a dialog box, I think it was a control surface configuration dialog.

@briansin I will open a case with NI and see what they say, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up - they must have a constraint on tech staff, judging by how long it's been since the M1 was released, yet all of their products bar one are still Rosetta-only.

Screen Recording 2022-07-10 at 10.43.19 PM.mov

Hi there! 

I also have experienced this, and it is very frustrating. Luckily, I have the solution!

In your Logic preferences, open the midi subfolder. In your midi preferences, open the input folder.

Here you will see checkboxes that enable different midi inputs. Make sure that the EXACT name of your keyboard is checked (Mine is the Komplete Kontrol A49)

Then, make sure that the 'Komplete Kontrol DAW' is NOT checked. This should end the constant messages!

Edited by Zotoro
  • Like 1