basic concept help

MAmeza7
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hello,

I am struggling understanding basic concepts- panning, in relation to the following terms: mono and stereo tracks, and channels, in relation to stereo and mono tracks. I was curious if someone could point me in the right direction of where I could learn these basic concepts? It seems the material I have been using to learn mixing, mastering, and production have not really explained these terms at a basic level. Thanks for the help.

Hello,

I am struggling understanding basic concepts- panning, in relation to the following terms: mono and stereo tracks, and channels, in relation to stereo and mono tracks. I was curious if someone could point me in the right direction of where I could learn these basic concepts? It seems the material I have been using to learn mixing, mastering, and production have not really explained these terms at a basic level. Thanks for the help.

• Solution

• You record mono sources onto mono tracks: a single mic, as in a vocal for example, or a single instrument, as in an electric guitar plugged directly into an instrument input your audio interface. That creates a mono audio file (one single audio channel), routed to a mono channel strip.

On a mono channel strip, when the Pan knob is in the center, the single audio channel is routed in equal levels to both the left and right speaker so that you perceived the sound in the center of the two speakers. Drag the pan knob to the left and the amount of signal routed to the right speaker is decreased so that you perceive the sound coming from the left of the stereo field.

• You record stereo sources onto stereo tracks: two mics, as in the two overhead mics used to capture the cymbals of a drumkit, or the two mics recording a stereo image of a grand piano, or the stereo output of a stereo synthesizer connected to two instrument inputs on your audio interface. That creates a stereo audio file (two channels: left and right), routed to a stereo channel strip.

On a stereo channel strip, the left channel is routed to the left speaker and the right channel to the right speaker. When the Pan knob (which is truly a "Balance" knob) is centered, both left and right channels have no gain applied. Drag the Pan knob to the left and you're lowering the volume of the right channel to skew the balance of the stereo signal toward the left.

If you control-click the Balance knob and choose Stereo Pan you can then pan the left and the right channel individually in the stereo field.

Does that answer your question?

• You record mono sources onto mono tracks: a single mic, as in a vocal for example, or a single instrument, as in an electric guitar plugged directly into an instrument input your audio interface. That creates a mono audio file (one single audio channel), routed to a mono channel strip.

On a mono channel strip, when the Pan knob is in the center, the single audio channel is routed in equal levels to both the left and right speaker so that you perceived the sound in the center of the two speakers. Drag the pan knob to the left and the amount of signal routed to the right speaker is decreased so that you perceive the sound coming from the left of the stereo field.

• You record stereo sources onto stereo tracks: two mics, as in the two overhead mics used to capture the cymbals of a drumkit, or the two mics recording a stereo image of a grand piano, or the stereo output of a stereo synthesizer connected to two instrument inputs on your audio interface. That creates a stereo audio file (two channels: left and right), routed to a stereo channel strip.

On a stereo channel strip, the left channel is routed to the left speaker and the right channel to the right speaker. When the Pan knob (which is truly a "Balance" knob) is centered, both left and right channels have no gain applied. Drag the Pan knob to the left and you're lowering the volume of the right channel to skew the balance of the stereo signal toward the left.

If you control-click the Balance knob and choose Stereo Pan you can then pan the left and the right channel individually in the stereo field.

Does that answer your question?

Yes I have gone through the book and it's amazing! Looks like I need to review these concepts, but I am having trouble finding these concepts in the book. I was curious if you could tell me what pages they are covered? quote="David Nahmani"]

Have you invested in David Nahami’s book? It has lots of good stuff in it.

:D Indeed I do explain these basic concepts in my book! :D