Bought 2015 MB Pro 2.8ghz. Love it but MIDI not working properly.

Christopher11

Hello friends and Logic pros. I am so pleased to have migrated to a more powerful and lighter machine: from my 2012 MB Pro I migrated to a 2015 MB Pro 15 2.8ghz, with 16 GB of RAM and a 2 TB SSD installed. It came with Mojave OS. Logic opened and plays fine; works perfectly with a FW to Thunderbolt adapter for my RME 802. My issue is MIDI. At first it wouldn't see my Korg M3 at all, nor my M Audio. I added each of these in the AUDIO MIDI SETUP utility; now Logic responds to them, but the MIDI does not work right. It drops multiple notes and gets stuck up on some, holding them longer.

Any advice greatly appreciated, thank you.

I didn't yet, it's still 10.2.6. I was looking forward to that, and the new features, but I'm only into my first day on this new machine. After migrating all my apps and profile, I wanted to make sure everything worked. Do you think that's the issue, and doing so will fix this MIDI problem?

No, that's not the issue. You can use Snoize MIDI Monitor to see what's going on as far as your Mac receiving MIDI from your keyboard.

Having said that if I were you I'd upgrade your Mac to the latest MacOS version it can support and the latest Logic Pro X version that can support before doing anything else. Unless you have a very specific reason to not do so obviously (like for example a driver for an external device that isn't compatible with that MacOS version).

This program works great. Thank you. MIDI Monitor seems to be seeing all of my MIDI actions, including after touch and mod wheel, etc. I can't tell if it's skipping notes or responding the way Logic did, because there's no sound module, but it looks tight.

Several programs have suggested I delete old 32 bit MIDi drivers, and I just did. I wonder if that could resolve this issue in Logic?

I've had nothing but trouble with recent Korg midi drivers. Did you install any midi drivers for your M3? Korg has a proper uninstaller that you could use to test. could help you troubleshoot your issue.

Blink

That's a great idea. I will try to find that, uninstall and start fresh.

I've had nothing but trouble with recent Korg midi drivers. Did you install any midi drivers for your M3? Korg has a proper uninstaller that you could use to test. could help you troubleshoot your issue.

Blink

Hey blinkofani, I uninstalled Korg USB-MIDI drivers. Then I downloaded and am about to install KORG USB-MIDI Driver V1.2.5. Is that correct? Thanks for any reply.

Blink

Hey blinkofani, I uninstalled Korg USB-MIDI drivers. Then I downloaded and am about to install KORG USB-MIDI Driver V1.2.5. Is that correct? Thanks for any reply.

I used my older MB Pro to update to Logic Pro X 10.4.1. I transferred to this machine, and I really like it. It's fast, and everything works perfectly except the MIDI. It still tracks extremely slowly, like it can't keep up, so notes are too long, and it misses most of them. I can't work if I can't play parts with my controllers.

I quit Logic and opened Reason 10, and it seemed to work perfectly well. It's fast, very little latency, and tracks all my MIDI events. No problem. MIDI Monitor sees everything, including after touch from my Korg M3, and seems to be tracking everything as well.

Then, i got the idea to open Garage Band, and it works perfectly! It even tracks my mod wheel and after touch. Very nice. Why can't Logic do this? It's almost like Logic is getting confused, or overwhelmed, like there is too much MIDI info. I don't know.

I truly need to get MIDI functionality in LPX. It's where I do all my work. I will install Catalina if you think that might help. But... it's odd that MIDi is working in all other programs. Thank you for any thoughts / suggestions. Is there something i can do in Logic>Preferences>MIDI? Or could it be something in Utilities>Audio MIDI Setup?

Edited by Christopher11

I used my older MB Pro to update to Logic Pro X 10.4.1. I transferred to this machine, and I really like it. It's fast, and everything works perfectly except the MIDI. It still tracks extremely slowly, like it can't keep up, so notes are too long, and it misses most of them. I can't work if I can't play parts with my controllers.

I quit Logic and opened Reason 10, and it seemed to work perfectly well. It's fast, very little latency, and tracks all my MIDI events. No problem. MIDI Monitor sees everything, including after touch from my Korg M3, and seems to be tracking everything as well.

Then, i got the idea to open Garage Band, and it works perfectly! It even tracks my mod wheel and after touch. Very nice. Why can't Logic do this? It's almost like Logic is getting confused, or overwhelmed, like there is too much MIDI info. I don't know.

I truly need to get MIDI functionality in LPX. It's where I do all my work. I will install Catalina if you think that might help. But... it's odd that MIDi is working in all other programs. Thank you for any thoughts / suggestions. Is there something i can do in Logic>Preferences>MIDI? Or could it be something in Utilities>Audio MIDI Setup?

Edited by Christopher11

Blink

Don’t reinstall any Korg drivers and check if you still have MIDI problems. If not, you found the culprit. If you still have problems, the Korg stuff is not the problem... but I’d still try to find other ways to get MIDI from your M3 to the computer, midi interface whatever...

Blink

Blink

Don’t reinstall any Korg drivers and check if you still have MIDI problems. If not, you found the culprit. If you still have problems, the Korg stuff is not the problem... but I’d still try to find other ways to get MIDI from your M3 to the computer, midi interface whatever...

Blink

I do hope to hear from you guys on this one. It's still happening. Thank you so much for any replies.

I do hope to hear from you guys on this one. It's still happening. Thank you so much for any replies.

As a troubleshooting step, does it work if you go Logic Pro X > Control Surfaces > Bypass All Control Surfaces ?

You know what? That made a huge difference! It is not perfect, but much better, and able to track notes, and sees my mod wheel and after touch as well! Which it hasn't been for months, even with El capitan.

What did that do Jakob? and also, thank you!

Is it because Logic was getting confused with too much information or 'doubled' or some kind of MIDi feedback loop? that's what it seemed like. It was a lot like those old systems where you run out of polyphony, and the MIDI tracking and the instrument can't keep up with you.

I guess I will leave that bypassed. Thanks man. Please feel free to share any thoughts on why this worked, so I can better understand it.

As a troubleshooting step, does it work if you go Logic Pro X > Control Surfaces > Bypass All Control Surfaces ?

You know what? That made a huge difference! It is not perfect, but much better, and able to track notes, and sees my mod wheel and after touch as well! Which it hasn't been for months, even with El capitan.

What did that do Jakob? and also, thank you!

Is it because Logic was getting confused with too much information or 'doubled' or some kind of MIDi feedback loop? that's what it seemed like. It was a lot like those old systems where you run out of polyphony, and the MIDI tracking and the instrument can't keep up with you.

I guess I will leave that bypassed. Thanks man. Please feel free to share any thoughts on why this worked, so I can better understand it.

Clearly you are right, since disabling as Jakob suggested worked. It also caused my Korg M3 to now work properly as a controller in Logic, or I should say, Logic to respond properly to it. Because it was down to just notes and pitch bend; Logic would not respond to mod wheel or aftertouch. I wonder if it was getting some kind of loop or multiple messages.

Also, not complaining I'm just curious, why did disabling control surfaces work? Wouldn't that mean Logic wouldn't see any MIDI controller input?